Sign in to follow this  
Ozepete

Welcome to Cebu, now what can we steal?

Mikala

Welcome to 'It's more fun getting ripped off in the Philippines' What a fecking joke! It's grubs like this that spoil all the good work done by the majority.

I flew into T3 last Saturday AM and was casually asked what I had in my bags. I told them the small bag is clothing and the larger hard side bag was full of chocolates. They waved me past. Lucky I'm a foreigner!

I've also noticed that flight attendants, hotel staff, gf and others are much happier receiving American chocolates than any other. I used to stupidly buy some exotic great tasting (and looking) chocolates to distribute. Now I just bring crappy American chocolates (Hersheys, etc.).

• Like 6

big RB

I've also noticed that flight attendants, hotel staff, gf and others are much happier receiving American chocolates than any other

My wife carries stuff, including chocolate bars, for giving to customs. They never open anything if she is there. Under $10 gets red carpet treatment for all 4 of us. When I am alone, it never goes so well. But I think it is partly because I travel light when alone. They feel safe opening my bags. They fear hers as they look about to pop.

• Like 2

TrondK

Sadly this behaviour is normal in all 3d world countries.

They put a shiny uniform and alot of responsability on a peasant and expect him to behave and not taking advantage of the golden gooses. It is impossible when all these victims arrives and leaves the country thru the same sluice box called a Airport.......

These officers only do in small scale what the government does on the top. Everyone wants a little piece of the fortune cookie.

• Like 4

4thDan

and that makes it right and acceptable.... i see

• Like 3

trax

That's not a very warm welcome. Sucks. I hope they get diabetes from that chocolate.

Enuff

I've been through customs well over a dozen times, Manila and Cebu. Never once have the questioned me or looked in my bags. Typically coming to Cebu direct I fly KAL/Asiana so there are many Koreans they would rather harass.

My nephew is in college for customs work and starts his on the job training this fall. I look forward to bribing him to ease my customs woes should the need arise.

• Like 1

HeyMike

Twice coming in through Cebu airport customs guys called my wife over but my wife never looked at them and just waved her hand dismissing them and saying "it's okay" and she just walked out the door. The confused look on their faces ... priceless.

• Like 6

contraman

I have never had a problem at customs.

At times I have up to 3 bags of "Test Equipment".

Guess they don't quite know how to handle a Gorilla :)

Now Immigration, That's a different story :(

• Like 1

smokey

Our son and his Filipina fiance have just returned from a few weeks in Cebu catching up with her family before their wedding here in Oz in November. They flew into Cebu via Singapore with the usual load of chocolates for their relatives. The customs guys (two of them) open their cases and ask our son if he is Pinoy. When he says he is Australian but his fiance is Filipina, they close his case (also with chocolates) then a senior guy steps in and inspects the chocolate bars in the fiances case. The senior guy grabs three of the largest and best quality bars and says (translated:)  'We will have these.  Next time I won't bother you'!

They saw him gave his co workers a bar each. The thieving bastard! 

Welcome to 'It's more fun getting ripped off in the Philippines'  What a fecking joke! It's grubs like this that spoil all the good work done by the majority.

we had a few problems ourselves one with Cheese missing and the custom guys says to the women working after he opend out bag ... Do you want any of this cheese for you personal comsuption .. some people have what i think would be called the mini god

garg

Welcome to 'It's more fun getting ripped off in the Philippines' What a fecking joke! It's grubs like this that spoil all the good work done by the majority.

I travel a lot in SE Asia. This has only happened to me once, in Cebu of course.

I do believe they pck on the returning OFW's because they likely won't raise a stink. A foreigner on the other hand can be trouble especially if they've been around.

• Like 3

Monsoon

Under $10 gets red carpet treatment for all 4 of us

I always get the same treatment, a wave through, and have only ever given them the form. Which by the way you don't even have to fill out now unless you have something to declare.

• Like 2

tim

Posted Today, 03:18 AM I've been through customs well over a dozen times, Manila and Cebu. Never once have the questioned me or looked in my bags. Typically coming to Cebu direct I fly KAL/Asiana so there are many Koreans they would rather harass.

That is the way it goes for me too when I am coming to Mactan ...Last May, when I came on Asisana Air at midnight,.after immigration and getting my suitcases I got behind a line of Koreans for customs ...and someone on the side motion for me to just skip the whole process and leave.. I smiled and said thanks and was out in a few minutes... I have never seen them do that for any Koreans ... I get the feeling that there is no love lost for the koreans .  :yahoo:

• Like 2

bmoore

I dread US customs and immigration most. In the RP they actually smile. I once completely forgot a bag containing scuba equipment just outside customs at Mactan. I came back hours later and several immigration people helped me find the bag. I had figured all to be lost.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Enuff

That is the way it goes for me too when I am coming to Mactan ...Last May, when I came on Asisana Air at midnight,.after immigration and getting my suitcases I got behind a line of Koreans for customs ...and someone on the side motion for me to just skip the whole process and leave.. I smiled and said thanks and was out in a few minutes... I have never seen them do that for any Koreans ... I get the feeling that there is no love lost for the koreans . :yahoo:

The c downside is the arrival time, upside is filipinos desire to collect the yellow tax