k to 12 on International schools

i believe k-12 education system is used in United States, Canada, Australia and many other countries, including our own country Philippines , would this mean all  non international school including public school would be considered at par with the international school because k-12 is an international standard of education system?  :cool:

Headshot

No. I seriously doubt that it would mean that at all. The only way you can compare two schools (anywhere in the world) is by looking closely at both and also by comparing product. There are schools in the West that are better than any International school. There are also a lot of schools that are worse. Look at class size, teacher education and experience, facilities, courses offered (math, sciences, humanities, social studies, languages, arts, technical, advanced placement, etc.), extracurricular activities available, rankings by parents and students, and most importantly...how students rank on standardized tests. Then you can figure out what schools are worth sending your children to...and which schools are worth passing by on your way to someplace better.

It's not just the 12 years although that helps, but the curriculum, teaching standards etc.

Are you asking if schools offering 12 years of education may consider themselves on par with International schools? If so, no.

I have two children in high school. One child is a "fourth year" student, and will graduate this year after completing K-10 years of school.

I have another child in the same school who is a "grade seven" student. This means another six years of schooling.

So far, the seventh grader has had exactly the same curriculum as the other child.

Not sure how things will change as the years progress. I have doubts there will be any real significant change in the material that is covered. In effect, the K-12 will mean nothing as far as an improved education experience. In my opinion.

Just today we had parent teacher conferences after the first grading. One child got a disappointing grade in Physics. As it happens, the head teacher teaches the physics class. I might add that he retires in January and will be replaced, we hope. Last year a math teacher became ill, was not replaced for three months while he remained sick and eventually did not survive his illness. No one covered his lessons during this time and after he was gone, it was a rush to try to cover some of the material before the year ended.

As for the Physics teacher, his class lectures ALWAYS start on the subject but end up with him reminiscing about his youth and lost opportunities. Very little Physics is actually taught. So, today when we inquired about the weak progress of our child, we learned two important things.

First, he had adjusted the grading weight system from 40% to 30% for the exams. He did this since most of the students would have failing grades with the 40%. Problem solved. With a stroke of his pen the students were passing.

When many of the parents complained about the difficulty of the material, he explained it this way. College is hard so we make it hard now.

In fact, he barely covers the material, does not use a textbook for the lessons and wastes most class time on his own personal issues. So, I have to agree. He makes it hard.

I relate this story as only one of many examples we seen of this mediocre education currently in place. The only comfort we have is that we can expect the same in college.

I might add, this is a private high school sponsored by a local university!

Headshot

I might add, this is a private high school sponsored by a local university!

Please tell us which school this is. It will help others.

he had adjusted the grading weight system from 40% to 30% for the exams.
So 30% is passing?

we learned two important things. First,
and second?

No, 30% is not a passing grade. The grade is based upon classroom participation, attendance, quiz results, practical exercises, homework.....an accumulation of academic. I'm pretty sure this is a common practice in most schools. The advantage to changing from a higher percent to lower percentage is that a poor exam result will have less impact on the student's overall grade.

The smart family realizes this and has their child assisted by a family member or tutor. This assures their homework assignments and whatever graded projects and the like are done well. It always amuses me to see various homework projects brought in by classmates. Some are completed by hiring professionals such as making a poster or some "craft" exercise.

Not sure what the second is thing we learned is. Are you?

rainymike

And you should also keep in mind that using the word 'international' as part of a school's name does not have a uniform meaning. Neither does the designation of a 'private' school (only means you pay, not the state).

As other's have indicated, you need to look carefully at the school. And probably be prepared to be actively involved in your child's education.

• Like 1
Headshot

Not sure what the second is thing we learned is. Are you?

We still haven't learned the name of the school.

We still haven't learned the name of the school.

I'd prefer to not post the name of the school. I still have kids attending.

• Like 1