Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Diving on Camotes

JohnD

We are in the process of doing a diving and underwater analysis of Camotes Island. This will include marina biologists and other experts.

I would like to hear from any divers who have been here as to the marine life, reefs, etc that they have seen. Thanks.

Edited by JohnD

snt mig

John, can you please give us a little background about you and your business with diving in Camotes? What is the purpose of your marine survey?? Miguel

Headshot

John, can you please give us a little background about you and your business with diving in Camotes? What is the purpose of your marine survey?? Miguel

John didn't say that he has a diving business on the Camotes. It sounds like they are trying to map the reefs, so that interest is piqued and diving businesses can succeed in the future. One would hope that the reefs are given protection as underwater sealife refuges, but that requires political sponsorship. The first step, as they seem to be doing is to identify the reefs and sell the politicians on the premise that the reefs are a valuable resource and worth saving. Otherwise, any resulting map will just be used by the dynamiters to locate and destroy the reefs.

• Like 1

JohnD

The reason for the survey is #1 it has never been done and #2 we are exploring the possibility of putting the first underwater theme park in Asia on Camotes.

Think sunken Atlantis city which becomes an artificial reef for fish  Its good for the environment and island tourism.

The local governments on Camotes are progressive and focused on environmental issues.

• Like 1

Headshot

OK. So you are actually looking for and area without any good reef, so an artificial reef can be built. That would be a good thing. It would be a big mistake to put it in an area that already has beautiful reefs. There are artificial reefs left over from WWII all over the western Pacific due to the battles fought there, but many are too deep to dive. Artificial reefs are always a good thing provided they have been carefully thought out and executed in non-reef areas.

JohnD

We already have the location which is being site planned for the theme park and your right about setting up where there is no reef.

The survey along with the site needs is to be able to provide divers, marine biologists and others with detailed information about marine life here and the health of the ocean and reefs. One thing I did find out is Camotes is 1 of only 2 or 3 places in the world that has the majestic lion fish.

The final results of this is planned to be in a Discovery Channel program about the worlds reefs.

• Like 1

mikewright

The reason for the survey is #1 it has never been done and #2 we are exploring the possibility of putting the first underwater theme park in Asia on Camotes.

Think sunken Atlantis city which becomes an artificial reef for fish  Its good for the environment and island tourism.

The local governments on Camotes are progressive and focused on environmental issues.

If you're looking at the possibility of an artificial reef, have a look at Kawit on Ponson Island. Beautiful white sandy beach, but not much of interest under water off the beach.  Mind you, I was only snorkelling from a banca boat, so would have missed any deep reefs in the area. It was the town where the fishing boats brought in their catch in the morning, before packing it for sending to Ormoc.

Edit: Whoops, see you already have a site chosen.  What type of artificial reef are you planning?

Edited by mikewright

JohnD

Mike the location is in Cagcagan, Poro where the Monte Cristo Integrated Resort is being built with a clear view of Pilar (Ponson).

The underwater theme park is a 5 acre site and all become an artificial reef. It is built with a special non toxic concrete by a Reef Worlds from California. They actually designed the sets for "Avatar" and "Pirates of the Caribbean".

Thanks

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 2

tomaw

Sounds great! In Hawaii they sunk several old ships and planes on purpose to make an artificial reef. I saw some amazing sea life there on the submarine ride they had that went down 100 ft. I saw sea turtles, a very large nurse shark and all kinds of fish. I'd love to see something like this on Camotes!

tomaw

Mike the location is in Cagcagan, Poro where the Monte Cristo Integrated Resort is being built with a clear view of Pilar (Ponson).

The underwater theme park is a 5 acre site and all become an artificial reef. It is built with a special non toxic concrete by a Reef Worlds from California. They actually designed the sets for "Avatar" and "Pirates of the Caribbean".

Thanks

. Wow! Sounds cool! Hope it actually happens. I've read a lot about the plans for Camotes but not sure what will actually happen. The fact that the new mall actually got built is encouraging. I hope all these plans take place. They will make great vacation and retirement locations for the expats and provide much needed jobs for the locals.

bmoore

What is the state of natural reefs near the Camotes? I have only seen a single dive report from the area. It sounded promising.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk