homemade gasifier uses wood pellets to run generator

• 1 month later...

I liked your gasifier.  I have a piggery using a biogas sphere to dispose of the hog waste.  Our Filipino workers use the gas to cook in their dirty kitchens.  I am wondering if I could also this gas supply to run a small motor to power a generator driving a high pressure water sprayer for cleaning down the pens.  Anyone any technical ideas?

to_dave007

I have a piggery using a biogas sphere to dispose of the hog waste.

How long has that biogas sphere been in operation Frank. Fertilizer produced as well?

Edited by to_dave007

Pretty cool but wish he explained the manifold more.  

It is so simple a device you over think it. Just two valves and a t-connector as he is using it. Play around with the fresh air and smoke inlet to get the right mix so the engine run smooth.

What he has built is as he said the FEMA downdraft gasifier, it works but burns to cold and produces copious amounts of tar due to its low burn temp. 

DCFIG_S.1.png

I have been looking at this for years and to be honest the FEMA one is the one ppl start building and then they move on to an Imbert style gasifier where the air is fed to the burn area (hearth) by pipe. This makes it possible to get a grater temperature in the reduction zone so tar also evaporates (aka cracking tar). 

Hydrogen_Gen_Gas_Diagram_of_Downdraft_Ga

The Imbert gasifier is a type where the Hearth is coned in at the top of the reduction zone to generate more heat to crack the tar and make more gas for your engine and less tar to filter out. 

T0512e15.gif

The Imbert type one also have a thick pipe around the hearth with nozzles feeding air to the flames, this to heat the outside cold air coming in. You can also put the outside air inlet on top of the burn chamber above the gas outlet so that it has time to get real hot before entering the hearth.

That's it 4 now :) 

Edited by Runian

Hi Dave

Bio gas sphere has been running for over 3 years now. Yeah we have a pile good fertilizer that comes from scooping the 3 tanks to keep themreasonably clean.

Yes like that but ours is about 10 times the size since we are managing the waste from 200+ pigs.

to_dave007

... the waste from 200+ pigs.

Reminds me of the big pile at the end of the barn that I had the pleasure of loading into the shit spreader and spreading on the fields once or twice annually.. From about the same number of pigs. As a teenager. Lots and lots of shit. Great incentive to finish school.

• 1 year later...
easydrifter

I got bored last winter and built this gasifier from a 100 lb. Propane bottle and some pipe.

post-1-0-66370600-1446179400_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-88865300-1446179407_thumb.jpg

I got bored last winter and built this gasifier from a 100 lb. Propane bottle and some pipe.

Photos all sorted. 

easydrifter

I doubt if I'll be running a generator off of wood gas anytime in the near future, but I would like to get ahold of a rice husk gasifier cook stove like the one developed by Filipino engineer Alexis Belonio, when I get back to my dirty kitchen on that "dreaded southern island" next month.

Edited by easydrifter
bluecarabao

I liked your gasifier.  I have a piggery using a biogas sphere to dispose of the hog waste.  Our Filipino workers use the gas to cook in their dirty kitchens.  I am wondering if I could also this gas supply to run a small motor to power a generator driving a high pressure water sprayer for cleaning down the pens.  Anyone any technical ideas?

Sure,why not. Just get a gasoline powered pressure washer,run a line from sphere to air intake. You will need a Y fitting with two plastic valves. One valve is for your gas,the other is for your air. It will take a little fiddling around to get the mixture just right. If you have enough gas you could run a gas generator. I believe that manure methane is on the acidic side so you have to consider using some sort of filter like this one http://www.olx.ph/item/biogas-desulfator-ID6VTPg.html?p=1#a22da0a022 One thing you will notice is that your motor oil will never turn black as apposed to using gasoline for fuel. That translates into longer engine life.  There are a few pig farms in the Philippines that make their own electricity using biogas.