Pagusap ng Tagalog (Tagalog Practice)

FKLinguista

Magandang gabi sa iyong lahat!  Maraming salamat, Hellboy, sa i-accept ng kwento ko.  Si Tyler ako at nag-aaral ako ng tagalog mula 2011.  Pero tungkol sa'ng pag-aral ko sa kolehiyo, wala ako'ng oras para magpatuloy ng pag-aral sa tagalog.  Pinay ang asawa ng tatay ko, pero masyadong tamad sya para magusap kasama ko sa tagalog (gusto nya ng English, syempre).  Saka, ang gusto ng mga pinoy na kaibigan ko ay mag-uusap kasama ko sa English.  Nakatira ako dito sa States at konte lang mga pinoy sa lungsod ko.  Ano pwede kong gawa para tumaas ng tagalog ko?  Maraming salamat!

Translation:

Good evening, all!  Thank you, Hellboy, for accepting my account.  I'm Tyler and I've been studying Tagalog since 2011.  However, because of my studies at college, I don't have much time to continue studying Tagalog.  My father's wife is Pinay, but she's too lazy to converse with me in tagalog (she likes English, of course).  Also, my filipino friends all want to speak to me in English.  I live here in the States and there is only a small population of Pinoy in my city.  What can I do to improve my tagalog?  Thanks a lot!

(Responses in English, Tagalog, or even Cebuano [i can understand a little bit, due to the proximity] would be greatly appreciated!)

Get on Cherry Blossoms (or any filipino dating site) and practice away!

• Like 1
FKLinguista

Get on Cherry Blossoms (or any filipino dating site) and practice away!

If I were single, that would definitely be an option. But I'm not and don't plan to be anytime soon. Thanks anyway for the suggestion!

Headshot

If I were single, that would definitely be an option. But I'm not and don't plan to be anytime soon. Thanks anyway for the suggestion!

Don't worry. If you get on Cherry blossoms (or any other dating site with Filipinas on it), and your GF catches you...you will be single soon enough.

• Like 1
Jim Sibbick

You won't get much practice here. The language of Cebu and surrounding area is Bisaya.

If your step mother speaks Tagalog, surely she will be the best person to practice on. Or perhaps Tagalog is only a second language for her. Which is why she prefers English.

• Like 1

and your GF catches you...you will be single soon enough.

You may have that slightly off. She will be single. He will be dead, or neutered.

Seriously, it sounds odd to me that they (your friends and step mom) wouldn't be willing to speak in Tagalog with you. In the Philippines, they love it when people are learning their languages.  

• Like 1
Headshot

You may have that slightly off. She will be single. He will be dead, or neutered.

Naw...she's Burmese...not Filipina.

• Like 1
FKLinguista

You won't get much practice here. The language of Cebu and surrounding area is Bisaya.

To me, at least, it sounds similar enough that I could actually learn a lot of Tagalog through Bisaya, if i just realize what needs to be changed from one to another. Just an idea, though.

Seriously, it sounds odd to me that they (your friends and step mom) wouldn't be willing to speak in Tagalog with you. In the Philippines, they love it when people are learning their languages.

Honestly, I think it's just a lack of teaching patience. For example, I'm quite good at figuring out a lot of things with computers, but it irks me to no end when I have to teach a family member something, because they may not pick it up right away (and frankly,it somewhat makes me lose respect for them). With her, a native of Manila with a Bikolana mother, and an adoptive Tagalog family, speaking Tagalog is a natural thing, and she doesn't quite know how to explain the grammar. She's lived in the U.S. as a Registered Nurse since 1995, had 3 kids with some abusive white dude who couldn't care what ethnicity she was, and she got in the habit of speaking English with her kids (shame, if you ask me, that many pinoy families in the U.S. share this view that it's useless to speak Tagalog/Bisaya/Ilokano/Ilonngo with their kids, but, eh, their choice, not mine) and speaks Tagalog only with her family on Skype, her pinoy friends in town, and occasionally with me (and her toddler, but he doesn't really speak, yet, and I'm sure she'll switch to English with him soon). Also, I very rarely have the opportunity to visit my father and her, so it's hard to keep practicing with her anyway. This is why I figured, combined with the distance, lack of desire to actually teach, and the lack of desire to speak Tagalog alltogether, it would be beneficial for me to find a new teacher.

Naw...she's Burmese...not Filipina.

Techincally, she's Zomi/ Sizang (minority, kind of like how Ilokanos are in the Pinas), but I speak to her mostly in Burmese (and sometimes in Sizang, when I know enough words) and yes, she has threatened death if I cheat on her :P

Keep up the good conversation!

Headshot

Technically, she's Zomi/ Sizang (minority, kind of like how Ilokanos are in the Pinas), but I speak to her mostly in Burmese (and sometimes in Sizang, when I know enough words) and yes, she has threatened death if I cheat on her.  

OK...if that is the case, all I can say is "Run away as fast as you can!" It won't ever get any better, and it will likely get worse. Violent jealousy is NOT something you want to spend the rest of your life with. You might take it as a joke, but even if she tells you now that it was a joke, you can bet that it wasn't. She has already given you fair warning. Accept it for what it is, because if you ignore it, it is at your own peril. If you think she is perfect even after she told you that, then you need to step back and look at the relationship rationally...rather than through the eyes of love.

Given your interest in languages, you should spend some time traveling around the world really learning them by immersion (living with people who speak them), and that really isn't conducive to a long-term relationship. Bisaya is one of those languages where few can teach it...due to the fact that is spoken by so many, but never taught in the schools. This year, DEPED in the Philippines started teaching the subjects in the first three grades IN the children's native language (Bisaya here), but they are still not teaching the language itself. Therefore, because the rules of grammar or spelling have never been taught, nobody really knows them, and words and sentence structure can get twisted up pretty bad. It is a hard language to learn because there are many ways to say and spell things, and regardless of how you learn, there will always be somebody telling you that you did it wrong. There are many languages like that around the world.

Edited by Headshot

Get a Filipino TV channel or two and watch the soaps. Some are OK if you have a sense of humor. Not much help with conversation, but it helps a lot understanding.