Seems it was cheat/steal from foreigner day

Japanese national Miho Harada, 28, told the police that she was swindled by three persons who befriended her in a mall in Cebu City last Thursday. Harada said two men and a woman approached her in the mall around 8 a.m. and convinced her to go with them to an apartment in Barangay Quiot, Pardo to play Black Jack, a card game. She said the three were nice to her at first but she reportedly started noticing later that they were tricking her. She reportedly lost P533,000 cash and three gold bracelets worth a total of P240,000 to the three.

This story is almost as good as, My wife and daughter are held by guards in the supermarket.

:yahoo:

• Like 9
RogerDat

Greetings! I thought I read on this forum where Japan and Korean people were not considered foreigners?

Headshot

Greetings! I thought I read on this forum where Japan and Korean people were not considered foreigners?

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

I think that must have been another forum. Chinese? Sometimes mistaken for citizens (because there are so many Chinese living here long-term...many of whom are Philippine citizens). Japanese and Korean? Never. They will always be considered foreigners.

Buko Beach

You bet it's possible, that's how the scam often works.

Typical scenario.  Tourist meets some friendly locals, they speak his langage, they're well dressed, polite and educated, splash a bit of money around buying the tourist a meal, gain his confidence quickly. They let the tourist know about the card game, and are very upfront about it, they let the tourist know it's a crooked game.  They tell the tourist it's their dealer at the game, who'll slip the tourist the winning cards, and tourist, new friends and dealer will spil the proceeds after the game. New friends are so genuine they'll even provide the money to gamble with. There's always a reason why they need a tourist as the front man and why they can't play temselves.

Game gets underway, and it's exactly as the tourist has been promised -  he's on a winning streak, seems he just can't lose. He gets caught up in the game, when suddenly the big bets come out from the other players. He knows the dealer is on his side, feeding him the winning cards, so when his friends say they don'y have any more money, he's more than happy to bet with his own money. They lead him on to a massive bet, letting him know he has the winning hand, but he has to put up the cash himself, no credit.  Tourist puts up his own money, then loses big time.  "Friends" shrug their shoulders, can't win them all. Tourist can't complain to the police, he was in on the fact it was a crooked game from the start.

You could have saved a post, I know exactly how the scam works.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Anna Katharina Reiter, 24, a call center agent, said her bag contained an Iphone 5 worth P40, 000 and her necklace worth P100,000. The suspects fled fast right after snatching her bag, Reiter said.

I smell a travel insurance claim about to be made. 

mikewright

You could have saved a post, I know exactly how the scam works

Unfortunately there are still a few people that don't, judging by the stories of people still getting stung.

• Like 1
motorboy

This story is almost as good as, My wife and daughter are held by guards in the supermarket.

:yahoo:

now that's some funny shit

I used to lecture Japanese in Tokyo on how to avoid being a victim when going abroad

I have heard several stories

The one I hear most of is the " let me take your picture robbery" 

It was well known that the Japanese took $10K cameras with them overseas ( in the 90's)

A local would walk up to a tourist on say a beach and offer to take a picture - the local would then run off with the camera

I used to lecture Japanese in Tokyo on how to avoid being a victim when going abroad

I have heard several stories

The one I hear most of is the " let me take your picture robbery" 

It was well known that the Japanese took $10K cameras with them overseas ( in the 90's)

A local would walk up to a tourist on say a beach and offer to take a picture - the local would then run off with the camera

The camera snatching is not uncommon in California either. It happens in Hollywood, in San Francisco, anywhere the tourist are and there is somewhere to run. One I know of was actually caught as this idiot did it in Yosemite National Park. Where was he going to run?? Park Rangers everywhere. But 10k cameras are very tempting.