Yet another expat con man encounter at Ayala - "You got the time?"

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

This guy was mid to late 50's, grey short hair, perhaps a bit of a natural curl to it, a 'pitted' complexion from acne problems in his youth. Spoke with a heavy southern draw with maybe a bit of cajun in it, though this can be faked. Wearing shorts (plaid) and a Hawaiian-ish shirt.

Approaches me as I am going down the stairs to the new taxi stand that is on the same side as the jeepney terminal (which is to the left and across the street). Asks me if I have the time, I'm moving at a pretty quick pace so he has to ask me again, hearing the same phrase twice I turn around to find him asking me again. I tell him what time it is. He goes on to immediately ask me, "Which state? I hear the accent.." 

Oh boy here we go I think. I give him some random state. He says he's from down south and immediately asks, "Have you been to the south?" 

Umm,  this is awkward as there was no mistaking my walking pace that I was not out for a stroll, and clearly on my way somewhere. I guess he assumes most are going to get into the taxi line there and give him more time to work his con - whatever it is. But I wasn't going to the taxi stand. You strike up meaningless conversations with people at coffee shops, bars and such, not when they are in a fast paced walk out the door and down the stairs. 

I turned to look at him again, giving him a 'don't feck with me' look and answer him after turning away.  He stops dead on the stairs and retreats back to look for his next potential mark. 

Sometimes when I'm in the mood I go along with them to see what their con is and feck with them back but had a fecked up day and was in no mood. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has or will encounter this guy. 

Sorry no pic, was in no mood for any of it. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monsoon

• smokey

• motorboy

• towboat72

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chris (Monsoon) posted a thread just to let others know about this guy. Then, he catches shit about - similar to what happened with motorboy not too long back.  Guys, just appreciate the fact that a

I have run into a few tourists and even some lonely expats over the years who approached me in a similar way and all they then wanted was some chat and a few questions answered. I think some of us hav

That be the guy...   Hmm, funny he's still looking for the time at Ayala. And some people gave me shit for just assuming he was a beggar/bum/con man.    Lonely and need to ask some questions about

Posted Images

smokey

This guy was mid to late 50's, grey short hair, perhaps a bit of a natural curl to it, a 'pitted' complexion from acne problems in his youth. Spoke with a heavy southern draw with maybe a bit of cajun in it, though this can be faked. Wearing shorts (plaid) and a Hawaiian-ish shirt.

Approaches me as I am going down the stairs to the new taxi stand that is on the same side as the jeepney terminal (which is to the left and across the street). Asks me if I have the time, I'm moving at a pretty quick pace so he has to ask me again, hearing the same phrase twice I turn around to find him asking me again. I tell him what time it is. He goes on to immediately ask me, "Which state? I hear the accent.." 

Oh boy here we go I think. I give him some random state. He says he's from down south and immediately asks, "Have you been to the south?" 

Umm,  this is awkward as there was no mistaking my walking pace that I was not out for a stroll, and clearly on my way somewhere. I guess he assumes most are going to get into the taxi line there and give him more time to work his con - whatever it is. But I wasn't going to the taxi stand. You strike up meaningless conversations with people at coffee shops, bars and such, not when they are in a fast paced walk out the door and down the stairs. 

I turned to look at him again, giving him a 'don't Feck with me' look and answer him after turning away.  He stops dead on the stairs and retreats back to look for his next potential mark. 

Sometimes when I'm in the mood I go along with them to see what their con is and Feck with them back but had a fecked up day and was in no mood. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has or will encounter this guy. 

Sorry no pic, was in no mood for any of it. 

so excuse me sir but maybe i have been sleeping on my side to long and did not see it plain as day but where is the scam part..

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

so excuse me sir but maybe i have been sleeping on my side to long and did not see it plain as day but where is the scam part..

Trust me it was coming, I just cut him off before he could get there. I know it when i see it. 

• Like 1
Dragonladies.org

It's funny when you let them talk a bit, then cut them off, maybe telling them indirectly you know what they are up to, and THEY get indignant!!!!!

:)

Sometimes I just like to hear enough of the story to see if it's something new and original.

I'm waiting for 'I was adbucted by aliens, probed repeatedly, and dropped off in the middle of the night, HERE, with no money!  I need money for a bus ticket back to XXXXX'.

Highlighter

Trust me it was coming, I just cut him off before he could get there. I know it when i see it. 

So that I can be prepared, can you tell me what was coming?

If you're feeling up to it, maybe you can you go back tomorrow and get a pic?

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Sometimes I just like to hear enough of the story to see if it's something new and original.

Me too. In fact just as I was crossing the street I thought I should have listened to his speal, if nothing else for the sake of other forum members. 

Also, it was clear the guy was lurking outside the metal detector area on the top of the stairs waiting for his next victim. Tons of people also around to ask the time - most Filipinos standing around have a cell phone in one hand which tells the time. 

I'd put a handful of pesos on it that he's still there... 

SomeRandomGuy

Love to see a photo of this guy. A mate of mine fell for him a few years ago. Never been approached by anyone yet, I'm starting to feel left out. Be in cebu soon, ill take a pic if it ever happens

I'm awesome, just ask me

Half Baked

Did he have a big beard? That guy works ayala and sm.

So what

Did he have a big beard? That guy works ayala and sm.

Is he always around during Christmas time dressed in a red suit near the reindeer parking ?

Does he steal the person's watch after they tell him the time ?

• Like 6
throttleplate

2683391-worst_thread_ever.jpg

• Like 7

man I will try to switch it up if I remember next time .. 

scammer  : hey sir u have the time 

me : yeah its blablabla

scammer : oh your englis is good , where u from ? 

me : Norway, you sir ? 

scammer : blabla somewhere

me : cool, dude my date ran of with my wallet can I hit u up for a few K pesos I am in deep shit here ? 

Me ; watching his face as it changes from hope of more cash to wtf I am getting scammed .. :ROFLMAO:

;) then I go to my pc an check if some1 posts here about a Norwegian scammer in Ayala :D 

Edited by Runian
  • Like 5
motorboy

post-8212-0-31106000-1408993227_thumb.jpg

Is this the guy? He used the same exact line on me, I posted his photo a few months ago and caught some flack about it

• Like 3
Alfred E. Neuman

I see him all the time in Ayala with his red shirt.

This image is not the fellow being spoken of. I have seen the infamous fellow many times, been approached only once. Same routine as described. When I do see him, he is usually with another expat-looking man, chatting. I might add that the conversation seems to be just that, a conversation. The single time I spoke with him he had an interesting tale having to do with losing money on a chicken farm somewhere in the country. He had a sick mother as I recall. No details really worth remembering. As my wife approached and I was beginning to depart, he asked for a couple of bucks. Not sure if that is a scam. Seemed like a pleasant fellow, but more of a loser than a scammer. Probably worth talking to if he approaches you.

• Like 2