Sign in to follow this  
quit_yume

How Difficult to Buy an Offshore Fishing Boat in Philippines?

quit_yume

Thinking 30' range.  All the typical amenities and electronics one would get in the US etc...

Bill H

Be more specific.  Are you wanting a trawler, a banca, a cat, what?

When you say off shore, do you mean you want to be able to head back to the States, Australia or just local waters?

Power or sail?

Is the use for commercial fishing or pleasure?

When you say:

All the typical amenities and electronics one would get in the US etc
 What do you mean?  What kind of electronics?

That said, boating infrastructure is almost non-existent outside Manila or Cebu and even then, it is very limited.  If you can find the "electronics" you are looking for, getting it serviced or even installed will probably be problematic.  The Philippines is in the dark ages yachting wise, which is a real shame, since there are some terrific cruising grounds here.

• Like 2

quit_yume

i kind of had a feeling this would be a problematic proposition.  

I am thinking sportfishing / motoryacht.  

I am looking at boats right now and was wondering what to do with it if i buy one and then end of going to the philippines.   not sure i would want to deal with crossing the pacific having my filipina wife as 1st mate.. lol.

im thinking that having it transported would be cost prohibitive as well so now i am just wondering if i could find a decent boat right there in phils.

-quito

Bill H

Traditional motor yachts are not common here.  You might find one in Manila or Subic, but I've never seen any good deals.  If you go the Banca route you would get a very basic open boat with nothing on it, probably not even a head.

You might consider picking something up in Thailand or Oz.  The trip here is just island hoping, so you don't need a boat with really long legs.  Sometimes there are deals in Indonesia too.  Oz tends to be very pricey, but check Yachtworld.com you can specify the area you are interested in geographically.

Lastly there is China.  No used boats there, but some of their new boats sell for near used boat prices.  Quality is an issue however.

Hope this helps.

miles-high

I have been looking at “motorsailers” now and did some research and have extensive talk with the guys from Tsuneishi Shipyard in Cebu (not that my motorsailers would be as big as they manufacture ;))…

In any case, as long as you are in the Subic Bay or Manila area, maintenance would be no problem on those electronics such as air conditioner, genset, fridge and freezer, SSB, VHF, radar, Satcom, etc.

Also, depending on who handles those spare parts, Subic being a free port, you may get them quick and free of duty, etc. if your boat is a foreign registered one with a visitor status – I am looking into this… My friend just had his 64ft motor yacht shipped on deck from the US to Hong Kong then sailed it to Subic… He tells me the shipping cost from the US to Hong Kong is much less expensive.

His has the top of the line Furuno 3 x 14” displays which monitors everything onboard and have no problem getting good service in Subic. Although he tells me you can also get good service at Port Bonbonon, Negros, I don’t know much about it. If you had a state of the art boat, Cebu is probably not the place to get good maintenance.

Another friend who has a 126ft boat tells me Subic is the only place he can get decent maintenance service… :)

spritsail

Sibuto, Tawi Tawi is probably the only place in the Philippines where you could get a motorsailing boat built (in wood planked). The boat builders there are indonesian origin - only 12 miles from Kalimantan, and probably the wood used 0 Belian (ironwood( is smuggled across from Indonesia. They built the boats for the Everest Expedition (reactment of the original Malays immigration into the Philippines).   Jubail Myong is a leading authority on boatbuilding - a professor at he Mindinao University ion Bongao, Tawi Tawi.   A turkish Gulet is also a fine motor sailor but you would need a delivery crew to get one here.  I bought my phinisi in Indonesia - Bira - Sulawesi and sailed it here -

post-7590-0-46461400-1408916138_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

spritsail

As the original topic question " How difficult to get an inshore fishing boat in the Philippines " then go to SAFI Marine in Gen Santo City with plans - steel huil and they can build in 6 weeks, or go to Shipyard in Jasaan, Cagayan de Oro and about the same.

Bear in mind that its almost impssoble to set up an inshore fishing business here - meaning a boat with net haulers,trawl winches etc without the locals getting infuriated. You could off course fish outside Philippine waters - Siagao, Gulf of Moro, (between Indonesia and Philippines) but its very deep water - over 6000 mts .

My ex trawler / netter in England would be an ideal choice for catching sole and crays

post-7590-0-37995700-1408917280_thumb.jpg

tomaw

Somewhere in this forum I read about getting a good sized cabin cruiser from mainland China and bringing it to Cebu on its own power. Might be worth looking into.

big RB

As the original topic question " How difficult to get an inshore fishing boat in the Philippines " then go to SAFI Marine in Gen Santo City with plans - steel huil and they can build in 6 weeks, or go to Shipyard in Jasaan, Cagayan de Oro and about the same.

Bear in mind that its almost impssoble to set up an inshore fishing business here - meaning a boat with net haulers,trawl winches etc without the locals getting infuriated. You could off course fish outside Philippine waters - Siagao, Gulf of Moro, (between Indonesia and Philippines) but its very deep water - over 6000 mts .

My ex trawler / netter in England would be an ideal choice for catching sole and crays

Yes, it is a real can of worms to open if you get to fishing as a business. Boats and business's require city/burunguy permits to operate beyond the normal business licenses. And that is for average pumpboats, go beyond that and the world might stop rotating. 

• Like 1

Dublin boy

I looked into getting a boat when I was in Cebu for me it was the cost of marinas and no real experience locally of looking after a boat so I gave up in the end. Marina costs in mactan are more than over priced shall we say

quit_yume

Check out the Puerta Galera Yacht Club site in Mindoro.  They have a few boats for sale that might interest you.

http://www.pgyc.org/power-boats-for-sale.php

excellent link... thank you for it easy44.

• Like 1

quit_yume

I was actually looking for 'offshore'.   but even so, i would still be a little paranoid about some official realizing i was based out of their area taking foriegners on some deep sea day trips.  maybe they would invent a new tax just for me.

big RB

If you choose to go a bit more native and get a pump boat, you might be surprised.

There is some great boat build up, etc. treads on this sight to check out, mostly by Boat guy. He builds boats here.

I was surprised by my wife a while back to discover we had one. It was about 20 meters long and had a Isuzu diesel and transmission out of a truck. ( 4 speed tranny in a boat) . My wife's family were fishing with our boat every night and some days that the weather was not too bad. I went out maybe 10% of the time. We had a lot of fresh fish, and stocked a nieces fish booth at the local market. But much like my multi cab PU truck, the boats fuel tank was empty every time I got in the boat. Would you go to sea, even just off shore, with 100 pesos worth of diesel? My brother in law will. Then when it comes to maintenance on boats, you need to be proactive. That is not easy to get Philippinos to be. The penny wise, pound foolish rule comes to play quickly. So even my wife eventually could see we were loosing on the deal economically, and we got out of it. The plywood here really sucks ant the leaks are enormous. Annual painting is not even adequate a lot of the time. The boat is beached, and drug 200 meters up to avoid storms, but then the hull suffers. Our boat and all the licenses were never in the name of any foreigner either. So I did not have much issues there. Also our boat was pretty common. Who you know is always important here with such issues too. 

• Like 1

smokey

i kind of had a feeling this would be a problematic proposition.  

I am thinking sportfishing / motoryacht.  

I am looking at boats right now and was wondering what to do with it if i buy one and then end of going to the philippines.   not sure i would want to deal with crossing the pacific having my filipina wife as 1st mate.. lol.

im thinking that having it transported would be cost prohibitive as well so now i am just wondering if i could find a decent boat right there in phils.

-quito

well first you would need PERMISSION to bring the boat i would think ... IF you living in aother country and just visiting is one thing to bring a boat from overseas to stay a different story ,, you know they can in many cases container a boat check out HTX international they have a way of loading a boat sideways in the container