Harder to Marry Filipina

Maybe or maybe not since Filipinos must get certificate from DFA via the commission of Filipinos overseas CFO to be allowed to leave the Philippines. If they don't have the stamp they can be stopped from leaving. Will there be extra requirements to clear CFO?

For a spouse visa yes I believe, but they can travel on a tourist visa and get married - just means they have to return to the Phils to apply for a long term visa, by which time the deed is done!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMC-Retired

• Monsoon

• Majorsco

• SomeRandomGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All this concern about 'our woman'! How bloody hypercritical!  When these blood sucking politicians grow a backbone and start administering real reforms for the Philippine people, then and only then

thankfully no such things happen in filipino families

I wonder when they will write a law protecting Filipinas from Filipinos who have no means to support a family. This bill tries to vilify foreigners, but instead just highlights the plight of Filipinas

Majorsco

For a spouse visa yes I believe, but they can travel on a tourist visa and get married - just means they have to return to the Phils to apply for a long term visa, by which time the deed is done!

I know if Filipinos, in married, traveling with a boyfriend out if the country needing CFO clearance. It happened to a friend wanting to take a girl for Christmas holiday to Phuket for a one week vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i think it would be pretty funny getting a certificate from the government speaking to moral character 

• Like 3
oztony

“The real motive for marriage is only to take advantage and exploit our women by making them work for the family and worse, by sending them to prostitution and other degrading and dehumanizing occupations,” she said. “The exploitation of our Filipino women, through the so-called mail-order or pen-pal, Facebook, website made, and other internet made marriages, has not only caused untold miseries and suffering to our Filipino women but it has also brought dishonor and disgrace to the Filipino womanhood,” Garcia added.

That has got to be the biggest pile of crock that I have read for quite a while , and Mrs Garcia should read the link I am about to post below if she wants to know the truth . The link is well worth the effort and time to read , and is well researched and accurate . There will no doubt be those that don't like it , because of how much they love their wives etc. I love my wife but I love the truth also , And just because I love my wife it doesn't mean that I am prepared to ignore facts and cold hard truth , although I may not agree with all of the article , I agree with more of it than I don't agree with , and I suppose because I am lucky and have got a genuine wife I am not affected so much by the article .  I will place an excerpt of some of it with the link to the full article below.(I may get a warning for this , just to be clear I had this link emailed to me and thought some of it was relevant , and if you don't want to read anymore than the excerpts , its easy don't open the link)

The proliferation of internet cafes in the Philippines where young Filipinas flock to in droves to seek out communications with foreign men capable of sponsoring them for emigration and financially supporting them and their extended family members, is a clear manifestation of this phenomenon. Indeed, this hobby has transformed into a social custom in recent years, existing as a national past-time amongst young Filipinas, leading to foreign men being invited into financial remittances, or vacations in the Philippines culminating in physical relationships, with the ultimate goal for many being a fiancée visa out of the Philippines.

At least in Australia, the government has acknowledged this trend and have implemented guidelines for assessments of visa applicants based upon inter alia, country of nationality, background, age and gender; these guidelines being to safeguard the integrity of the visa application process. The Australian government classifies young Filipinas as a ‘high risk’ category, so much so that such visa applicants are heavily scrutinised and are imposed a ‘no further stay’ condition when granted a temporary visa to Australia.

Countries such as the United States and Australia find themselves devoting huge financial resources to assess spouse visa applications which are not genuine, having to face the economic reality that the majority of newly acquired citizens do not retain their money internally but opt to remit money back home in order to sustain the Philippines;

In 2009, about US$17.348 billion in remittances was sent to the Philippines by overseas Filipinos, higher than in previous years, according to GMA News. Indeed, this parasitical dependency has drained the financial and legal resources of many wealthy developed countries such as the United States, Canada and Australia. This problem is not one which is only caused by the Philippines, but it is necessary to concede that the Philippines is a major contributor to this phenomenon.

http://ulyssesulysses.hubpages.com/hub/Why_do_so_many_men_report_bad_Filipina_dating_marrying_experiences

• Like 6
SomeRandomGuy

I showed my woman this and she said" who the feck does that bitch think she is?. I can marry a filipino and end up in a bamboo hut and its love, marry a foreigner and its how much money, feck these beavers"

Shit I'm going to have to marry this woman, she takes my breath away when she talks like that

I'm awesome, just ask me

• Like 6
Scruffydog

I am sure most of you know, but the U.S. already requires you to do something similar. when i married my wife, I had to send in letters from my employer, Income Tax returns, assets etc. They also do a police back ground check.

We had to meet a certain income level.

They want to make sure that if you bring a wife over , she will not become a govt burden, like the 12 million sneaking across the boarder .

• Like 3
musicman666

I am sure most of you know, but the U.S. already requires you to do something similar. when i married my wife, I had to send in letters from my employer, Income Tax returns, assets etc. They also do a police back ground check.

We had to meet a certain income level.

They want to make sure that if you bring a wife over , she will not become a govt burden, like the 12 million sneaking across the boarder .

But this bill is preventing foreigners from marrying Filipinas .....your talking about bringing a wife over.....not quite the same thing.

Alan S

It  would be interesting if they passed a law making sure that Filipinos had the resources to support a wife and family before allowing them to marry.

Not that it will happen, it is just "foreigner bashing" as usual.

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon
Every time I turned around prior to marrying my wife, I was asked for something regarding income - whether it Legal Capacity to Marry, or some other document some where to showing bank statements  Nothing new just another name 

I was never asked anything about employment, income or net worth at any stage of marrying here in the Philippines. The legal capacity comes from your embassy - and they didnt ask me anything about money (except for the $50 it costs to get this useless piece of paper from them.) 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon
But it does bring up a interesting questions It is ok for the US to demand from Immigrants coming to the US proof that they will not be a burden on our resources, but we are put out because the Philippines wants to do the same thing?

That is a total apples to oranges comparison. 

US immigration does require some proof of financial capability. And so should it. So does the immigrant visa process in the Philippines. Part of the 13A process includes some financial ability. Sure its less stringent that that of the US, but nonetheless it is already there. 

We are talking about further governmental interference into a fundamental human right - marriage. If the US government decided that there are far too many fools going to the Philippines and marrying a girl for looks whose family will prey on him, leach his limited money and ultimately even have him killed for financial gain. And based on that risk the US government decides that all men marrying Filipinas must attend a class, and go for psychological screening. That would be an outrage. Why should the government get involved in deciding who is suitable for marriage? 

Been married before? Oops, no you had your chance, no more marriage for you. 

The problem with these silly fools making legislation is they are so far out of touch with reality that they think it will be effective. The US embassy is already tasked with providing a 'legal capacity to marry' but they can not provide such document because there is no database, so they provide an 'affidavit in lieu of legal capacity." 

What is this document? Its a load of shit, that is what it is. So what will they provide under this law? Another affidavit, another crock of shit. Or perhaps they will say, "Sorry we can not provide this document." and there will be a stalemate. 

Well the Filipino government is already involved in that, and they want to be more involved. How ridiculous. 

It starts with silly rules like having to have a return ticket to leave your own country and grows from there. 

Wake up sheeple of the Philippines! 

Why create a law like this controlling marriage? At least the guy is willing to marry the girl. Why not get at the heart of the problem - eliminate the conditions that create the desperation and ignorance in your own people causing them to seek out anyone who they see as a solution to their poverty. Instead of finding a soulmate, too many desperate poor are looking for a solution. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

They talk as if they came up with something New. The U.S. already require an AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT plus latest income tax filed. :no money no honey!

musicman666

The philippines signed the UN charter.....part of that agreement was to uphold the right to marry Without Limitation......this bill is dead in the water.

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

They talk as if they came up with something New. The U.S. already require an AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT plus latest income tax filed. :no money no honey!

You are talking about immigration sponsorship, not marriage. Two totally separate issues.  

• Like 2

The law can't work in reality.

Example of a way you can avoid this law:

Bring your woman on a "1peso" trip to Thailand and marry there. When you return you will get a year's stay.

I believe she would have to get approval from the Philippines embassy or Consulate in Thailand.  So you would be subject to the same laws (i.e. the 10 day posting period, and this bill if it passes.)

Edited by LaserLou

You are talking about immigration sponsorship, not marriage. Two totally separate issues.  

It's hair splitting. The K-1 Visa, which is what most Filipinas emigrate to the US under, requires a certain income level, plus significant proof of finances. There are lots of men who actually make that amount of cash but because they are self-employed and their income tax returns don't accurately reflect said income, they don't qualify. Those visas get denied every day. Therefore they either cannot get married, or the guy has to go back to the Philippines, marry the girl, and start the process all over with the Spousal Visa.

If you go to the visa forums like VisaJourney, they raise the same complaints as here: that it's the government intruding on rights to marry, it's unfair to us poor kanos, etc. etc. Bottom line in either case, if you have a decent income or assets, it's an easy requirement; if you don't you are screwed.

Everyone seems to be harping on the financial aspects of the proposed law. No one seems to be worrying about proving good character. For some expats or fiancés of Filipinas that might be the tougher thing to prove :)

Course you could just listen to Joni Mitchell and not get married, 'We don't need a piece of paper from the barangay hall, keeping us tried and true..."