Harder to Marry Filipina

USMC-Retired

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2014/08/20/1359727/bill-seeks-strict-requirements-foreigners-marrying-pinays

MANILA, Philippines - In view of protecting Filipino women from exploitation, the House of Representatives has approved on second reading a measure providing for additional requirements for male foreigners who want to marry them.

The House Committee on Revision of Laws, chaired by Pangasinan Rep. Marlyn Primicias-Agabas, sponsored for plenary approval House Bill 4828, which substituted HB 2387 authored by Cebu Rep. Gwendolyn Garcia.

“The bill shall protect Filipino women against exploitation of foreigners who marry without evident means to support a family,” Primicias-Agabas said.

Garcia said some of the foreigners coming to the country to marry Filipino women are vagabonds or social and moral derelicts in their own country.

“The real motive for marriage is only to take advantage and exploit our women by making them work for the family and worse, by sending them to prostitution and other degrading and dehumanizing occupations,” she said.

“The exploitation of our Filipino women, through the so-called mail-order or pen-pal, Facebook, website made, and other internet made marriages, has not only caused untold miseries and suffering to our Filipino women but it has also brought dishonor and disgrace to the Filipino womanhood,” Garcia added.

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

Under the measure, the prospective foreign husband shall provide a certificate of good moral character and a certificate that he has a gainful trade, business, employment or other lawful source of income to be issued by his country’s diplomatic or consular official, in addition to the usual certificate of legal capacity.

The measure amends Article 21 of Executive Order 209, otherwise known as the Family Code of the Philippines.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMC-Retired

• Monsoon

• Majorsco

• SomeRandomGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All this concern about 'our woman'! How bloody hypercritical!  When these blood sucking politicians grow a backbone and start administering real reforms for the Philippine people, then and only then

thankfully no such things happen in filipino families

I wonder when they will write a law protecting Filipinas from Filipinos who have no means to support a family. This bill tries to vilify foreigners, but instead just highlights the plight of Filipinas

USMC-Retired

What is the dollar amount is my question as is everything in the PH it has a price tag to allow you to marry.

• Like 3

“The exploitation of our Filipino women, through the so-called mail-order or pen-pal, Facebook, website made, and other internet made marriages, has not only caused untold miseries and suffering to our Filipino women but it has also brought dishonor and disgrace to the Filipino womanhood,” Garcia added.

This women's lib thing about her is really starting to get out of hand. 

• Like 1
topcat72m

I remember seeing a documentary about a pinay marrying a Korean man. It was quite disturbing to watch and I imagine it's the kind of thing that this is trying to avoid.

USMC-Retired

Really or is it hiding the real motive,,,, MONEY. They will send female Filipinas to god knows everywhere to work. Dangers abound them at every turn. It is about money simple. When a Filipina leaves to work there is a promise to send money. When a Filipina goes for CFO (married to expat) money and responsibility to support families is discussed. However if you are broke nothing comes the PH way... Not to harsh but it is what it is and nothing new. Bleed every well for every peso. It will cost 1000 pesos for verification just like a legal capicity to marry does.

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 6
contraman
a certificate of good moral character and a certificate that he has a gainful trade, business, employment or other lawful source of income to be issued by his country’s diplomatic or consular official,

Well that will provide more employment for Filipinos that seem to be employed but not do too much at our embassy's.

I like the part that says Lawful source of income  - Something that perhaps those making this law would not qualify for :)

Slightly Off Topic but:

If you go to your embassy here   It is staffed by Filipinos

If yo go to the Philippines embassy in you own country   It is staffed by Filipinos 

I have recently witnessed this first hand,  

Hows that work ?

Edited by contraman
  • Like 7
Mikala

some of the foreigners coming to the country to marry Filipino women are vagabonds

VAGABOND:

1. moving from place to place without a fixed home : WANDERING
  2. a :  of, relating to, or characteristic of a wanderer

b :  leading an unsettled, irresponsible, or disreputable life

Gosh! I've always wanted to be a vagabond, but never knew that I've been one since 18 years of age!  :yahoo:

:wave:

I guess I'd barely qualify though since I do have a job that's semi-respectable.

Drinks on me boys!!

:bar:

• Like 1
bounder

I wonder if they are going to check the foreigner's teeth too before letting them marry.    WHINNEY!!!   

Just another reason to get a little more money from the foreigners.

Majorsco

Simple. Big bank account and big salary equals more remittances back to the Philippines so the foreigners can support more filipino families. It is their war on the poor approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

I don't care to much for money, money cant buy me love

I'm awesome, just ask me

• Like 2
contraman

I don't care to much for money, money cant buy me love

Sounds like the makings of a good song :)
  • Like 5