The dangers of driving in flip flops / slippers / thongs

A man has driven his car into his own swimming pool after getting his flip flops tangled up in the pedals.

The man, believed to be in his 80s, escaped unharmed after his white sedan shot through the back door of his garage and into the pool in Los Angeles.

cegrab-20140817-122444-407-1-942x530.jpg

http://news.sky.com/story/1320178/man-drives-into-pool-as-flip-flops-get-tangled

Skywalker

This is not about flip flops, this is about a very old fool who shouldn't be driving.

• Like 9
SkyMan

At least in my state, it's illegal to drive in flip flops for this very reason.  Barefoot is ok but not recommended.  Of course, how are they going to tell unless they pull you over by which time you have them off, or in this guy's case, he tells them.  I suspect, however, SkyWawlker is correct in this case.

Mikala

Wet flip-flops are a hazard to driving safely. I had my feet slip off the pedals several times while driving my PInzgauer in Hawaii. Learned to either just be barefoot or wear shoes.

throttleplate

and our days are coming as we will be old fools not allowed to drive,shitting are pants,lookin forward to it.

• Like 1
shadow

Oh look, Mildred, we have a car pool!

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

car in the pool ain't so bad

i remember a summer when i was a kid that there was a car in the bottom of the red hook pool all summer long .. never stopped anyone from using the pool

flip flops are no problem for me i don't wear them.. not a sandal wearer neither

i remember we had a kid move in the neighborhood from california once he wanted to walk around brooklyn barefoot .. we put a stop to that pretty quick

Barefoot is ok but not recommended.

When I lived in the US, I owned a 1990 Jeep YJ (square / rectangular headlamps). I used to always take my flip flops off while driving, and just do so barefoot. 

Some people even actually believe it is illegal to drive barefoot in the US. It is not, in any state. Well, it wasn't at the time I moved away, anyway.

Driving barefoot, I found it much easier to "feel" what was happening when applying the brakes, and with my food on the accelerator. If I lived there now, I would drive the same way.

flip flops are no problem for me i don't wear them.. not a sandal wearer neither

You probably have gorilla feet. Tell true. 

• Like 1
shadow

When I lived in the US, I owned a 1990 Jeep YJ (square / rectangular headlamps). I used to always take my flip flops off while driving, and just do so barefoot. 

Some people even actually believe it is illegal to drive barefoot in the US. It is not, in any state. Well, it wasn't at the time I moved away, anyway.

Driving barefoot, I found it much easier to "feel" what was happening when applying the brakes, and with my food on the accelerator. If I lived there now, I would drive the same way.

Yes, I feel much better with your food on the accelerator too!

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

my feet are beat up from years of wearing tight cleats ... that aside i don't like stuff between my toes

and only weirdos like feet anyway.. ahem

• Like 2

that aside i don't like stuff between my toes

Back when I was in my teens, I dated a girl whose family owned a chicken farm. That girl would run through a chicken house barefoot, with - well, God only knows what on the ground of that chicken house. I'm talking about a chicken house the size of a huge  barn, thousands and thousands of birds. 

But, when they were clean, she had some of the most beautiful feet I ever saw on a woman.

• Like 2
Mikala

Yes, I feel much better with your food on the accelerator too!

Such as a 12 inch Subway sandwich to get that 'special' seasoning?

• Like 2
Mikala

Back when I was in my teens, I dated a girl whose family owned a chicken farm.

I think I now understand Paul's fascination with chickens....

:notallthere:    :crazy:    :itsokay:

• Like 4
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Back when I was in my teens, I dated a girl whose family owned a chicken farm. That girl would run through a chicken house barefoot, with - well, God only knows what on the ground of that chicken house. I'm talking about a chicken house the size of a huge  barn, thousands and thousands of birds. 

But, when they were clean, she had some of the most beautiful feet I ever saw on a woman.

she's lucky she didn't burn her feet clean off chicken crap is vicious stuff

shadow

I think I now understand Paul's fascination with chickens....

:notallthere:    :crazy:    :itsokay:

And his taste for feet!

• Like 3