• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chance555

• smokey

• jtmwatchbiz

• batman2525

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your pension starts in another two years, then I would suggest that you just come for a vacation and then go back to Wales for another two years while you build up your nest egg. The Philippines is

I have spent plenty of time Phillipine slums. You are not in mortal danger but it is hard to find a comfortable chair to sit in and it soon gets very dull. Give a go. Years ago l thought it kinda fun.

Don't forget the onions.       .

Posted Images

A_Simple_Man

Thanks for the advice so far but has anybody ever experienced walking around and in these areas

Yes, but you are talking about a big place.  I have walked all around quite a bit of Mactan Island with the Cebu HHH but that was about 3 years ago and back.  There were no problems during the day but some of the areas were not recommended for walking alone at night.  You would have to get quite specific about where you are walking as some areas may be havens for drunks and shabu addicts while other areas are fine.

For Real

Thanks for the advice so far but has anybody ever experienced walking around and in these areas

I walked around for a few years from break of dawn till sun down...there is risk that your gf would should understand.

If you walk around with your gf she will hear the local lads talking about wanting to fight you etc in Her native tounge. The place is pretty much a shit hole once you are outside compounds. Is there anywhere else you could stay? I'd call the scenery and the risk a there a waste of a well earned holiday. If budget is the issue, get out north of Consolacion or south of Minginilia. If you want to have a nice time with your GF There are better places to do so.

topcat72m

I'm glad this topic came up. I was thinking that mactan would be a place worth looking at for my stay from November to February. I was looking online to get a guide and saw some nice apartments for rent.

From maps it looks close enough to Cebu to get there easily enough but far from the city. However if it is not safe then I think ill scrap that idea.

Chance555

Many thanks for your candid replys .....so other option is living in Danao any ideas about thst place .... Haha it just gets better lol

In the mountains there ?

For Real

Many thanks for your candid replys .....so other option is living in Danao any ideas about thst place .... Haha it just gets better lol

In the mountains there ?

There are really pretty mountains between Carmen and Sogood and the surrounding areas. Further north is still recovering from Yolanda but worth a look.
A_Simple_Man

I have walked all around quite a bit of Mactan Island

so other option is living in Danao any ideas about that place

I have also walked/hiked quite a bit from Danao up into the nearby mountains and always felt safe.  The reason I would never chose to live in Danao is that I find it boring and too far to the nearest decent shopping, which would be at SM Mall Consolation in my opinion.  They do have Gaisano and Prince in Danao so you may like it just fine.  But yes, I find it as safe as any similar place.

• Like 1
batman2525

Yes....my Son....he has hung around areas like you describe he always comes back ok.....doesn't mean I endorse his actions though.....because you never know.

• Like 1
CaptainNemo

One boring night, I failed an interview just for kicks, let the wise-man lead me deep into a downtown squatter area, narrow path, single file maze, to a dead-end where his two accomplices were waiting. Oops! What a rush!

Nice rush indeed....so they did not truly hold you up, things were just heading that way.  He was probably slightly drunk and said ohh shot my friend ok this way...When you got there you could feel the vibe of being sized up.  

So what did he offer you / how did he convince you do follow him?  

If your gfs family is from there, and they walk with you coming in and out, the people will respect you as a guest there.  There are different types of squatter2 places.  The one your talking about being close to the highway is fine, that's middleclass.  Youll have no problems coming and going during the daytime.  There is a large undercurrent of shabu(meth) in these places so avoid walking alone late at night.  Other than that, your location in lapu2 means youll be able to explore Cebu easier and Cebucity.  Plus the sister + girlfriend combo could get to you, who knows.  Easy to visit the sister from time to time anyway, its close enough.    

batman2525

There again....Ive stayed in the Lapu lapu area 4 times in the past and Ive never had a problem(safer than Cardiff on a friday night)....I didnt go walking around in the middle of shanty town etc but everything seemed ok and usually stayed quite close to where I was staying at night....hope you have a great time.....Im going in Nov and im currently looking for a place in Lapu Lapu or close by,im not concerned....."knock on wood"

• Like 1
batman2525

.my plan next year is to move out there and consider living in a small budget until my public sector pension kicks in in two years time

Im doing the same as you Taff,I grew up in the U.S so I can start collecting my Social Security(pension) when Im 62...however I will wait until im receiving the pension before I do the move....thinking about doing 6&6 until then.

My Mother was from Wales....

• Like 1
Chance555

Im doing the same as you Taff,I grew up in the U.S so I can start collecting my Social Security(pension) when Im 62...however I will wait until im receiving the pension before I do the move....thinking about doing 6&6 until then.

My Mother was from Wales....

Nice to see a bit of Taff in you

There again....Ive stayed in the Lapu lapu area 4 times in the past and Ive never had a problem(safer than Cardiff on a friday night)....I didnt go walking around in the middle of shanty town etc but everything seemed ok and usually stayed quite close to where I was staying at night....hope you have a great time.....Im going in Nov and im currently looking for a place in Lapu Lapu or close by,im not concerned....."knock on wood"

Be nice to chat sometime send me you skyoe or mail

Tom

• Like 1

Hi I'm visiting cebu again next month .....my last visit was to Boljoon a nice place on the coast I felt very safe walking around the and all were very friendly and accommodating .... However this visit will be in lapu lapu and I will be staying with my gf for a few weeks ..... My concern is she lived off the highway a few hundred yards into tin town alley shall we say!!!! So how safe is it for a expat to be venturing off the main highway/ road / street into the shack little houses area where much poverty lies .....

Will I be seen as a target or will I be embraced .....anybody here ventured into such an area and how safe did they feel as we all think we can protect ourselves ...but I don't know of anyone that can stop a bullet or a knife haha ....... I felt safe walking around china town in KL late at night but friends of mine were twitchy ...

My wife's friends and family live in such a place in the heart of Cebu City. I visited there 3 times. Frankly, I felt safer there than manny parts of Los Angeles California that I'm in everyday! :-)

i wouldnt stay there more than a day or 2 if you dont know the people around there pretty well. i think initially there will be some shock at your presence so you will likely be safe for a little while. but if the family you are with is not powerful then you will look more and more like an easy target to the locals as the days pass by and some will be trying to figure out how to exploit the opportunity.

if your lady is mature enough she ought to know very well the dangers and should advise you if there are any. my wife did not want me staying at certain places such as her own family compound in manila because it was not in an area safe for foreigners and also in the more remote provincial areas where her family lives because of concerns for my safety. also, if your lady is very young or immature then you are likely to not be informed of the reality of the situation.

One thing I should add, I was constantly surrounded by my wife's friends and family. For manny other reasons other than safety you should get to know your gf's friends and family.

why dont you give her a real treat and check into a low cost pension house so she can experience a better life for a while.... plus your going to have better internet ,, hot water ,,, and lots of very good alone time

Good advice Smokey. Good somebody pointed out that there is something between the slums and Shangri Lang! :-)