Sign in to follow this  
Chance555

Safe or not

Chance555

Hi I'm visiting cebu again next month .....my last visit was to Boljoon a nice place on the coast I felt very safe walking around the and all were very friendly and accommodating .... However this visit will be in lapu lapu and I will be staying with my gf for a few weeks ..... My concern is she lived off the highway a few hundred yards into tin town alley shall we say!!!! So how safe is it for a expat to be venturing off the main highway/ road / street into the shack little houses area where much poverty lies .....

Will I be seen as a target or will I be embraced .....anybody here ventured into such an area and how safe did they feel as we all think we can protect ourselves ...but I don't know of anyone that can stop a bullet or a knife haha ....... I felt safe walking around china town in KL late at night but friends of mine were twitchy ...

ROVER

Areas of Lapu-Lapu are tagged now as gang, drug and crime area, houses being broken into, business' being shot up and sit on fire.....business owners being gunned down if the complain and so I here "Protection money" is the reason...this is from the news, my brother in-law who lives there, and other expats that HAD business and used to live there.....

I can't get over there so I can't say first hand......

quit_yume

i wouldnt stay there more than a day or 2 if you dont know the people around there pretty well.  i think initially there will be some shock at your presence so you will likely be safe for a little while.   but if the family you are with is not powerful then you will look more and more like an easy target to the locals as the days pass by and some will be trying to figure out how to exploit the opportunity.

if your lady is mature enough she ought to know very well the dangers and should advise you if there are any.  my wife did not want me staying at certain places such as her own family compound in manila because it was not in an area safe for foreigners and also in the more remote provincial areas where her family lives because of concerns for my safety.  also, if your lady is very young or immature then you are likely to not be informed of the reality of the situation.

• Like 3

bmoore

Take her someplace. There are nice resorts on Mactan. Sitting around in Lapu Lapu City will get boring fast. You will be more of a target than a novelty. I do like Boljoon. It has a good vibe.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Chance555

Thanks for the advice so far but has anybody ever experienced walking around and in these areas

bmoore

I have spent plenty of time Phillipine slums. You are not in mortal danger but it is hard to find a comfortable chair to sit in and it soon gets very dull. Give a go. Years ago l thought it kinda fun.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

SomeRandomGuy

Yeah its not years ago anymore. Id say hotel. Visit not stay. It ain't like it used to be anymore. U are considered rich, novelty will run off very quickly. I do walk around these areas, but keep in mind im 36.

The whole of lapu-lapu is run by gangs at the moment. Would u stay in the ghetto in your own country? Probably not.

It is what it is mate, foreigner in a foreign country hanging out in the slums...unless the family is well connected then u don't do it.

My mrs dont even like me staying with her family and they live in community housing. Honestly dude i wouldnt. If u can not afford a hotel, dont come here, there is a reason lapu lapu is dangerous.

There are a shit load of gangs in lapu lapu. Not nice tv mixed race gangs, but bad ass kill u for 500 pesos guys, or just out of pure jealousy as they liked your gf.

But hey if u want to risk it and chance becoming a statistic then by all means stay in the most dangerous part of town. Honestly any pinay thinking this is a good idea is one i would not date.

• Like 3

smokey

Hi I'm visiting cebu again next month .....my last visit was to Boljoon a nice place on the coast I felt very safe walking around the and all were very friendly and accommodating .... However this visit will be in lapu lapu and I will be staying with my gf for a few weeks ..... My concern is she lived off the highway a few hundred yards into tin town alley shall we say!!!! So how safe is it for a expat to be venturing off the main highway/ road / street into the shack little houses area where much poverty lies .....

Will I be seen as a target or will I be embraced .....anybody here ventured into such an area and how safe did they feel as we all think we can protect ourselves ...but I don't know of anyone that can stop a bullet or a knife haha ....... I felt safe walking around china town in KL late at night but friends of mine were twitchy ...

why dont you give her a real treat and check into a low cost pension house so she can experience a better life for a while.... plus your going to have better internet ,, hot water ,,, and lots of very good alone time

• Like 3

Edwin

why dont you give her a real treat and check into a low cost pension house so she can experience a better life for a while.... plus your going to have better internet ,, hot water ,,, and lots of very good alone time

Don't forget the onions.

Edited by Edwin
  • Like 5

smokey

Throw in an onion or two!

i just dont get the charm of living in a place where you have to pitch the water ,,  and in some cases use candles  well maybe i never did like camping and he sure is not going to get any alone time

Foreststag

I endorse fully what other contributors say. I lived in Lapu-Lapu for three months last year. You will not be able for example to leave money where you stay. This means you will have to take it with you, the locals will know that. This will make you a target. If you make the wrong decision you could be dead, is it worth it? People here think all

foreigners are millionaires which also makes you a target. You observe the beggars here, they will sprint 100 meters

to try there hand with a foreigner. They can spot you from a mile away. As the others say, treat the girl you will

enjoy your holiday much more.

JetSet

post-16314-0-37926900-1408167944_thumb.jpg

"Venturing" is fine.
Have done it often. Same safety rules apply:
a) Display warm confidence.
b) Dress safe.
c) Avoid/fail "interviews".

Sleep, keep your things in a lodge or resort.
After my 1st year, made that the rule. Secure base of operations. You can still enjoy the family all day long. You'll be more likable, having access to a toilet and water.

As everywhere, all will welcome you, few might consider you for a target.

Good news is, large number of squatters means less chance a bad-guy can get you alone.

One boring night, I failed an interview just for kicks, let the wise-man lead me deep into a downtown squatter area, narrow path, single file maze, to a dead-end where his two accomplices were waiting. Oops! What a rush!

I need to fail the 2nd interview with the two additional guys. First, blocked their advance by putting my back into a corner, then resolved to drop the 1st guy. 1st & last time I wore a dime-store watch. After the value was confirmed, and my resolve noted, new guys failed me, and backed off.

1st guy followed me out. Now better odds, we sat for a final interview. He explained his desire for money, edged forward producing a knife, and began cleaning his nails. I also readjusted to a sit/fight position, sorry interview over, I went to bed.

P.S. "Hey Joe" is not an interview. They studied English, this may be their only chance to actually use it. Simply smile, look them in the eyes (sign of respect), and say 'good afternoon'. Keep on walking. You just made an ally! (Use corny text book English.)

I love Boljoon, a picturesque little place with history, swimming, and hidden mountain adventures.

Chance555

To be honest we will stop in a nice hotel for the first 5 days .....my plan next year is to move out there and consider living in a small budget until my public sector pension kicks in in two years time when that comes then yes I can live a good life out in the province buy or rent a good place and live well off a decent private pension .....

But I can live with her at her place in lapu lapu or live with her at her sisters place in Danao.......... By living cheap and simple for a couple of years I will truly be past the roes glasses period and know for sure when the pension comes whether it's the place to be ....also what is Danao like regards safety her sister lives in the mountain ......

So that's my choice ..... Thoughts again please would be a great help please

SomeRandomGuy

Wait two years and enjoy life.

• Like 2

miles-high

Wait two years and enjoy life.

Yeah, when you have a winning season, you won’t want to take unnecessary risks… Stay away from the danger areas, play it safe for at least 2 years… Then, enjoy life!

• Like 2