Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

Vaccines for Babies - Free of Charge?

Mikala

Months ago, the ex-gf was pleading with me to pay for the latest vaccination for her child, claiming that it was about 7,000p per month! I thought I read somewhere that the local clinics gave child vaccinations for free. I told her about that and she said that she took the baby to the local clinic, but they refused to vaccinate the baby since it was a 1/2 Kano baby.

Anyone can clear this up for me? Sounds suspicious to me...

contraman

So does that mean you pay 1/2 ? :)

• Like 1

Mikala

So does that mean you pay 1/2 ?

I wish. I don't begrudge helping out a child that has no other choices in life.

Jawny

This is complete bullshit. Regrettably, knowing that may not help. The baby will need to have a caregiver (mother?) who can establish the child is eligible. The birth certificate may be critical as to establishing age and such. Unfortunately, the health care providers are not necessarily the brightest bulbs on the tree.

I can say for certainly that babies are ALL eligible for free childhood immunizations.

Of course, that does not mean free is better. If the caregiver has to put up with this sort of shit, it may be worth it to get the shots from a pediatrician.

Shots are not particularly cheap. Varicella, 2200 pesos. Typhoid, 1000 pesos. Influenza, 800 pesos. There are many others the child will need over an extended period.

Mikala

Shots are not particularly cheap. Varicella, 2200 pesos. Typhoid, 1000 pesos. Influenza, 800 pesos. There are many others the child will need over an extended period.

So it seems she's trying to milk me with the 7,000p monthly fee that she claims the pedia at Chong Hua charges? I stopped asking for receipts after discovering that you can buy receipts showing anything from anywhere for about 45p.

contraman

stopped asking for receipts after discovering that you can buy receipts showing anything from anywhere for about 45p.

Are you trying to ruin my sideline business ?  :) :)

• Like 3

Mikala

Are you trying to ruin my sideline business ?

Only after I found out that you were saving the money to buy Smokey's corvette!

• Like 3

JohnSurrey

You take your baby (half kano or otherwise) to the local barangay hall for the zone where you live...

You need the birth certificate and an immunization log (normally hepatitis is given at birth so that's the first entry - the hospital where our first child had forgotten to order the hepatitis vaccine so we got that done at the barangay hall too)

Then you just pop along with all the other mums etc. and wait your turn - it's all free

You can go to a paediatrician but I didn't see the point...

So 7,000 P a month eh... they do tell some porkies here don't they!

• Like 2

Mikala

So 7,000 P a month eh... they do tell some porkies here don't they!

It's certainly sky-high pricing, even compared to America. So she's still trying to milk me. That sucks.

I <3 Cebu

Could always just skip on all vaccines all together :)

• Like 1

ROVER

Consolacion, Cebu "all FREE" BUT! My sister in-law did have to pay (if I remember right) 6.php per needle. (No I didn't pay it, it was all on her).

rainymike

Was gonna post this elsewhere, but fits here, so here are my thoughts.

People get confused when you say healthcare. In the Philippines, it is a many tiered system.

Low cost/possibly free shots are available from some public health type clinics that are run by the government or ngo's.

If you go to a public hospital for pediatric care and checkup, prices begin to rise.

If you go to a private for pediatric care and shots, prices will be higher still. I don't know the prices at Chong Hua, but for the hospital where we took our kid, it would cost us anywhere from 2-5K depending on the shot and doctor's fees. 

And even among the privates, there are tiers. The one we use is not a 'top of the line' hospital. So costs should be lower than Chong Hua.

So, out of pocket costs here may actually be higher than in the states, because there is no big government reimbursement for healthcare. However, the true cost of the healthcare in the Philippines is generally much lower than stateside - it's just not subsidized and you pay directly rather than indirectly through taxes and so forth.

So I wouldn't call your ex a liar with the info you've provided so far. LOL ... and no, I'm not related to her.

So why pay more when I know where to get it free? We opted for a pediatrician we knew. The baby was a caesarean and I wanted her monitored by a regular. Also ... and I don't know it for a fact ... but I do suspect variation in the quality of medications in this country.

Edited by rainymike
  • Like 1

bulldoggy26_cute

So it seems she's trying to milk me with the 7,000p monthly fee that she claims the pedia at Chong Hua charges? I stopped asking for receipts after discovering that you can buy receipts showing anything from anywhere for about 45p.

We have let done the last 2-3 vaccins for our princess by the pedia working at Chong Hua and it has never reached that level of costs...

TheMatrix

Vaccines are bullshit.

My children have never received vaccines, and never will.  

• Like 1