Sign in to follow this  
rainymike

An Eye Doctor for my 6 year old

rainymike

I've been using reading glasses for many years now. My kids have an aptitude for trashing them regularly. I stopped going with the fancy stuff (used to have trifocals) for more basic reading glasses. My two eyes see quite differently, so I usually get them checked out at the mall. Simple eye test and ordering new glasses. Fairly cheap - about 1K pesos altogether.

We began to suspect our youngest boy was having vision problems. Thought I'd take him to one of the vision places at SM since they have several. Results were bad. The doctors could not handle a young child (yeah, they had signs up saying Dr. This or That). We couldn't figure out why, but our boy was outside of the 'norm' and they kept sending us on our merry way.

Finally, at the third shop, the lady there told us to go to a hospital or clinic. The simple letters eye test was not enough for the boy and he needed other tests as well which the vision places didn't perform. Well that made it clearer, although it took us three vision stores to figure that out.

Took the boy to the hospital. The optometrist there was adept at handling kids. Instead of letters, she was able to use shapes. She also performed a few other tests. Diagnosis was astigmatism. Prescription made, total cost about 3K. And its only good for 6 months. Have to return for testing regularly. Glasses aren't for maintenance, they're part of the treatment.

I made the mistake of going for convenience. (Get tested and an hour later, your glasses are ready.) Might be good enough for me, but not the kids. Costs a little more, must wait longer, and takes about a week for the glasses. But I'm much more comfortable having a doctor who knows her craft for children. 

We'll see how things work out with the boy next week. She did advise us that the glasses might cause some dizziness at first.

cebubird

Golly, I wish I could remember her name, but there is a doctor at Cebu Doc-building behind hospital, and this woman is really good. think she specializes in kids,tho' I did visit her 4 years. PM BG Gruff as I think he has used that doctor for his daughter.

I have a bad eye problem from shingles in eye 6 years ago, and she actually took the time to read a big stack of medical records I brought with me,and actually told me that nobody here could give me proper care for my eye.