Home Power Article: MPPT Charge Controllers (Aug / Sep '14 Issue)

Paul

He's gonna love me - for giving you the idea to charge him for power. :rolleyes:

Mikala

He's gonna love me - for giving you the idea to charge him for power. :rolleyes:

If I don't put in the solar array and such, then he'll just be paying for fuel for the generator (mine). That's much more expensive in Hawaii than paying the local utility rate (about 43.5 cents / kWh). Hmm... another revenue source!

Paul

If I don't put in the solar array and such, then he'll just be paying for fuel for the generator (mine). That's much more expensive in Hawaii than paying the local utility rate (about 43.5 cents / kWh). Hmm... another revenue source!

I still wanna go live there! I never lived in Hawaii before. 

Mikala

I still wanna go live there! I never lived in Hawaii before. 

He's signed a 2-year lease and thinks he wants to stay on the Big Island forever as a diesel engine mechanic. I wish him luck in finding a good paying job. There are so few jobs available on my island that pay well.

I think you'd have a hard time with all the hugging and kissing going on. I know I did! I only hugged and kissed aunts, grandmothers and (now) sisters.

Paul
Edit: almost forgot, I sized my battery bank for 3 days of supplying normal household loads without the generator kicking in and complete darkness. Kind of ridiculous as most installs on my island only have a 1/2 day reserve as they expect the sun will rise in the morning to recharge the batteries.

Three days autonomy is not a bad plan. Most solar guys that I communicate with (who live off-grid), tend to calculate their power usage for 25% per day, so that would give them two days autonomy. They would deplete their batteries up to 50% before starting a generator.

In areas with more rain - like SE Asia, I figure you have two options, add more batteries to your bank, or add more panels to your array. That is one thing I love about the Midnite Solar Kid. You can seriously overpower the Kid with PV input, with not worries. So, if I were to put 600 or 700 watts of PV on it - for a 12 volts system, I may be able to harvest enough solar energy to still charge my batteries. This is all theory for now. Maybe I can prove that at some point in the future.

I think you'd have a hard time with all the hugging and kissing going on. I know I did! I only hugged and kissed aunts, grandmothers and (now) sisters.

I'm from South Georgia, and you are tellin' me about huggin' and kissin' relatives? :D