My Keys, Whistle and Pepper Spray

BlueFin

After reading about the Dutch national who grapped with intruders in this thread: http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/73843-dutch-national-wounded-after-grappling-with-house-robbers-pit-os-cebu-city/page-2#entry860855

I thought I'd take a pic and post my keys. I carry them pretty much at all times and keep them bedside when I sleep.

P600 pepper spray + a high pitched whistle (from a sports store at the MalL) on the key ring.

So far I've never had to use them, but it's better to be prepared than not right?

If someone pulled a gun on me, I'm not about to reply with drawing out my pepper spray, but in the case of the Dutch guy

who had distance and time to respond I'd be following the instructions "Spray from ear to ear then nose and mouth".

post-8456-0-97769900-1406946733_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlueFin
  • Like 2
throttleplate

pepper spray comes in different heat strengths,what strength is yours if labeled at all?Also does it still work?that you dont know untill you use it.I got mugged in the usa by 2 dudes and after that i bought from a hunting store police grade spray and it was in a good sized canister with a dvd to watch on how to use and the spray stream was good to 10 feet with good shoulder to head coverage so you could be off in aim but still get coverage.I was still able to conceal in my pants pocket but at night when i walked i carried it in my hand ready to go.The thing you are carrying wouldnt scare me especially if i had a accomplice.

ex231

I guess anything is better than nothing. After a recent encounter I had at home I went out and bought a baseball bat the next day. Even the bat is not nearly as comforting as the 9mm and 12 gauge I was used to in the US. I'd get a bigger key chain if I were you.

BlueFin

pepper spray comes in different heat strengths,what strength is yours if labeled at all

I bought it from the Hahn sports (weapons?) store in SM.

It's USA brand - packaging says its the same one the NYPD use - good for 28 sprays (uses).

Instructions also said best to be prepared, for example - entering a dark area (perhaps your car park coming home at night) have it in hand and ready to go.

Instructions also said once you do your spray job - get the heck outta there!

4thDan

I taught self defense, no weapons, for many years.  Regardless of the talking done by the "students" before hand, a lot of them had a problem with inflicting pain or disabling another person, regardless of the perceived threat.  While I do believe you guys could and would defend yourselves and family and property with every ounce of effort, it is curious that I found women more willing to inflict massive pain than men.  The part of the lessons I taught that I tried to drill home was that once you start, once you choose to defend yourself and take that first action there is then NO STOPPING.  Either finish it or don't start it.  It's easier if it's your word against his and he can't talk.

• Like 5

it is curious that I found women more willing to inflict massive pain than men.

MAybe women know the law WILL be on THEIR side in an outcome, unlike men, from all the shit you read in papers you know for fact if you  use excessive force you WILL be accused of it for sure, by most courts or by defence lawyers at least.

Edited by South'rn Boy
fixed quote tag
Paul

If anyone ever pulls a gun on me again, I will react the same way I did the last time they did it. :D 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Freeze +P is some good stuff. The Sabre LE version is pretty good also. 

I would recommend anyone who wants to rely on a defensive spray in a life threatening situation get sprayed first themselves so you are familiar with its effects on you. 

The good shit is going to effect you with even small indirect exposure. If it doesn't then you are either immune or it's not good shit. 

What's the whistle for? Hopefully to call a protection trained dog? 

Edited by Monsoon
JasonEcos

I once bought some of the local pepperspray they sell to all the security guards. It is horribly weak, complete waste of money.

In public I typically don't carry anything unless I'm in what I consider a shady area, in which case I carry a telescoping baton.(if I ever need to use it legal issues may arise, but I'd rather deal with them then the alternative)

My bedside defense is typically a flashlight and tomahawk, but we have a guard dog that most people find scary so I doubt I will ever need it.

hyaku

Pepper spray can't be used in confined or windy places. If your at home some heavier artillery is easy to keep. Quite easy to fill up a spray with water and something like habenero as it doesn't need to be concealed. I must say I have my doubts about some of these sprays you buy. I was in El Gekko once and two foreigners were fighting in the gas station opposite. One of them emptied a full can into a guy's face in a car. But he just drove away. Lots of orange smoke and little effect. In the Dutchman's case a taser might have worked. Grappling is out unless your a trained grappler.

I know a lot don't like dogs but my whole neighbourhood erupts if someone strange is lurking around. It's a good early warning. Gates won't stop them in my neighbourhood. Most can climb anything.

I can also activate the car alarm from inside with the press of a button.

Edited by hyaku
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

with the advent of 3d printing and other technologies you will see new products hit the market..

like key rings that will hide your keys away except during actual use

because it is becoming more and more easy for regular every day people to get a copy of your keys from a simple photo they themselves can take with their cell phone 

lamoe

I taught self defense, no weapons, for many years.  Regardless of the talking done by the "students" before hand, a lot of them had a problem with inflicting pain or disabling another person, regardless of the perceived threat.  While I do believe you guys could and would defend yourselves and family and property with every ounce of effort, it is curious that I found women more willing to inflict massive pain than men.  The part of the lessons I taught that I tried to drill home was that once you start, once you choose to defend yourself and take that first action there is then NO STOPPING.  Either finish it or don't start it.  It's easier if it's your word against his and he can't talk.

Learned that lesson back in  Chicago. Humboldt Park 

Get em down, keep em down.  Reinforced in Boot Camp.  D.I. showed his extra holes and told  how he'd been able to kill other guy  after being wounded. Not like in movies where good guys only  get flesh wounds and keep on ticking.

Mine is a medium weight 3 meter dog chain with ring on each end. Easy to keep in pocket or in hand.  One ring goes over middle finger, other between thumb and forefinger.  No fancy movie moves , I was instructed to spin close to side, not over head or figure eight, too easy to reach in and snag, Let go of end and double length.

Never had to use  - only display twice.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

as small children we learned to carry our keys splayed between our fingers with a closed fist usually one key between each finger .. like brass knuckles cept with points 

works well but you may break a key 

4thDan

Learned that lesson back in  Chicago. Humboldt Park 

Get em down, keep em down.  Reinforced in Boot Camp.  D.I. showed his extra holes and told  how he'd been able to kill other guy  after being wounded. Not like in movies where good guys only  get flesh wounds and keep on ticking.

Mine is a medium weight 3 meter dog chain with ring on each end. Easy to keep in pocket or in hand.  One ring goes over middle finger, other between thumb and forefinger.  No fancy movie moves , I was instructed to spin close to side, not over head or figure eight, too easy to reach in and snag, Let go of end and double length.

Never had to use  - only display twice.

I used to have a kubatan as my key ring until security made me surrender it when getting on the flight here.  Have been looking for another one since.