RogerDat

Greetings again!!! If you are not yet seperated, ALL your records will be at the location your are  CURENTLY at. DO NOT move anything ! Get it done there please.

If you come to trhe PI, or Guam, you will spend several months getting access to your records.

I can not stress it any more than I have.

Good luck!

mpt1947

I sent an email to one of the officials at the VA Out Patient Clinic regarding VA Exit Interviews.  Hopefully I will have an answer tomorrow morning - I will pass it on here.

I also asked about Guam being an option.

• Like 1

Greetings again!!! If you are not yet seperated, ALL your records will be at the location your are  CURENTLY at. DO NOT move anything ! Get it done there please.

If you come to trhe PI, or Guam, you will spend several months getting access to your records.

I can not stress it any more than I have.

Good luck!

it would be ideal to do the interview here but unfortunately that is not possible since there is no VA office or even a VA rep here.  i have been told there is one VA rep office for all of japan and they just travel around answering simple questions.  on the plus side they will be in my area next week so i will be able to ask more questions. 

Since you bring up the question of records.  That is something i will have to find out.  I did my VA exam in California and then i think the records went to a board on the east cost.  i would think all that is digital but since it is the VA it could be paper only. 

If i do get in done in the states wont i just have to get everything moved to the PI later?

I sent an email to one of the officials at the VA Out Patient Clinic regarding VA Exit Interviews.  Hopefully I will have an answer tomorrow morning - I will pass it on here.

I also asked about Guam being an option.

Thank you for the help.  As i said before i was hoping to do it at Manila just to save me time and money on travel.  To me it just made more sense to do it someplace i want live so my records would be there.  Although Guam is not really a good option for me it might be for someone else so it would be good to know the information.

Everyone thank you. 

RogerDat

Greetings! I called the VA in Manila, 1 800 1888 5252.

They said they can not do a exit interview.

They only give care.

The records probably went to

The National Personnel Records Cente in St Louis

I guess you will have to go to a regional VA center like in Hampton, VA, they hava a domicile (hotel) you should be able to stay in while getting the interview done, Does Hawie have one?

Jason S

Does Hawie have one?

Yes, Hawaii has a VA Hospital.

thanks for confirming they cant do an exit interview.

I guess you will have to go to a regional VA center like in Hampton, VA, they hava a domicile (hotel) you should be able to stay in while getting the interview done, Does Hawie have one?

if i have to go to the east coast so be it but far from my first choice.  If they will put me in a hotel in Guam or Hawaii that maybe my first choice depending how long after i leave japan i can get an appointment.  

Edited by lokias
thailandphil

thanks for confirming they cant do an exit interview.

if i have to go to the east coast so be it but far from my first choice.  If they will put me in a hotel in Guam or Hawaii that maybe my first choice depending how long after i leave japan i can get an appointment.

If you are planning on living in this area Hawaii would be the best choice. That’s where my records are at. As far as I know they won’t pay for your travel or hotel unless they are requiring you to go. You may want to check on that. I know for medical care it’s all out of pocket. VA in Hawaii is at Tripler Army Hospital in Honolulu and it’s the hub for all of the South Pacific. Just explain to them that you live overseas and have your records sent ahead of time. You can find hotels there for around $30 a night but there are very few of them. Most will run you around $70-$100 a night. You could call manager at Ft DeRussy or even the Navy base in Pearl Harbor know they have some cabins on beach there and if off season you may talk them into letting you stay there. Call a Chaplin they may be able to pull some strings.

well i do know a few people a Hickam so i could couch crash.  I will have to talk to the VA rep and get ideas on the best plan of action.  i have family on the west coast so that might be the best plan. 

i do like the idea of being retired but not really liking my future in the hands of VA.  I need to find a balance of good care vs. cost of flights.  i will walk away with military retirement so i can still access tricare and go on base so i will have to factor that into my plans.  i just want to make sure i take care of the 'one time only' decisions as best i can.  everything else i will have more then enough time to figure out.

Headshot

When you separate, you should be able to get a copy of all of your medical and dental records. I did when I separated. If you can get a copy, then it is transportable with you to wherever you go. It will also give you backup documentation if the VA ever decides to get funny with you and deny you service.

JSL-USMC

Call the VA clinic in Manila and find out if they do that interview. Find their number on line. Just google VA Clinic, Manila. Health service there is for Service Connected Disability only. No walk In's

RogerDat

Greetings! I called the VA in Manila, 1 800 1888 5252.

They said they can not do a exit interview.

They only give care.

The records probably went to

The National Personnel Records Cente in St Louis