A few months ago, replaced aircon, ref and tv.  Electric used to cost over 8000 a month but since the change, its down to less than 3000.

The old aircon was a 2hp crowneair that was too big for a 15sqm room but I used it cos I had a spare one laying around at the time.  New aircon is a 1.5hp LG inverter.  Aircon usage averages 18 hours a day.

Old ref was a piece of shit electrolux that had a broken defrost system that 3 techs and thousands of pesos spent just could not fix.  Means it was running continuously trying to keep cool cos the pipes were always clogged with ice.  Replaced with LG 210 liter inverter type.  Claims to use 0.75kwh per day.  I think I believe it now.

Old TV was a 5 year old 40"  samsung.  Replaced with 60" Samsung.

I was expecting/hoping to get the bill below 5000 but I'm blown away by the result.  Updating to newer stuff can pay for itself in a short time!  In less than 3 years all 3 will be paid for from the electric savings. (including the 100k spent on the tv)  The biggest difference of course will be the aircon.  If you live here and use aircon daily and dont have an inverter type, (and you plan to live for another year or so), you would probably save money by upgrading.  I wish I had done this years ago.

• Like 7
billy

I knew this a long time ago. What you are saying is 100% correct. When buying anything thats electric buy the most energy efecient it will pay for itself over time.

woodchopper

so,,i think it fair to say ur new ref and aircon contibute to the bulk of the savings eh

i am thinking to buy a new aircon

smokey

A few months ago, replaced aircon, ref and tv.  Electric used to cost over 8000 a month but since the change, its down to less than 3000.

The old aircon was a 2hp crowneair that was too big for a 15sqm room but I used it cos I had a spare one laying around at the time.  New aircon is a 1.5hp LG inverter.  Aircon usage averages 18 hours a day.

Old ref was a piece of shit electrolux that had a broken defrost system that 3 techs and thousands of pesos spent just could not fix.  Means it was running continuously trying to keep cool cos the pipes were always clogged with ice.  Replaced with LG 210 liter inverter type.  Claims to use 0.75kwh per day.  I think I believe it now.

Old TV was a 5 year old 40"  samsung.  Replaced with 60" Samsung.

I was expecting/hoping to get the bill below 5000 but I'm blown away by the result.  Updating to newer stuff can pay for itself in a short time!  In less than 3 years all 3 will be paid for from the electric savings. (including the 100k spent on the tv)  The biggest difference of course will be the aircon.  If you live here and use aircon daily and dont have an inverter type, (and you plan to live for another year or so), you would probably save money by upgrading.  I wish I had done this years ago.

there you go you proved it ... it takes money to save money

I think if you buy the inverter type of appliances, although it is costly, you will save a lot on the electric bill - this also depends on how much you use your appliances. I have spent a lot of money replacing all our household appliances with an inverter type (ref, washing machine and AC's). Electric bill was only 1,800 pesos. I have 5 AC's all inveter type and only 2 used often and rans at least 6 hrs a day. Ref's ran all day and the washing machine at least rans twice or once a week.

Mikala
the washing machine at least rans twice or once a week.

Do they make inverter type washing machines?

Edit: with minor research, it looks like an "inverter" washing machine just uses a brushless motor... Less maintenance, longer life, etc...

Edited by Mikala

I was actually intending to buy a manual defrost ref cos its simpler (less to break down), slightly cheaper to buy and cheaper to run.  But unless I want to pay large freight charges, I was limited to what I could get in Toledo area.  Not a lot of choice here but the inverter type ref I found impressed me when I did some research.  It's like one of the most efficient you can get in this country.  Costing less than 8 pesos a day to run!

It cost 20k which is a bit pricey for a small 2 door fridge but it's worth it (assuming it lasts 10+ years)

When I first plugged it in, I was a little disappointed by the high pitched whine but the next morning it was quiet as a grave.  I think it only screams when it has to cool down a shitload of room temperature stuff.  It's been quiet ever since.

Earlier I tried to buy a ref from lazada.  They accepted the order, told me it was shipped and then... nothing.  I contacted them a week later and they said "oh it was cancelled cos the airline refused to accept it.  Said it was too big for checked baggage!"  I guess they don't ship large items to cebu very often.

billy

Whirlpool makes a double door inverter 22 cubic refrigerator 66,000.

Paul

there you go you proved it ... it takes money to save money

Hey Smoke, maybe they make inverter elevators now? I bet you could save tens of thousands of pesos, each month!

Thanks for the report, David. 

• Like 1
Skywalker

There is also quite a difference in electricity consumption between a plasma TV and an LCD TV.

The LCD is more energy efficient.

Edited by Skywalker
Paul

There is also quite a difference in electricity consumption between a plasma TV and an LCD TV.

5,000 Piso worth, over the course of a month?

Headshot

I thought it was LED that was more energy efficient...