Sign in to follow this  
spritsail

tips how to make a pork and liver pate

spritsail

I dont particularly like the liver spreads here in the Philippines and really miss the pork/liver  pate, cornichons (little gherkins) with baguettes that you can buy as a snack in any french cafe.

Making it here is simplicity itself as pork and fat are a stable and liver is often regarded as only for the poor hence cheap,

Finding myself with 700 gms of bacon fat - see thread Bacon Scam, I would use the bacon fat for making a delicious pate. The basic ingredients are liver, ground pork (bit fatty) and pork belly. The other ingrediants like spices, capers, juniper berries, garlic  are personal taste and subject to availablity.

Firstlly . I boil the liver  whole and then keep a bit of the water (stock) in reserve for mixing. Most recipes say process liver raw, but you will have bloody liver pulp everywhere.

Mix the chopped liver pieces with the ground pork, and chopped belly (cut off the rind and bone). add some of the bacon fat, capers, nutmeg, all spices, salt, pepper, chopped onion, garlic  etc. in a food processor until a homogenous mass,

Pour into a bread loaf tin and place in hot oven for 1 hr. Recipes say use a bain marie but I prefer a dry oven cook.

After one hour , remove, let cool, then refrigerate for 8 hours.

Make up a clear gelatin mixture (aspic jelly if you are a genius) using pork stock water, and pour over pate uptil 1/4 inch deep,  refrigerate again.

Serve with pitta biscuits or  pitta pizzettes, lettuce and cornichons (available in Robinsons)

frankie

Sounds delicious...I will give it a try.  I make my own boiled hams, if any one wants my recipe and procedure just say.

• Like 1

Foreststag

Either of you guys do pork pies ? lol.  Yes I would be interested in the ham please.

frankie

Making Your Own Ham

Use hind leg of weight about 3 to 5 kilograms.  Skin and remove excess fat.

Place the meat in a plastic container with lid.

Thoroughly mix the brine using the following ingredients:

Water...................................4 litres

Rock Salt.......................1 coffee cup

Sugar....................................1/4 coffee cup

Pink Prague ...............1/3 coffee cup

Cloves................................... 8

Pour the brine over the meat ensuring the meat is covered.  Add a small amount of water and mix in if it is not covering.  This is the curing process.

Place the container in the bottom of refridgerator for 5-7 days.   If the weight is 5kgs then soak for 7 days: if 3kgs then 4 days is sufficient.

Remove from the refridgerator and wash the meat thoroughly in clean water.  Place the meat in a 5 litre cooking pot, cover with water and bring towards the boil and then let simmer for half hour.  Turn off the heat, leave to soak for 20 minutes.  Reapply heat and bring towards the boil again and let simmer for a further half hour.  Turn off heat and allow to cool completely.  Remove from the cooking pot and place the meat without any liquid in a covered bowl and store in refridgerator for 2 days before eating.

Panserhansen

I use chicken liver mixed with pork meat (50 % fat). I also add cream, eggs, a dash of tabasco and worchestershire sauce to it. Gherkins are good but also fresh cucumber, tomatoes and bell peppers.