Sign in to follow this  
kc8ual

Costs of boat importing???

Paul

Well, concerning the "business" plan you have, you would have to secure an agreement from a pier somewhere, in order to be able to moor there. Do note, shipping companies that own their own piers, or the PPA (Philippines Port Authority), isn't going to simply let "anyone" moor at these piers. Not to mention, you have companies like Maayo (southern side of Cebu, across to Negros Oriental), Super Shuttle Ferry (all over Cebu, linking other provinces), etc., which pretty much have the "routes" sewn up here.

I just don't think you would have the upfront monies it would take to become involved in this, at this stage.

Remember now, the existing players have been doing this type of freight (and passenger service) for years.

Take a look at some of the companies I have listed, here: http://www.cebuboattrips.com

Side Note: Hey, bitch, where are those rate sheets you told me about? I just remembered 'em. :P

Oh, next time we meet, it's my turn to buy the beers, and mixed drinks.

kc8ual

Well, I am still working on the funds for a house :P

Just thinking down the road seeing as though my wife's brother has been nice to us and allowed us to stay in his house rent free for the last 16+ months. If all else fails though, I may look into getting a smaller one for myself so that we "could" possibly move to Bantayan Island... this way I can come back to Cebu without having to deal with the hour ferry ride and the 2 hour bus ride. Other than that though it would be my brother-in-laws deal if he wanted it, not mine.

-Nick

ckfm
Well I am debating... I figure that the best income from a ship here is not in ferrying, but rather in either cargo or Island hoping. Only the larger hulls would be of any use for cargo with the 52' hull large enough to mount a cargo container to as long as it had the dual hull catamaran body. If used for Island hopping, it would easily be able to slide up to the shorelines to pick up passengers (No more cellphones that cannot swim) and carry more people comfortably and quickly to any destination. Not to mention the fact that the flat deck would be a great spot to do some fishing from.

-Nick

Well obviously you know exactly what you want.

You seem to do better financially too.

May I ask for the reason why you are not replying to PM when I sent you a PM a few months ago about your business and possible order/business?

kc8ual
[Well obviously you know exactly what you want.

You seem to do better financially too.

May I ask for the reason why you are not replying to PM when I sent you a PM a few months ago about your business and possible order/business?

I cannot find a PM concerning the business I am working on now??? Can you resend it?

-Nick

Edited by kc8ual

Paul

Here's a boat, definitely a "local" boat for the Philippines: clicky clicky

Ken Grome

Hi Nick,

Those packcat boats look like fun to run at high speeds in calm waters, but they cost a lot of money for even the smallest ones, plus the import fees, duties, etc. ... and then you have ongoing fuel costs which are huge for such inefficient hulls at planing speeds. I can build similar boats for probably 1/3 the cost with no other duties or fees imposed. They are simple hulls to build, they just take a lot of time is all.

ckfm
Hi Nick,

Those packcat boats look like fun to run at high speeds in calm waters, but they cost a lot of money for even the smallest ones, plus the import fees, duties, etc. ... and then you have ongoing fuel costs which are huge for such inefficient hulls at planing speeds. I can build similar boats for probably 1/3 the cost with no other duties or fees imposed. They are simple hulls to build, they just take a lot of time is all.

Plus you really need a boat here which can be repaired fairly easily and doesn't need special parts. Even if you run a simple Merc 350, I don't think you could buy parts for that in the Philippines. My option would clearly go to a single hull sailboat or catamaran. I think most prefer the catamaran as live aboard option which gives you a lot more open space and a nicer sleeping area. With todays fuel costs, sailing is the way to go anyway.