Sign in to follow this  
kc8ual

Costs of boat importing???

kc8ual

I am just curious if anyone has had any experience in importing a boat?

Just a thought.....

-Nick

JLG

30% luxury tax, 12%vat, 10% ad valorem tax

JLG

That boat you are looking at is really cool. Aluminum hull 6061T-6 Twin Hamilton 3 stage jets, BUT a Jet boat is 30% less efficient than its big brother the Prop.

but better for shallow water. your looking at a fuel burn rate of 3.5 lpm! at WOT

LPM= "Liters per minute",

WOT OR WOFT= "Wide open throttle". you can guess what the 'F" stands for.

Bryan, 1999 4 time unlimited jet boat champion!

ckfm
That boat you are looking at is really cool. Aluminum hull 6061T-6 Twin Hamilton 3 stage jets, BUT a Jet boat is 30% less efficient than its big brother the Prop.

but better for shallow water. your looking at a fuel burn rate of 3.5 lpm! at WOT

LPM= "Liters per minute",

WOT OR WOFT= "Wide open throttle". you can guess what the 'F" stands for.

Bryan, 1999 4 time unlimited jet boat champion!

I would rather buy a pump boat and also hire a crew with it. Maybe only the captain as caretaker and other guys as you need them. Those run on diesel, I believe a jet boat runs on gas. How do you want to bring it in, by sea? Not sure if that's realistic, hmm, hint hint.

Edited by scianna54

JLG

OMG do I have a story about that , "bringing in by sea", LOL some day I will have to share, WOW I WAS SO STUPID!,

mikejwoodnz

you would be better having it built in Cebu - I have meet a kano boat builder there. I have an ex USA imported Bayliner here in NZ but I would not bring it with me - it can be done but the logistics are unworkable.

Bet_Busta

Better build a Tolman Seabright Skiff.

http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs/#page8

There's an American guy in Sibonga who has completed one ( the hull, at least).

Info is in a local boating forum:

http://pinoyboats.org/forum/

There's also a topic here on importing boats.

Paul

Bet Busta, are you talking about Ken, by chance? (The guy in Sibonga?)

Bet_Busta
Bet Busta, are you talking about Ken, by chance? (The guy in Sibonga?)

Yes, that's him.

kc8ual

Well, for those of you that don't know, my brother-in-law.... the one who has let me, my wife, my 2 helpers and my 1 year old stay in his house rent free for the last 16 months has been working overseas. 1st mate on a oil tanker in South Africa. He is expected to get his Captains license soon...

We have talked about it before but without a boat it is nothing less than talk. The only reason he works over seas is for the money but next month he is getting married and it would be nice for him to be home.

The ones that I have been eye-balling though are the Munson Packmans..... The US Coast Guard has a few of them as well as various harbor police and fire departments. Their largest is a 54' mono hull but their 52' looks nice:

52' military utility boat designed to pack 7 tons at 30 knots and built to ABS High Speed Naval Craft Classification.

Length: 52 feet (15.85 meters)

Beam: 16 feet (4.87 meters)

Hull Type: PACKMAN mono hull

Power: Twin Caterpillar C12 660 hp

Propulsion: Hamilton 364 waterjets

Fuel: 450 gallons

Top Speed: 43 mph light ship

Homeport: Classified ----- Israel :as-if:

One of their 40 footers:

The National Park Services operates this 40' Packman on Lake Michigan.

Length: 40 feet (12.2 meters)

Beam: 14 feet (4.25 meters)

Power: Twin Volvo 310 hp

Propulsion: Volvo Duoprop sterndrives

Fuel: 300 gallons

Top Speed: 43 mph light ship

Homeport: Empire, Michigan

A 35 footer:

Quad outboard motor hydraulic transom jacks allow the motors to be raised while underway providing access to shallow bays and estuaries.

Length: 35 feet (10.6 meters)

Beam: 12 feet (3.6 meters)

Hull Type: PACKCAT catamaran

Power: Four Yamaha 250 hp 2-strokes

Propulsion: Outboards (30" shaft)

Fuel: 400 gallons

Top Speed: 50 mph light ship

Homeport: Cordova, Alaska

34':

The 34' Calliach Bhan is outfitted with seating for 12 passengers and is used to transport sportsman to and from private hunting grounds.

Length: 34 feet (10.3 meters)

Beam: 13 feet 6 inches (4.1 meters)

Power: Twin Volvo D6 310 hp

Propulsion: Volvo Duoprop sterndrives

Fuel: 250 gallons

Top Speed: 46 mph light ship

Homeport: Loch Eileen, Scotland

28 footer:

City of Buffalo Police Dept. operates this 28' Packcat as a search & rescue dive boat.

Length: 28 feet (8.5 meters)

Beam: 10 feet (3 meters)

Power: Twin Yamaha 225 hp

Propulsion: Outboards (25" shaft)

Fuel: 150 gallons

Top Speed: 52 mph light ship

Homeport: Buffalo, New York

The first one is a bit under though... on an empty load it does about 46 knots... They use to have the info up there but apparently they had to change it :unsure: Does some great figure-8s and doughnuts :lol:

-Nick

JLG

I don't get it , the pace of the Philippines is that of a Snell, why would you need a boat the speed of rabbit ? let see 450 gallons, at 52 pesos a liter that's P89,000 to fill up, or $2022.00 and going up daily

A calculated average burn, would cost a conservative p13,000 per hour or $300.00 per hour just in fuel. LOL only a government can afford that, because the can run in the red!

And one major deal breaker, you have to fill up every 6 hours? I dont think my ATM card will allow a p89,000 transaction 2 times a day.

Nick. what are you thinking, I hope your not suggesting this to your friend!

Your forgetting the two basic manlaws,

friends don't let friends take home ugly girls, and Friends don't let friends buy boats.

kc8ual
I don't get it , the pace of the Philippines is that of a Snell, why would you need a boat the speed of rabbit ? let see 450 gallons, at 52 pesos a liter that's P89,000 to fill up, or $2022.00 and going up daily

A calculated average burn, would cost a conservative p13,000 per hour or $300.00 per hour just in fuel. LOL only a government can afford that, because the can run in the red!

And one major deal breaker, you have to fill up every 6 hours? I dont think my ATM card will allow a p89,000 transaction 2 times a day.

Nick. what are you thinking, I hope your not suggesting this to your friend!

Your forgetting the two basic manlaws,

friends don't let friends take home ugly girls, and Friends don't let friends buy boats.

No one ever said that the boat has to have a hydro-jet in it. These boats can be bought as a flat-pack shipping to be assembled here and add my own engines to. I am pretty sure that if I were to order a flat-pack shipped 52 footer and told them no engine, but insisted that it is set-up for an engine (inboard outboard or whatever) it would be all good. No one ever says that you have to buy a boat already assembled and with engines... besides, flat pack just means I am receiving a shipment of laser-cut aluminum sheeting. It is not a boat until after it is welded together (save on them taxes :P )...

And I wouldn't be suggesting it, rather purchasing it. and giving him a way to make good money here, without having to go over seas... especially after he gets married. Of course this won't happen any time soon, but the though has crossed my mind on several occasions and its best to have some info now rather than rushing around later if I decide to buy one.

Lovango Homeowner's Association operates the 52' Packman Jac Attack for island transportation & development Custom stern ramps and hydraulic stabilizers allow a 30,000 dump truck to be loaded at a seawall.

Length: 52 feet (15.85 meters)

Beam: 16 feet (4.87 meters)

Power: Triple Volvo D6 310 hp diesels

Propulsion: Volvo DP sterndrives

Fuel: 400 gallons

Top Speed: 25 mph with 30,000 lb load

Homeport: St. Thomas, USVI

Replace the power train with a pumpboat set-up..

OR....

Timberland Construction uses their 40' Packcat cargo boat for island home construction.

Length: 40 feet (12.2 meters)

Beam: 14 feet (4.25 meters)

Power: Twin Yamaha 250 hp

Top Speed: 38 mph light ship

Homeport: Flathead Lake, Montana

The US Army uses this 35' Packcat with flybridge as an inter-island transport boat in the South Pacific. Outfitting includes a full width cabin with interior seating for 8, bow anchor pulpits with winches, bow control station, head compartment, fresh water washdown system, dive doors port & starboard, tinted windows, and yard trailer.

Length: 35 feet (10.6 meters)

Beam: 12 feet (3.6 meters)

Power: Twin Honda 225 hp four stroke

Top Speed: 38 mph light ship

Homeport: Kwajalein Atoll, South Pacific

-Nick

Paul

Is there a specific purpose, that you are willing to share, for the use of this boat? If not, no worries.

kc8ual

Well I am debating... I figure that the best income from a ship here is not in ferrying, but rather in either cargo or Island hoping. Only the larger hulls would be of any use for cargo with the 52' hull large enough to mount a cargo container to as long as it had the dual hull catamaran body. If used for Island hopping, it would easily be able to slide up to the shorelines to pick up passengers (No more cellphones that cannot swim) and carry more people comfortably and quickly to any destination. Not to mention the fact that the flat deck would be a great spot to do some fishing from.

-Nick

JLG

Paul, looks like Nicky here found you guys a new boat for your monthly boat trip, your share of the fuel bill will be p10,000, in advance please!

Nick really now , this is already done, LCT's, for P850 to cross with a vehicle, or p235 motorcycle.

Paul

Well, concerning the "business" plan you have, you would have to secure an agreement from a pier somewhere, in order to be able to moor there. Do note, shipping companies that own their own piers, or the PPA (Philippines Port Authority), isn't going to simply let "anyone" moor at these piers. Not to mention, you have companies like Maayo (southern side of Cebu, across to Negros Oriental), Super Shuttle Ferry (all over Cebu, linking other provinces), etc., which pretty much have the "routes" sewn up here.

I just don't think you would have the upfront monies it would take to become involved in this, at this stage.

Remember now, the existing players have been doing this type of freight (and passenger service) for years.

Take a look at some of the companies I have listed, here: http://www.cebuboattrips.com

Side Note: Hey, bitch, where are those rate sheets you told me about? I just remembered 'em. :P

Oh, next time we meet, it's my turn to buy the beers, and mixed drinks.

kc8ual

Well, I am still working on the funds for a house :P

Just thinking down the road seeing as though my wife's brother has been nice to us and allowed us to stay in his house rent free for the last 16+ months. If all else fails though, I may look into getting a smaller one for myself so that we "could" possibly move to Bantayan Island... this way I can come back to Cebu without having to deal with the hour ferry ride and the 2 hour bus ride. Other than that though it would be my brother-in-laws deal if he wanted it, not mine.

-Nick

ckfm
Well I am debating... I figure that the best income from a ship here is not in ferrying, but rather in either cargo or Island hoping. Only the larger hulls would be of any use for cargo with the 52' hull large enough to mount a cargo container to as long as it had the dual hull catamaran body. If used for Island hopping, it would easily be able to slide up to the shorelines to pick up passengers (No more cellphones that cannot swim) and carry more people comfortably and quickly to any destination. Not to mention the fact that the flat deck would be a great spot to do some fishing from.

-Nick

Well obviously you know exactly what you want.

You seem to do better financially too.

May I ask for the reason why you are not replying to PM when I sent you a PM a few months ago about your business and possible order/business?

kc8ual
[Well obviously you know exactly what you want.

You seem to do better financially too.

May I ask for the reason why you are not replying to PM when I sent you a PM a few months ago about your business and possible order/business?

I cannot find a PM concerning the business I am working on now??? Can you resend it?

-Nick

Edited by kc8ual

Paul

Here's a boat, definitely a "local" boat for the Philippines: clicky clicky

Ken Grome

Hi Nick,

Those packcat boats look like fun to run at high speeds in calm waters, but they cost a lot of money for even the smallest ones, plus the import fees, duties, etc. ... and then you have ongoing fuel costs which are huge for such inefficient hulls at planing speeds. I can build similar boats for probably 1/3 the cost with no other duties or fees imposed. They are simple hulls to build, they just take a lot of time is all.

ckfm
Hi Nick,

Those packcat boats look like fun to run at high speeds in calm waters, but they cost a lot of money for even the smallest ones, plus the import fees, duties, etc. ... and then you have ongoing fuel costs which are huge for such inefficient hulls at planing speeds. I can build similar boats for probably 1/3 the cost with no other duties or fees imposed. They are simple hulls to build, they just take a lot of time is all.

Plus you really need a boat here which can be repaired fairly easily and doesn't need special parts. Even if you run a simple Merc 350, I don't think you could buy parts for that in the Philippines. My option would clearly go to a single hull sailboat or catamaran. I think most prefer the catamaran as live aboard option which gives you a lot more open space and a nicer sleeping area. With todays fuel costs, sailing is the way to go anyway.