American killed on Colon last night

easy44

Years ago I used to go to the girly bar that was in the Century Hotel and walk around Colon a bit. I never felt threatened but not entirely comfortable either. It's the kind of area that looks unsafe probably more than it really is. Anytime you have obvious pimps and hookers running around as well as drugs available nearby, you know it's a bit unsavory. Of course that always added to the experience for me, but not for everyone I'm sure.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• woodchopper

• smokey

• POTATOMAN

• JetSet

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes, i too suffer from this mistaken impression.

Obama did it

Did anyone notice that the date on the article is July 21, 2009?

Posted Images

Davaoeno

Do you stay in your hotel room, afraid of shadows and things that go bump in the night?

only if i brought something truly scary home for the night !! 

• Like 1
smokey

I used to live in the Cebu Century. I have 20 years experience, off and on, walking the streets nearby at all hours of the night and day.

The worst thing that has happened to me is pimps who will not take no for an answer.

Bad things happen every where in the world. Including so called "safe" areas of Cebu City, But apparently my 20 years experience is not long enough to show that it is not the violent area people make out.

Well its like gambling to me just like going to bars on mango is the safest place in the world till that one day ... i used to go to culican mexico every month never once was i shot at or hijacked or even told i was going to be beheaded so does that mean its safe or it was just not my time  

I lived in Colon for a couple of months and during the daytime in among the flow of people I had two attempts to rob me while at night walking around in the relative empty streets until midnight nothing happened to me.  The streets at night did have an eerie feel to it and I wanted to wander around taking photos to try to capture the feel of it but didn't because I was alone and you never know Paul's camera sure does look attractive to a poor crooked person so you always need to be careful where ever you are.  I have also walked the beach on Bohol at night and did feel less guarded which probably could have landed me in trouble thinking I was safe there and I was cheated one time but never in Colon. 

The town I live in here in Australia is the most dangerous place I have lived in with shootings, murders and robberies going on more frequently than I like.  I will walk the two blocks from my place to the local club sometimes at night but be aware of possible danger.  I am more nervous here than anywhere in the Philippines.  I would not have moved here if I had known how wild this place is.  

I agree with smokey everywhere is safe and nowhere is safe when its your time.  Maybe Colon has gone downhill since I was there.  You do know when you travel around the Philippines where ever you land the locals will tell you to not go to the next place as its dangerous there. 

• Like 4
mistaeric

The alternative is?

Do you stay in your hotel room, afraid of shadows and things that go bump in the night?  Since that has little appeal to me then I have been known to walk around Colon in the evening.  Perhaps not at 3 am but during the evening I have no problem with it.  And I can tell you I have not seen any foreigners beaten, robbed or murdered during my walks.

Dude you can walk where you want to walk, its your life! Im not scared, im just not stupid. I don't dive in shark infested waters, I don't hike in bear country, I don't jump out of perfectly operating airplanes, I don't wear the wrong colors in gang neighborhoods, I don't go on WALKING safaris on Kenya, etc. But that's just me.

For Real

RIP. I feel for the guy, coming from Denmark an all and having his life end in a 3rd world ghetto...no reset button to press.

Sent from my detachable penis in my happy shorts

hyaku

No, Rose the server did it. See post #16. I guess when she said "American" she meant "White person". It is a common (mis)use of language in Cebu.

Rose has an Australian boyfriend. She is quite aware of different nationalities.

mikewright

I'm confused (again). So far, we've got reports of a Norwegian, American and Dane killed in Colon recently, must have been a massacre.

Has anyone got a link, or is it all rumour?  Can't find anything about this on the web, except this thread.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

post-16314-0-49555300-1406712397_thumb.jpg
Originally I was going to say, rumors of my demise may have been exaggerated. Hahaha!  On or about the same day, 2 armed snatchers promised to kill me after boarding a jeepney on Colon Street.

Normally I simply whisper ‘boo’ to send snatchers scurrying. This time I was thinking about their usual victims, young ladies.

So I LOUDLY announced their presence, embarrassing them to the point of rage.  They began waiving a knife, and threatening in Cebuano, I didn’t let on that I understood. In the end, I think they were more concerned with my unpredictability.

With great fanfare, they bailed before the next PNP outpost.

But, just a few minutes ago the same thing happened again! I now carry a camera to take their pictures but, they have added a 3rd snatcher to the crew, so sorry, no heroics this time. Although, I was told, my abrupt actions put the jeep on alert.

Quickly transferring to the blind-side of the deepest snatcher, he was forced the reverse has orientation, and squirming to do so, since my knees blocked his. He was the scariest looking, and the 1st to bail. They stiffed the conductor this time! - rare.

Please consider carrying valuables in locked taxis, otherwise you’re putting the rest of us at greater risk.

PS – Still feel safer here, than with back-home hoodlums.
7-30-14

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 1

Jetset. was it Colon or the jeep? i have been in jeeps, never had a problem. But I have not been to Colon a lot, maybe a mix of the two made the chances higher. Did you have a gold watch, do you look frail and vulnerable, give more details please?

Edited by Tamed

post-16314-0-36753700-1406767804_thumb.jpg
I’m athletic, dress for the street, no valuables or accessories, and always fail “interviews”.

If you could see the camera, it’s an ancient battered cell phone held together only by tape. Filipinas sometimes tease, “Not even a snatcher would take that” hahaha, that’s the whole idea!

Boarded the jeep on Colon.
Snatchers always board one at a time,
Red Flag 1 - first watcher sat directly across from me (there were better seats),
Red Flag 2 - he looked at me a nanosecond too long,
Red Flag 3 - he smiled (beware the nervous smile),
Red Flag 4 - passengers first believed he was a student, where are the books? (beware empty hands),
Red Flag 5 - he was wearing sunglasses (if they are hooked to the inside of the collar, it conceals the bulge of a knife).

Immediately began looking for his partner, OMG, there are two more!
The 2nd watcher was exactly like the 1st and sat next to me, almost completing the ‘box’.

Lead snatcher is easy to spot 'cause he nearly sits in your lap and begins to feel you up, if you are sensitive in those areas. Lead snatcher always boards after the watchers.

If you choose the victim seat (up against the back window) only 2 snatchers are required for a ‘box’.

In 16 years, this is only the 3rd time but, twice in one month. It may have something to do with the fact I hurt them deeply and emotionally last time. I think I recognized the lead snatcher and his black bag full of stuffing. The two watchers are new and bigger. They were all my size, I’m probably smaller than the average westerner.

Other than the opportune tourist, their bread and butter are single girls, have never heard of a failed attempt.

• Like 1
Skywalker

I wonder therefore, if taking a jeep with a 'conductor' is slightly safer?

Before I bought the car/bike I was always taking jeeps, often late at night.  Perhaps I was fortunate, because I never experienced any problem.

The only issue I've had was years ago in Malate in Manila, cutting through a dark alley one night, a street kid threatened me with a knife.  There was a short one sided conversation, and he decided not to pursue the matter.

Other than the opportune tourist, their bread and butter are single girls, have never heard of a failed attempt.

thanks for the details. I have had a guy like that sit across from me with sunglasses while there were plenty of other seats and he just stared at me, yes I could tell even though he was wearing glasses. He did not smile though and looked quite threatening. I decided to go with my gut instinct and get off shortly after with my girlfriend.

I will have to ask my girlfriend to refrain from going out on jeeps late at night now. I already told her I did not like it when she would visit her sister etc so now I have a good reason.

post-16314-0-34311700-1406792207_thumb.jpg
Advise the little woman to sit up front with the jeepney driver, she’ll be as good as gold!

First 2 times, there was no conductor, only this last time. He said he didn’t recognize the snatchers but, has had experience with their kind.

Most jeepney robberies, I’ve heard of, take place downtown where it’s easy to hide. Usually at night, to Filipinas exposing their phones. Sometimes, collecting every visible phone on the jeep, “snatcher had a handgun”. Who knows, might have been a toy gun?