Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

Typhoon RAMMASUN (GLENDA/09W)

BossHog

TYPHOON RAMMASUN (GLENDA) UPDATE NUMBER 006
Issued at: 6:30 PM PhT (10:30 GMT) Monday 14 July 2014

CURRENT CYCLONE INFORMATION

Location: Over the central part of the Philippine Sea (near 12.7N 128.7E)
About: 495 km east-southeast of Virac, Catanduanes...or 545 km east-southeast of Legazpi City, Albay
Maximum Sustained Winds (1-min avg): 120 kph near the center...Gustiness: 150 kph
24 hr. Rain Accumulation (near the center): 200 to 350 mm [Heavy to Extreme]
Size (in diameter): 520 km (Small)
Area of Damaging Winds (95 kph or more): 35 kilometers from the center
Past Movement: West-Southwest @ 22 kph
Forecast Movement: West to West-Northwest @ 24 kph
Towards: Bicol Region

09W RAMMASUN 140714 1200 12.7N 128.2E WPAC 75 967

75 knot winds now. Landfall as a category two typhoon looking possible if it does intensify

started to track more southerly than expected earlier which means Manila could catch the business side of the storm.

looks like Wednesday late morning in Manila is not the place to be.

post-5791-0-41709700-1405342808_thumb.gif

post-5791-0-13370700-1405342559_thumb.png

Notice the two LPAs lining up in the Pacific in the next graphic.Yikes

post-5791-0-56930100-1405343185_thumb.gif

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3

SomeRandomGuy

I saved a like

Sent from my ass to your eyes

4thDan

Thanks....been trying to get onto Pagasa web site, but they must be overloaded.....

BossHog

hot off the presses

looks like northern Samar is gonna cop it too

post-5791-0-46034900-1405346970_thumb.gif

WTPN32 PGTW 141500MSGID/GENADMIN/JOINT TYPHOON WRNCEN PEARL HARBOR HI//SUBJ/TROPICAL CYCLONE WARNING//RMKS/1. TYPHOON 09W (RAMMASUN) WARNING NR 017       01 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONE IN NORTHWESTPAC   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS BASED ON ONE-MINUTE AVERAGE   WIND RADII VALID OVER OPEN WATER ONLY    ---   WARNING POSITION:   141200Z --- NEAR 12.7N 128.2E     MOVEMENT PAST SIX HOURS - 255 DEGREES AT 10 KTS     POSITION ACCURATE TO WITHIN 030 NM     POSITION BASED ON EYE FIXED BY SATELLITE   PRESENT WIND DISTRIBUTION:   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 075 KT, GUSTS 090 KT....
REMARKS:141500Z POSITION NEAR 12.7N 127.6E.TYPHOON 09W (RAMMASUN), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 435 NM EAST-SOUTHEAST OF MANILA, PHILIPPINES, HAS TRACKED WEST-SOUTHWESTWARDAT 10 KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 141200Z IS 24 FEET.

post-5791-0-86046900-1405347294_thumb.gif

Edited by BossHog

BossHog
142100Z POSITION NEAR 12.8N 126.3E.TYPHOON 09W (RAMMASUN), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 362 NM EAST-SOUTHEAST OF MANILA, PHILIPPINES, HAS TRACKED WESTWARD AT 13KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 141800Z IS 26 FEET.

post-5791-0-57908800-1405372983_thumb.gif

post-5791-0-36771900-1405373115_thumb.gif

Slowing down a bit which is not a good thing since it gets time to strengthen over warm sea water.

I see that both Hainan and Hanoi and in the model tracks.

BossHog

TYPHOON RAMMASUN (GLENDA) UPDATE NUMBER 008
Issued at: 6:00 AM PhT (22:00 GMT) Tuesday 15 July 2014
Next Update: 12:00 PM PhT (04:00 GMT) Tuesday 15 July 2014

Typhoon RAMMASUN (GLENDA) continues to strengthen while still over the Philippine Sea as it moves closer to Bicol-Samar Area...threat to Bicol Region and Northern Samar increases. The potential landfall area of this storm shall be over Albay-Southern Camarines Sur this evening, July 15.

post-5791-0-68279800-1405377812_thumb.gif

• Like 1

Hy H

Getting good bit of rain out of it here in Pooc sth. from Cebu city.  It will wet in parts flooded ride to Tabunok this morning.

cebubird

Wish we'd get some south of city.

Does anyone have a clue why the Philippine government in it's "infinite wisdom" finds it necessary to call a storm by a different name when it's in Philippine water. That is so incredibly stupid.

easy44

We got heavy heavy rain in Leyte last night and it has continued this morning.  Very windy although not Yolanda style.  Worst storm we have had lately and outside of Yolanda the worse one we have had in quite a while.  No power, of course, and generator had a dead battery, had to borrow the one from my car.

Tamed

will it come near Cebu city?

Skywalker

Raining pretty heavily here in Talamban, though we are not getting much wind.  

I guess we are on the periphery of Glenda or whatever her name is. 

Salty Dog

My wife is home visiting her family in Sorsogon and they canceled her flight out of Legazpi for the next two days. Looks like the storm might pass right over her.

Booked her into a hotel because she isn't too sure about the tin roof on her house. The damn hotel shut down 10 minutes after I booked and paid for her room.

I was surprised because I got a call a few minutes later explaining why they were closing. They said when she gets there they have arranged for her to stay at a safer hotel in town and they will provide transportation there.

She doesn't have the credit card I booked the room with and they said no problem and just asked that I email the confirmation from Agoda.

Actual fast and efficient customer service even in such trying times with the storm bearing down on them. I'm impressed.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 6

Foxy Rob

Steady light rain here at the moment in Sabang- Mindoro Oriental. All boats have shifted off their moorings and headed for safe anchorage in Puerto Galera. Expect we might get a bit of a battering here due to its slight southerly movement.

4thDan

rain started here in Danao City last night and just stopped about 30 mins ago.....don't need to water the garden...may have to pump it out...LOL

contraman

Does anyone have a clue why the Philippine government in it's "infinite wisdom" finds it necessary to call a storm by a different name when it's in Philippine water.

That is so incredibly stupid.

Because they can,