• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David_LivinginTalisay

• Cipro

• davedude

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i know david you love chinese products whether it's there tablets, there electric motorcycles or now there gas motorcycles but us in the real world know that most of there  stuff is crap especially s

Regarding the KLR650  as compared to the RX3, adding 11% to the curb weight and 260% to the displacement doesn't seem like a bad thing. In fact if one offered that tradeoff as an option to RX3 owners

i just cant help myself! i just love dual sport (and motard) bikes! i really like the look of the zongshen but through experience doubt the china bikes durability until they are long proven. here in

Posted Images

Mandingo

Seems really heavy for a 250cc bike. 

It is heavy.......... I had a 1984 Honda XL 600R that I bought new to ride the logging roads back home. It only weighed around 350 lbs. and it was a lot of weight to be throwing around all day. I would be exhausted at the end of the ride and that was 30 years ago when I was young and in shape. I don't think I could do that today at my age.

Cipro

It is heavy.......... I had a 1984 Honda XL 600R that I bought new to ride the logging roads back home. It only weighed around 350 lbs. and it was a lot of weight to be throwing around all day. I would be exhausted at the end of the ride and that was 30 years ago when I was young and in shape. I don't think I could do that today at my age.

This thing weighs within a whisker of my liter sport bike. It's like they made it of cast iron or something. In fact it's about the same heft as a Kawasaki KLR 650, but without the power or (likely) build quality. 

• Like 2
SkyMan

Maybe the weight given is with a habel habel load.

Cipro

Some of the little cheap "sport" (faux-sport really) bikes like the EX250 are almost this heavy but they are multi-cylinder machines with somewhat sophisticated chassis and bodywork. For a single cylinder 250 this is about a filipina (a unit of weight equal to 88 pounds) overweight. I was offered a KLR650 in Sunnyvale, CA 2 years ago, new, on the showroom floor, for $5400 (+ tax of course, it is after all CA) - in that context I can't see p125k for a Chinese wunderbike as a good value in any way.

In fact, in terms of TCO, it's probably expensive.  

easy44

Some of the little cheap "sport" (faux-sport really) bikes like the EX250 are almost this heavy but they are multi-cylinder machines with somewhat sophisticated chassis and bodywork. For a single cylinder 250 this is about a filipina (a unit of weight equal to 88 pounds) overweight. I was offered a KLR650 in Sunnyvale, CA 2 years ago, new, on the showroom floor, for $5400 (+ tax of course, it is after all CA) - in that context I can't see p125k for a Chinese wunderbike as a good value in any way.

In fact, in terms of TCO, it's probably expensive.  

You are right on the value, but as usual, here in the Philippines value has a different meaning.  You can only judge these bikes in relation to whatever else is available in this market.  With the duty charged on new and used imported bikes, there is no such thing as a good deal here.

• Like 2
thebob

You are right on the value, but as usual, here in the Philippines value has a different meaning.  You can only judge these bikes in relation to whatever else is available in this market.  With the duty charged on new and used imported bikes, there is no such thing as a good deal here.

It seems to define the "all show and no go" philosophy that prevalent here. It looks cool because it has every imaginable piece of junk you can hang on it. It's a pose bike, and people are willing to pay for that. I wonder who will be the first to paint the wheels and engine yellow!

• Like 1
easy44

It seems to define the "all show and no go" philosophy that prevalent here. It looks cool because it has every imaginable piece of junk you can hang on it. It's a pose bike, and people are willing to pay for that. I wonder who will be the first to paint the wheels and engine yellow!

That's the Filipino style, just like they decorate most things.  No such thing as elegant simplicity, it's the more junk the better.  To each his own.

• Like 1
Cipro

Kawasaki Super Sherpa is more my style.

• Like 2
davedude

Kawasaki Super Sherpa is more my style.

Mine too! I have a 2001. Still too heavy but I put a BEET Racing kit in it and resprung the suspension. The BEET kit bumps the displacement up to 300cc with a new jug and piston. Comes with two new camshafts for more lift and duration. I got the titanium pipe, aluminum street muffler and external oil cooler also. Brian Storrie at SMS Racing installed the kit, rejetted the carb, and resprung/ revalved the suspension. The suspension is a bit stiff, but that means I wont bottom out and deflect when hitting large obstacles hard, maintaining control.(I hope) The stock suspension was really plush on the street but grim in the technical shit, to say the least.

Much more fun now. I ride it mostly back and forth to work, a 20 mile round trip.The only problem I had was when I spun the flywheel on the crankshaft 180 degrees out. Took me awhile to figure that one out, but lapped the flywheel/crankshaft taper, installed a new key, torked flywheel nut to spec plus a little bit and she is running sweet again. Maybe the crankshaft flywheel was not tourqed to spec at the factory. 

All the best,

Dave Dude

• Like 1
Cipro

Mine too! I have a 2001. Still too heavy but I put a BEET Racing kit in it and resprung the suspension. 

For off road I always just used a KX, CR, etc., and had street bikes for the street. For tooling around PH, a KLR650 would be my top pick, if I wanted something for offroad, the older BMW G450X or similar would be ideal. 

• Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

i know david you love chinese products whether it's there tablets, there electric motorcycles or now there gas motorcycles but us in the real world know that most of there 

stuff is crap especially sold here in the philippines. maybe what's sold in the U S is better quality because the U S goverment requires them to warranty there products but overall i'd take a japanese or thailand or almost anywhere else manufactured product then chinese even if the chinese product is cheaper. oh and yes when the chinese product is brand new

advertised they all look beautiful but give the chinese product a short time and they don't stand up. i saw some chinese electric motorcycles at park mall yesterday and they looked like plastic toys...

Billy, I am sure you are well aware, that there are differences between manufacturers in the Western world and there are indeed differences between manufacturers in China.

All the major car manufacturers are producing cars in China, via a Chinese 'partner' company.  

You think these famous Brand Car Markers would allow their reputation to get a bad reputation if the Chinese version was of lower build and quality control as well as lower price than their Western World version?

It is the same with Western Motorcycle manufacturers like Harley Davidson, wanting the emerging 'nuvo riche' Chinese Market after 'status symbol'.

Who did Harley Davidson choose to partner with?

Zongshen has evolved the 'CYCLONE' Range, to be for EXPORT, not the mainland China Domestic market, and is the partner that Harley Davidson selected.

I have posted to this Forum about the effort and investment that Zongshen put into improving the CYCLONE range so it was suitable for the EXPORT market, so I wont bother repeating that.

I suggest you read what Forum Member Barry Rio thinks about such Chinese 155cc water cooled compared to Honda XR200 at more than double the price (who sold his Honda XR200 and bought a MotorStar Moto X155).  

Or perhaps better to contact Jovito Beguña that sold his Honda CB110 to buy Barry's Moto X155, when he moved to Dumaguette.

• Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay

Seems really heavy for a 250cc bike. 

It is a water-cooled 250cc engine so will be heavier than an air-cooled engine of same capacity, due water jacket, twin radiators, twin electric fans and the weight of the water!

Then consider it has front and rear crash bars, bash shield below the engine, and the  2 x side boxes and top box plus mountings, and half fairing!

If you are concerned about weight, then don't consider the Kawasaki KLR650

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_klr650%2008.htm

Seat Height889 mm  /  35 in.

Wet-Weight: 194 kg  /  432 lbs

MSRP of $6,499.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/04/15/2014-kawasaki-klr650-new-edition-dual-sport-adventure-first-ride-review-photos-specifications/

SPECIFICATIONS  

2014 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

ENGINE                                            Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single

DISPLACEMENT                             651cc

BORE & STROKE                           100.0 x 83.0mm

COMPRESSION RATIO                 9.8:1

COOLING                                         Liquid

CARBURETION                               Keihin CVK40

IGNITION                                           Electric CDI

TRANSMISSION                               Five-speed

FINAL DRIVE                                    Sealed chain

FRAME                                               Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel

RAKE / TRAIL                                    28º / 4.4 in.

FRONT SUSPENSION / TRAVEL  41mm telescopic fork / 7.9 in.

REAR SUSPENSION / TRAVEL     Single shock with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping / 7.3 in.

FRONT TIRE                                     Dunlop K750, 90/90-21

REAR TIRE                                        Dunlop K750, 130/80-17

FRONT BRAKE                                 Single 280mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper

REAR BRAKE                                    Single 240mm disc, single-piston caliper

OVERALL LENGTH                          90.4 in.

OVERALL WIDTH                             37.8 in.

OVERALL HEIGHT                           53.1 in.

GROUND CLEARANCE                 8.3 in.

SEAT HEIGHT                                  35.0 in.

CLAIMED CURB WEIGHT              432 lb.

GVWR                                                788 lb.

FUEL CAPACITY                              6.1 gal.

WHEELBASE                                   58.3 in.

ALTERNATOR OUTPUT                731 watts

COLOR CHOICES                          Candy Lime Green/Ebony, Metallic Flat Raw Graystone/Ebony, Pearl Stardust White/Ebony

MSRP                                                 $6599

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
thebob

If you are concerned about weight, then don't consider the Kawasaki KLR650

David it isn't just weight, it's power to weight ratio and that bike is going to be a slug.

• Like 1
Cipro

Regarding the KLR650  as compared to the RX3, adding 11% to the curb weight and 260% to the displacement doesn't seem like a bad thing. In fact if one offered that tradeoff as an option to RX3 owners I'm willing to bet most would take it. As for price, TCO isn't likely to be much different. In one case, $3000 that decays to something near $0 (and probably irreparably broken) in a few years, vs $6000 that decays to $3000 or so in the same span, but remains completely serviceable for decades. 

As a point of reference the Honda CRF250L is considered a bit of a porker for a Japanese water cooled single cylinder 250, at 60 pounds LESS than the RX3, costs $4500 new, and has excellent value retention over time. 

• Like 3