Sign in to follow this  
throttleplate

I Caught a Pickpocket With my Wallet in His Hand

bounder

Probably one reason that I don't carry a wallet anymore.  I spread out my money in those many cargo shorts pockets and am definitely aware of my surroundings and those around me when using the ATM.  I got taken once in Luzon.....not likely ever again. 

jtmwatchbiz

i never ever carry a wallet here in cebu or anywhere for that matter. i learned that from the wiseguys in NYC when i was just a kid. always carry your money neatly folded in half in your front pocket wrapped with rubber bands and no ID. 

additionally, zipper pockets here in these islands and other places that are notorious for pick pockets work well too.

if you must have a drivers license and other papers handy just keep them in the glove box of your car or in another hidden place inside your car. just access them when you anticipate needing them.  

smokey

they have your number a foreigner with money who does not want to offend trike drivers ... they think your ripe to be plucked buy bike and stop riding trike

• Like 1

smokey

This reminds me about my second day in Cebu. I just exchanged $100 to pesos at a money exchange in Tabanok and boarded a jeepney. A big guy followed and sat near me. Then another guy decided to sit near the big fella and we had to shuffle along the bench. At the next stop they both got off and there was my wallet sitting on the seat. Thankfully he only took the money and left my cards, but more so that I never caught him or it may have turned ugly....

would you do a bruce lee on his big body.... and then when the dust settles he and his buddy would say the foreigner went nuts for some reason and asked me where to find young girls and then he HIT ME and i defended myself ............, of course its your word against their word

ozboy

NO smokey.....ugly for me...im not that friggin STUPID to act aggressively in any foreign country....even if I verbally reacted im sure he and his companion would have reacted.......I will leave the kung-fu stuff to you..

• Like 2

smokey

NO smokey.....ugly for me...im not that friggin STUPID to act aggressively in any foreign country....even if I verbally reacted im sure he and his companion would have reacted.......I will leave the kung-fu stuff to you..

all i could do is take off my size 40 shoe and try to hit him like that guy did against bush ...

• Like 1

throttleplate

which area is this, it sounds like the trike riders play a big part in your life, I remember you had some issues with sniper recently. Maybe you could consider buying your own bike and getting them out of your life?

I live in a hotel and at times there are other expats staying here so this guy seen me and thought I was a newbie and pulling his don't stop the trike routine as if I was wrong on where I was to catch my jeep.I use my legs and jeeps to get around and trike for water runs and occasionally like yesterday just didn't want to walk to jeep stop.

It was my fault for letting the old man hop a ride as its a one passenger fare,i let my guard down.When the picker was tapping me on my leg and yelling and pointing to the driver to keep going he was actually working my wallet out with his tapping hand and distracting me by pointing ahead and me looking at trike driver yelling at him to stop,it was perfect setup but by pure luck and some help from above I caught the guy.This will not deter me from riding a trike,i don't ever expect to get picked pocket while sitting alone in a trike unless some guy walks up to me and pulls a gun or a knife on me.When I ride jeeps I always know and keep a hand on my pocket and 90% of the time I ride the front seat alone.

I must say about sniper,as outfront as he is about thinking he is my so called suki maybe its a good thing to be able to have someone like that around.I could tell sniper to find out whom it was or ask him about this scam and if it happened before on his street but I don't know if I should bring more attention to it or just let it die? As far as trikes thinking I am easy to rob I will say that they failed,how can I be easy when I caught the dude?Watch the tv show Scam City and see how pickpockets work,they worked me but again I got lucky,they failed and I confronted them.I won this day.

Edited by Headshot
Fixed quote

Davaoeno

I have to commend the actors involved for a very effective scheme .  I really appreciate those who have inventive methods of separating others from their funds.  

Edited by Davaoeno

throttleplate

if I was to punch him in his old face and he went down and hit his head and died or was in a bad way I would be up shit creek and joining that aussie in prison hell all over a wallet that they didn't get.I have read 2 cases in the past 3 years where 2 dudes got into a fight outside a bar in my hometown and one guy fell from the punch and hit his head and died and the puncher spent tons of money to claim self defense and eventually got off.The other incident the guy whom got punched is now on a feeding tube from hitting his head and needs 24 hour care while the puncher is serving prison time.

If I was being physically robbed and being abused well then I would fight back as adrenaline would take over and I would be defending myself from further harm as this has happened to me in the usa a few years ago I got jumped from behind by 2 dudes at night walking in my neighborhood and I fought them off to the point where they walked away with nothing.

garg

Don't trust anyone you don't know.

And most of the people you do know.

Sometimes the foreigners are worse than the locals, and they're looking for a far bigger score.

A_Simple_Man

I have had similar situations so I know the feeling of relief that you got your wallet back before the thief fvcked off with it. Were you tempted to 'accidentally' break his wrist while taking your wallet back?  He would not do it again then.

smokey

if I was to punch him in his old face and he went down and hit his head and died or was in a bad way I would be up shit creek and joining that aussie in prison hell all over a wallet that they didn't get.I have read 2 cases in the past 3 years where 2 dudes got into a fight outside a bar in my hometown and one guy fell from the punch and hit his head and died and the puncher spent tons of money to claim self defense and eventually got off.The other incident the guy whom got punched is now on a feeding tube from hitting his head and needs 24 hour care while the puncher is serving prison time.

If I was being physically robbed and being abused well then I would fight back as adrenaline would take over and I would be defending myself from further harm as this has happened to me in the usa a few years ago I got jumped from behind by 2 dudes at night walking in my neighborhood and I fought them off to the point where they walked away with nothing.

WELL if you fight back and find yourself in jail let us know so we can gossip about you 

contraman

WELL if you fight back and find yourself in jail let us know so we can gossip about you

And we will not visit you as we may be guilty by association :(

smokey

And we will not visit you as we may be guilty by association :(

i wont visit you but will send a few banana to you

• Like 1

contraman

i wont visit you but will send a few banana to you

Thankyou

Could you make sure they are a little on the green side,

They taste much better than the fully ripe ones :)