Sign in to follow this  
ancienrocka

Warning - Don't risk having no onward ticket when coming to the Philippines

ancienrocka

Who is the "they" that had his passport?

"they" = "the authorities there" - Singapore Immigration.

musicman666

I always have a return ticket....I come in multiple times a year but have never been asked...I can only guess that you shouldn't look like someone who wants to overstay.

• Like 1

contraman

Maybe he means an APEC card ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No  I had one of those but the Company got me the ASEAN card in June 2014

Issued via Singapore

Edited by contraman
  • Like 1

ancienrocka

The only reason I posted is to warn people of what can go wrong.

It is hard in our business to give 100% advice as the rules change weekly and often the interpretation of the law is down to the person you are dealing with - btw this is no different to any country in the world, so don't think this is a down on the Philippines. However, being at most agencies 2-3 times a week does give us an edge on the guy that heads there for the first time.

Just try your best to make sure you have "ticked" every box before you do anything with any government agency - anywhere in the world!

• Like 5

SkyMan

So, the memorandum is just explaining that Balikbayans are exempt from requiring an onward and or a return ticket, where as it is a mandatory requirement for all regular tourists entering the Philippines!

Those flying without a visa, yes. If you have a valid 9a in your passport you don't need an exit ticket because you've already been granted a stay.

Woolf

Those flying without a visa, yes. If you have a valid 9a in your passport you don't need an exit ticket because you've already been granted a stay.

I think you should read post #13 again

Woolf

Philippine embassy USA

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#nonimmigrant

--------------

9(A) Temporary Visitor’s Visa
REQUIREMENTS:
---
3. Travel Itinerary (applicant must be a holder of a roundtrip/onward flight ticket out of Manila)

---

----------------

One more thing from

Philippine embassy Norway

http://www.philembassy.no/consular-services/visa

-----------------

Visa What is a Philippine Visa?

A Philippine Visa is an endorsement made on a travel document by a consular officer at a Philippine Embassy or Consulate abroad denoting that the visa application has been properly examined and that the bearer is permitted to proceed to the Philippines and request permission from the Philippine Immigration authorities at the ports of entries to enter the country. The visa thus issued is not a guarantee that the holder will be automatically admitted into the country, because the admission of foreign nationals into the Philippines is a function of the immigration authorities at the port of entry.

--------------

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

topcat72m

I need some advice on this. I am a first time visitors to Pi and don't understand some of the terms used so I am going to ask a specific question.

I am traveling from Ireland in November and will be staying 3 months exactly. I will have a return flight booked for this journey. Can I enter with this as my onward flight with a standard tourist visa or should I book an onward flight sooner. Any advice appreciated.

Woolf

I am traveling from Ireland in November and will be staying 3 months exactly. I will have a return flight booked for this journey. Can I enter with this as my onward flight with a standard tourist visa or should I book an onward flight sooner. Any advice appreciated.

Are you going to have a 3 month entry visa in your passport

or are just going to the philippines without the prearanged visa

to get the 30 days at entry ???

Paul

In November, 2006, I was granted a 9(a) visa from the Philippine Embassy in Wellington, New Zealand. Upon arrival, I was asked for my onward ticket.

However, I will admit that, at the time I arrived, the immigration agent missed my visa somewhere along the way. She issued me a 21 day stamp elsewhere in the passport. :rolleyes: This happened, even though I had the passport opened to the 9(a) visa! 

Edited by Paul

topcat72m

Are you going to have a 3 month entry visa in your passport

or are just going to the philippines without the prearanged visa

to get the 30 days at entry ???

I haven't got a prearranged visa. Would you recommend that I get one.

Woolf

I can only tell, that I have entered philippines

about 4 times, and did not have a prearranged visa

my return ticket was 1/2 year later and have had no problems

With no prearranged visa you will be given a 30 day stay permit

you will have to go to an immigration office to have it extended

to 59 days  at the cost of 3030 php and after that  you will have to go get another extension

Here is the link to Philippine Consulate, Ireland

http://philippineconsulate.ie/index.php/consular-matters/visa/

• Like 1

topcat72m

Thank you. From reading the Pi consulate info the entry should be for no longer than 59 days. I think I'll get an onwards throw away ticket.

Paddy

Thank you. From reading the Pi consulate info the entry should be for no longer than 59 days. I think I'll get an onwards throw away ticket.

Good choice. Read this topic http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/71321-purchasing-a-throw-away-onward-ticket/ Post #17 gives an example of what I have referred to as a Salty Dog special.

If there is a convenient Philippines consulate near you, I recommend getting a 59 day tourist visa before you leave. You can then do a 1 month extension in the Philippines.

I also recommend that you buy a return ticket for your full 3 month period and a Salty Dog special to match the validity of your initial visa (30 days on arrival or 59 days from the consulate). This will eliminate any real or potential onward ticket problems with immigration or airlines AND minimize your ticket costs.

Do the math on the dates and lengths of visas and extensions carefully before you book any tickets. Your initial visa will be a specific number of days (30 or 59). Extensions are calendar months.

When you get your extension, don't leave the BI office until you have checked that the date stamped in your passport is correct. They have been known to make mistakes. It happened to me in Legazpi in May. I spotted it - they corrected it. It WAS commented on at NAIA last week when I left.

Edit: if you're interested, the comment was "is this date supposed to be July 4 or July 14?" Since I was travelling on July 9, the last thing I want is for an immigration official to think my visa was valid until July 4!!! 

Edited by Paddy

topcat72m

Thanks paddy. The nearest consulate is about 1.5 hrs away but it might be worth a try. I will be getting the 3 months return ticket.