Sign in to follow this  
ancienrocka

Warning - Don't risk having no onward ticket when coming to the Philippines

Paul

A clarification question:  My wife and I fly to HongKong for a holiday.  My current Visa is a tourist Visa, but on our return, I should be given a Balikbaylans Visa as we are married correct?  So, under this scenario I should not need an onward ticket.  However, technically, I won't be given the Balikbaylans Visa until I re-enter the PH, so do I need an onward ticket to board the plane?

First, it is not a visa. Balikbayan stamps are a privilege given to the spouse and children of returning a Balikbayan, upon their entry into the country, together. This privilege is good for up to one year. (The stamp will usually have BB written on it, with a one year expiration date.)

Now, I am correct here, you (the family) should NOT need an onward ticket, due to the fact that you cannot schedule a flight more than one year in advance. 

I am sure someone with more experience will come along and verify or shoot holes in my post. Anyone, please feel free to do either.

Edited by Paul

Monsoon

A clarification question:  My wife and I fly to HongKong for a holiday.  My current Visa is a tourist Visa, but on our return, I should be given a Balikbaylans Visa as we are married correct?  So, under this scenario I should not need an onward ticket.  However, technically, I won't be given the Balikbaylans Visa until I re-enter the PH, so do I need an onward ticket to board the plane?

No need. Personal experience in the past. However, sometimes you need to be persistent with the check in personnel and they sometimes call a supervisor. 

lopburi3

Re Thailand

From the Embassy website.

Must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry, as appropriate.

Open tickets do not qualify.

Travelling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.

Looks like the" border runs" loophole has been closed

That is not a fixed requirement but can be required - but only for visa exempt entry (15 - 30 days)  - tourist visa entry is 60 days and no onward ticket is required for any Thai visa holder.  Immigration makes the entry call - not Embassies.  

lopburi3

It is the airline you board to come here that checks for onward flights, not immigration.

The airline should check but that is to protect themselves.  You are required to meet entry requirements and immigration can check and deny entry to anyone.

contraman

That is not a fixed requirement but can be required - but only for visa exempt entry (15 - 30 days) - tourist visa entry is 60 days and no onward ticket is required for any Thai visa holder. Immigration makes the entry call - not Embassies.

Only quoting what has been published

I have an ASEAN card so no issue

Belive they are changing that also.

Edited by contraman

lopburi3

Indeed the onward ticket may become a requirement for tourist visas in the future as they are currently being closely checked - those making entry in southern Thailand are currently are having issues if more than a few consecutive entries and some are being turned around and not allowed entry.  But that Embassy notice is old and only applies to visa exempt entry as a tourist visa entry is 60 days for most nationalities.

The big change may turn out to be on the overstay front - where the normal fine and forgive may turn to banned from entry for years or life.  That is a major turn - if it sees the light of day for more than a few days.

Edited by lopburi3

NOSOCALPINOY
The OP: Warning - Don't risk having no onward ticket when coming to the Philippines

The RP BI Memorandum I posted explains that exactly! I would only assume it came about because Balikbayans were being hassled by the airlines from point of embarkation in the U.S., as an example Delta Airlines in the U.S. were and are still hassling Balikbayans to show proof of an onward or return ticket! 

So, the memorandum is just explaining that Balikbayans are exempt from requiring an onward and or a return ticket, where as it is a mandatory requirement for all regular tourists entering the Philippines! 

Going to other Asian countries from the Philippines, it is where the memorandum may have no jurisdiction what the other country's immigration rules and regulations are unless they too accept the RP BI's memorandum as well!

When we went to Hong Kong Feb of 2010 with a British/Filipina couple friends ours who were also Balikbayans and we flew PAL roundtrip, PAL at the ticket counter in Hong Kong ask our British friend for his follow-on ticket before he could board the plane returning to Manila and not me even though we were all in Balikbayan status! Fortunately he had one by my recommendation, but I didn't have one since I looked Filipino and my U.S. passport says I was born in the Philippines. That was in Feb of 2010 and the memorandum is dated May 8, 2012! If the our British friend is with his Filipina wife, he too is a Balikbayan and shouldn't need a follow-on ticket! JMHO since that was what was explained in the memorandum that Balikbayans are exempt from requiring a return and or an onward ticket! The ticket counter agent probably screwed up in interrupting the memorandum! 

So, I believe it was the RP BI's intention to straighten out this issue concerning the Balikbayan travelers coming to the Philippines from the U.S. on a one-way ticket, which we've now done several times already even way before this memorandum came out in May of 2012!

BTW, someone made the comment that the memorandum was old! Was there anything that changed or added on to the original? Most and all RP immigration laws, rules and regulations, if there are no new memorandums, revisions and or changes to the original, the original laws, rules or regulations are still in effect no matter how old it is!   

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
  • Like 2

Paul

LOL. God, I feel like such an idiot. No comments necessary. 

• Like 1

hyaku

I have been told no ongoing ticket no fly for years. When asking why the response was, 'Because they fine us'. They don't like single tickets unless you are returning to your country of origin or one you are allowed to reside in. It's an 'old'rule.

Edited by hyaku

Jim in Cebu

About two months ago, an US acquaintenance flew on Asiana Airlines from Seattle to Seoul to Manila one-way.  He didn't have any trouble getting on the airline in Seattle, but Asiana refused to let him board the Seoul (ICN) to Manila leg without him having to pay $450 for a throw-away onward ticket!

--

It's more fun in the Philippines -- assuming you can get there!

Edited by Jim in Cebu

Jim in Cebu

I have an ASEAN card so no issue

What's an "ASEAN card"?

Jim in Cebu

When he tried to board the plane in Singapore, the authorities there told him they would not release his passport because he was a "deportee" and would need to buy a ticket back to his country of origin - Australia.

Who is the "they" that had his passport?

contraman

What's an "ASEAN card"?

It is similar to the old APAC Card That allows access for business purposes to nominated countries without a Visa.

Mine is for Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand.

It is supposed to allow you to use the diplomatic queues etc. but found that it takes too much explaining in most places. :(

Ken Oath

What's an "ASEAN card"?

Maybe he means an APEC card ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolf

Asean card

http://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/2013/05/03/asean-to-launch-business-traveler-card-by-2015.html

ASEAN to Launch Business Traveler Card By 2015

Posted on

May 3, 2013

by ASEAN Briefing

May. 3 – The leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have agreed to launch an ASEAN business traveler card by 2015. The traveler card will allow frequent business travelers from ASEAN countries to stay for months at a time in other ASEAN countries without the need to obtain a visa.

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said that the proposal, which was first suggested by ASEAN chair Brunei Darussalam during last month’s summit meeting, would help to facilitate travel among investors in the region and accelerate ASEAN connectivity. Currently, most business travelers may only obtain a two to four-week temporary visa when travelling to other countries in the bloc.

Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said that the program may later be extended to countries outside of ASEAN, suggesting that businesspeople from the so-called “plus three” (China, Japan and South Korea) would also be made eligible for the program.

Few details on the program were given at the meeting, and no definition of “business traveler” was supplied.

Last month’s ASEAN summit also saw progress with certain countries liberalizing their visa regulations. Specifically, Cambodia and Thailand have decided to issue a common visa for visitors from 35 nations and regions to their respective countries. Vietnam, Myanmar and Laos are also set to expand their visa programs soon, with the countries planning to eventually allow travel access to visitors from all 10 ASEAN countries by way of a common visa.

The free movement of business and leisure travelers within ASEAN is one of the pillars of the ASEAN Economic Community, which is also set to be launched in 2015.

- See more at: http://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/2013/05/03/asean-to-launch-business-traveler-card-by-2015.html#sthash.r58N2Hkb.dpuf