Sign in to follow this  
ancienrocka

Warning - Don't risk having no onward ticket when coming to the Philippines

manly4eva

Wow i must have been lucky.I flew to RP in November last year on a 59 visa but had no onward ticket.The check-in counter in Brisbane asked if I had one and I told them I don't know when I would be returning so I didn't purchase one..There was a little chikka between her and the boss lady and all was good.I had no issues when landing in RP either.But after seeing some of the threads on this I will be getting a cheap throw away ticket or a fully refundable one and cancelling it when i arrive there.

Paul

^

A_Simple_Man

Wow i must have been lucky.

It seems to me that this is the problem.  People get lucky most of the time and start to think it is not important, until they run up against an officious official and it costs them some real money.

• Like 3

David_LivinginTalisay

When I checked in @ CebuPacificAir at Hong Kong International Airport, I was asked "Where is your return Air Ticket".
I don't have one I replied, to which the Check-in Clerk exclaimed "But you must buy one now or you can't fly!".

I explained, that I did not need one as I am a Permanent Resident, and showed my 'ACR I-Card'.

Cebu Pacific are certainly on the ball, for checking that passengers have an on-ward or return ticket

• Like 1

contraman

Isn't it strange that when it comes to enforcement of immigration rules/laws, they are on the ball.

Yet anything else, they don't care :(

• Like 4

lopburi3

The airline should not have allowed travel - below is the notice on IATA website which all airlines access (although they may use a different front end).  A tourist visa is considered to be for touristic purposes.

- Visitors traveling for touristic or business purposes must

hold return/onward tickets:

- exempt are former nationals of the Philippines

(Balikbayans) and accompanying spouses and children.
- exempt are holders of an APEC Business Travel Card
(ABTC)For details, click here provided endorsed Valid for travel to
PHL".

• Like 1

Monsoon

Yet another reason for a tourist to pass on visiting the Philippines during their tour of SE Asia. 

No problems going to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore with a one way ticket and decide later when you want to leave and where you are going. I like to travel like this when I go on my semi-annual walk about trips for 3 weeks or more. I'm sure I am not the only one who likes to travel like that as well. It would cause me to say, "ah screw them, lets avoid that place its a pain in the ass." 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

hyaku

It is the airline you board to come here that checks for onward flights, not immigration.

• Like 1

contraman

Yet another reason for a tourist to pass on visiting the Philippines during their tour of SE Asia. 

No problems going to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore with a one way ticket and decide later when you want to leave and where you are going. I like to travel like this when I go on my semi-annual walk about trips for 3 weeks or more. I'm sure I am not the only one who likes to travel like that as well. It would cause me to say, "ah screw them, lets avoid that place its a pain in the ass."

I travel to Thailand on a regular basis, Always required to have an onward ticket.

Went to Cambodia last week, and it was the same.

Maybe it depends upon what passport you are carrying.

contraman

Re Thailand

From the Embassy website.

Must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry, as appropriate.

Open tickets do not qualify.

Travelling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.

Looks like the" border runs" loophole has been closed

Edited by contraman

A_Simple_Man

It is the airline you board to come here that checks for onward flights, not immigration.

The opening post is quite clear that it was immigration in Philippines who deported him for no onward ticket and I can confirm that the immigration in Mactan have often checked my onward ticket on arrival.  Seems to me that both airline AND immigration do that check.

• Like 2

NOSOCALPINOY

post-6728-0-67222700-1404967480_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

contraman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That answers all.

End of Story

Edited by contraman

Bill H

A clarification question:  My wife and I fly to HongKong for a holiday.  My current Visa is a tourist Visa, but on our return, I should be given a Balikbaylans Visa as we are married correct?  So, under this scenario I should not need an onward ticket.  However, technically, I won't be given the Balikbaylans Visa until I re-enter the PH, so do I need an onward ticket to board the plane?