DIY Water Filter

lokias

I found this PDF while searching for low tech creations. It seems like a cheap solution for water filtration and maybe other applications so I thought I would share.

4244-7820-1-PB.pdf

• Like 3
thebob

I found this PDF while searching for low tech creations. It seems like a cheap solution for water filtration and maybe other applications so I thought I would share.

attachicon.gif4244-7820-1-PB.pdf

For those who don't realise the chemical used NaCl is regular salt. I'm looking forward to trying this over the next couple of weeks. Most table salt is iodised, as it should be and often contains additives to stop it clumping. I'm interested in testing both regular table salt, and also sea salt made by evaporation.

This is a great post, thanks a lot.

I'm also collecting designs for solar stills, they are much slower but very effective.

I look forward to hearing the results of your tests.  It would be interesting to see how dense the charcoal needs to be to completely clean the water.  Ideally the less dense you can make it and still get clean water the better the flow rate.  Greywater recover would be a good use for this.

Ozepete

Many years ago we had water cleaning problems. Plenty of water but filthy.

Thanks to a conversation in the late 60's with a Campbells Soup food scientist I got onto using filter alum. Two water tanks were needed, one would store the cleaned water (cleaner than rain water) ready for use, the other was the cleaning tank. The cleaning tank would get pumped full of dirty water then one KG of Filter Alum per 1000 gallons of water was added. (The Alum was first mixed into a thick liquid before adding to the tank) We then stirred the brew and left it for five days. This water was now clean and ready to pump over to the storage tank. 

What happens is the filter alum goes like a thick slim layer at the top of the dirty water then slowly sinks taking all the gunk down with it. The cleaning tank had to be up ended after several years and the now hard layer of gunk removed. This water was totally clear albeit a little hard so adding a couple of cups of soap powder (Not detergent) seemed to soften it up. We and others used this method for many years.

• 4 weeks later...
Knowdafish

For drinking water purposes this is a proven winner as long as the water is not laden with salt or chemicals.

how-a-biosand-filter-works.gif

While activated carbon can remove some chemical pollutants the question is will it remove all of them to a level that is safe to drink?

I would not want to constantly wonder if the water I was drinking was safe and have to get it checked all the time.

http://www.sswm.info/sites/default/files/reference_attachments/CAWST%202009%20Biosand%20Filter%20Manual.pdf

Edited by Knowdafish
  • Like 1
Skywalker

My brother in England incorporated a water harvesting system to catch rainfall off the roof, which ends up in a large tank.  That water is then filtered very simply, and is plumbed into all the cisterns for the lavatories.

Lavatories are major users of water, and drinking water is just wasted for flushing.

There is also a holding tank outside the kitchen which my SIL uses for all the house plants, hanging baskets and various potted plants around their garden area.

They didn't bother to cost it, but I would think their water bills are very much reduced.  It all helps. 

• Like 1
Paul

Skywalker, you mentioned a bit of concern for the cleanliness of rainwater harvesting. Here is a PDF that shows you how to build a Gravity Fed Chlorination System (on DropBox). These are perfect for gravity fed water systems. 

Edited by South'rn Boy
  • Like 1
Paul

I read that PDF. In it, on page #1, Item #1, it states:

there are some technologies that may also be able to remove certain chemicals as a secondary benefit, such as arsenic and iron. 

I thought Arsenic could not be removed from water? There are areas in Cambodia where Arsenic is, apparently, a natural occurring contaminant in the ground water? Whether nature or not, it was my understanding that you cannot filter it out.

Knowdafish

I read that PDF. In it, on page #1, Item #1, it states:

I thought Arsenic could not be removed from water? There are areas in Cambodia where Arsenic is, apparently, a natural occurring contaminant in the ground water? Whether nature or not, it was my understanding that you cannot filter it out.

RO might remove it? After all, it removes dissolved salt.

Edited by Knowdafish
fred42

I might have posted this before but probably worth doing so again..

A CNN team of scientists went to Africa to test the water of locals living near an open sewer that claimed they could make drinking water safe whilst their neighbors were dying horrible water bourne deaths..

They were putting their water into clear plastic bottles and put them on their roofs in the sun for 2 days before drinking..They reckoned this solved everything for them.

The scientists tested the untreated water and there was some real nasties showing up on the microscope images.. They stuck the samples on the roof in hot sun for 2 days and tested again.. 

The water was clean as a whistle and good to go..

These days when I buy 10 bottles of purified water..I leave them outside in the sun for two days!!

Paul

RO might remove it? After all, it removes dissolved salt.

Hmm. Would be interested in finding out, for sure.

These days when I buy 10 bottles of purified water..I leave them outside in the sun for two days!!

Ultraviolet light from the sun is killing the nasties in the water.

• Like 1