Sign in to follow this  
Barefooter

Forum terminology: e.g., pinned, hot, friend, tag. follow . . .

Barefooter

I am new to forums and don't even know if there is universal terminology or not, but where can I (other than Goggling isolated terms) maybe find a forum terminology glossary, at least for this forum?  If there isn't one, maybe s/o can create one for ignorant newbies such as myself?

Can s/o at least explain to me the terms in this posting's title?  For example, what criteria is used to indicate a topic is "hot"?

Also, is there a site map for this forum?

Edited by Barefooter

Lee

Forum lingo is not something to worry about as a new member as in time it will all start to make sense. 

contraman

in time it will all start to make sense. 

You Reckon ?

But it doesn't matter if it doesn't :)

• Like 1

Paul

Barefooter, first, and most importantly, what kind of device are you using to access this forum? I mean, are you using a phone, or one of those iPad tablets? A Laptop, perhaps? Or, a full sized desktop home computer? 

Paul

Here is a bit of "How to" concerning your text editor. The "Box" at the bottom of the screen is called the "Fast Reply" or Quick Reply". Alternatively, you may click the button at the immediate top right of any thread, that reads, "Reply to this topic".

Screenshot 2014-07-02 23.17.03.jpg

Screenshot 2014-07-02 23.16.48.jpg

Screenshot 2014-07-02 23.16.47.jpg

• Like 1

Paul

Now, to terms:

The Site: The entire site. On the Forums Index page (CLICK HERE), you can scroll down and see categories, and lists of forums under those categories. You may click on any given category and bookmark it, if you find you are interested in most of the forums under that category. Alternatively, you may bookmark individual forums as well.

Threads or Topics: To start a new topic, click on a given forum for your topic. Click "Start New Topic", located at the top right side of the forum.

Posts: Posts are made any time you open a text editor box, whether starting a new topic or replying to an existing topic on the site. Posts made by members may be edited for errors only for a given time. ALL posts on this site will lock, and no longer be able to be edited, after a given length of time. 

Pinned (Sticky) Topics: These are topics that stay at the top of a forum, regardless of time. Topics that are pinned are ones we find that are exceptionally useful to members, and guests of the forum. This makes it easier to find these topics, and without them having to use the search feature to do so. Typical threads that are NOT pinned, will slowly move down the list of topics within a forum, as newer topics are posted. All topics and posts within a topic are listed in chronological order on the site, by default.

Hot Topics: These are topics with more than 15 replies to them. That means they are "hot" or popular topics, which are drawing more interest than other topics.

Friend: An option where you can request, or add another member to be on your "friend" list, making it easier for you to contact them and share information. Other features are interactive with this feature. For example, in your photo gallery, you may create an album that is only available for those on your friend list to view. 

Tag: This is a system making it easier to search for threads, and which causes other threads (with similar tags, thus similar topics) to be shown at the bottom of a given thread. Tags may ONLY be used when creating the original post in a thread. No other posts can have tags added to them.

Follow: The follow feature allows you to be notified of replies in a thread, even if you have not posted in that thread. It may just be of interest to you to keep track of it. So, you would click the "Follow" option at the top right side of the topic. The Follow feature works hand in hand with the Notifications (CLICK HERE) feature. You can change these settings, as necessary, depending on how you wish to be notified of various actions on the site. Experiment with notifications, if you wish, to see which is best for you.

Barefooter

what kind of device are you using to access this forum?

Chrome browser on a laptop.

Paul

Chrome browser on a laptop.

Okay. So, you will have no issues viewing anything on this site. That's all I wanted to make sure of. 

Please look over what I have posted thus far, and ask any further questions you wish regarding terms, operational issues, etc. I will be happy to answer any and all for you.

Barefooter

Paul, these last few posts of yours were very helpful for me.  I hope for other newbies as well.  I really appreciate your time and thoroughness . . . as well as your simply making me feel comfortable and easy in asking my questions.  Thank you.

Paul

Paul, these last few posts of yours were very helpful for me.  I hope for other newbies as well.  I really appreciate your time and thoroughness . . . as well as your simply making me feel comfortable and easy in asking my questions.  Thank you.

Well, the forum won't do you much good if you do not understand the workings of it. Best case would be that you could search and read, but that would be about it. So, it helps you, helps the forum, and even helps me, if you are voiced in how to use the software. Happy to do it either way, though. 

Once in a while, make sure you clear your browser cache and even your cookies. This will cause you to have to log back in manually. But, you will find it will sort certain issues you may have with the site in the future. 

Barefooter

Paul, I've seen what appear to be realtime running tabs at the bottom of pages or at the end of threads that indicate number and vague types of users online.  It indicates, in addition to "members," "guests" and "anonymous."  I don't see those last two types explained in the "Members User Groups Explained" listing.  Can you tell me who those people are, in general?  You might want to add those explanations to the list since you're displaying a tally pretty predominately . . .

Paul

Members are anyone from any group of registered members on the site.

Guests are anyone who are not logged in to the site.

Anonymous members are ones who choose to "hide" the fact that they are logged in and browsing online. 

Barefooter

Guests are anyone who are not logged in to the site.

I'm sorry, but how can guests not be logged in but recorded as browsing the forum?

Paul

I'm sorry, but how can guests not be logged in but recorded as browsing the forum?

You are logged by every site you visit, whether logged in to it or not, typically. That's one reason why browsers have "anonymous" functions nowadays. 

The server this site is on, tracks every visitor, including their IP address, country of origin, etc. 

In the case of this forum software, anyone who isn't logged in is in the "Guest" user group.