"Requirements" what makes the Philippines go round..................

mexiwi

So the Boss is keeping herself amused while we wait for her fiancee visa to get approved.

She was working at a restaurant but the owner closed it last week so she's got a job at the mall as a cashier.

The restaurant guy was pretty casual, just paid cash, no benefits - didn't worry my fiancee as she isn't really doing it for the money.

But the new joint - all official.

So comes the list of requirements.......

I can understand the main ones

Philhealth Number

SS number and ID

BIR Tax number for (in triplicate, with birth certificates)

Then

2 more copies of birth certificate (that makes 5)

NBI Clearance (already had for Visa)

Medical exam

Health and Mayors certificate (Cedula) - this is a good one blood, urine and poo tests (cue some poo jokes from me, luckily my fiancee tolerates my poo jokes quite well)

Then

Her school records - WTF - why do they need that?

Then

Employment certificate from previous employer - this is a problem, he is pretty slack (whch is why his restaurant went bust) and wont give her , one, the mall say she can't start until she get it. At this stage I'm temped just to write one for her using the restaurant's logo off their facebook page.

Of course there is also the obligatory 2 2x1 photos, 2 2x2 photos, and she has to draw a map from her house to the mall.

Buggered if I know how people without rich 'Kano fiance get jobs, how do they get the couple thousand peso to get all these bullshit requirements?

She asked me the other day if she needed to get her baptismal record because they said at CFO that she would need it to get a job in Australia. I said no babe, your passport and Aussie Tax File number will be all you need when you start work.

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man

Her school records - WTF - why do they need that?

My guess is to help out their buddies in Education.  If she did not pay any school fees anywhere, anytime, then she ain't gonna get those records until she pays.  By requiring those school records they help keep the blackmail system alive. . . . But she should be responsible to pay, you say?  What if she uses the records to go to College and then drops out because she cannot afford to finish . .  oops no job . . . screwed.

maximian

By requiring those school records they help keep the blackmail system alive.

You don't have to blackmail anybody to get school records.

USMC-Retired

No just pay your fees... Its not blackmail it is the way the system works. Useless steps and paper to keep the system alive. There is no reason also it is about desire if you can jump througha million hoops you will be a good employee.

A_Simple_Man
You don't have to blackmail anybody to get school records.

Help me out then Bro.  My gf needs her school records but dropped out of college and did not finish paying her college fees.  They are holding her school records until she pays.  How can she get them without paying the 8,000 pesos they want?

No just pay your fees... Its not blackmail

OK, since blackmail is demanding money from a person in return for not revealing information then I guess its whitemail, demanding money from a person in return for revealing information about them (high school records).  Anyway, you say tomato, I say tomahto, 

Edited by A_Simple_Man
That Masked Man

None of this seems terribly unusual to me except maybe the employment certificate from previous employer. I'm used to the American system of the prospective employer just calling the previous employer. Of course they want a list of everyplace you have ever worked in your life and ever place you have ever lived so they can do a background check along with the drug screen. 2 years ago I had a place demand my college transcripts even though the job had nothing to do with what I went to college for and I graduated over 20 years ago. Thank God my university has those online or I might never have gotten them. The only difference I see between the Philippines system and that in the US is in the Philippines apparently the applicant has to do the legwork.of getting the background check and the previous employer info, rather than it being done by HR. I guess i should not be surprised. They probably learned it from the US.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

What the hell is a map to her house used for?

None of this seems terribly unusual to me except maybe the employment certificate from previous employer. I'm used to the American system of the prospective employer just calling the previous employer. Of course they want a list of everyplace you have ever worked in your life and ever place you have ever lived so they can do a background check along with the drug screen. 2 years ago I had a place demand my college transcripts even though the job had nothing to do with what I went to college for and I graduated over 20 years ago. Thank God my university has those online or I might never have gotten them. The only difference I see between the Philippines system and that in the US is in the Philippines apparently the applicant has to do the legwork.of getting the background check and the previous employer info, rather than it being done by HR. I guess i should not be surprised. They probably learned it from the US.

Ever had to drop a #2 in a cup for a job in the US? That seems like a common requirement in the Philippines.

That Masked Man

Ever had to drop a #2 in a cup for a job in the US? That seems like a common requirement in the Philippines.

No. OTOH it does not surprise me that they do. I'm assuming it is NOT a drug test but more checking for disease.

Headshot

Help me out then Bro.  My gf needs her school records but dropped out of college and did not finish paying her college fees.  They are holding her school records until she pays.  How can she get them without paying the 8,000 pesos they want?

OK, since blackmail is demanding money from a person in return for not revealing information then I guess its whitemail, demanding money from a person in return for revealing information about them (high school records).  Anyway, you say tomato, I say tomahto, 

All schools here will withhold grades until tuition and fees are paid in full. Most will not even let students take final exams until the student is paid in full. I have no idea how you figure that being required to pay for services used is the same as blackmail. If schools would allow students to take exams and get official records without first clearing their account, then NOBODY here would ever pay for anything. If you drop out of school during a semester, you still have to pay for the whole semester. You signed up and they provided the resources you needed, but you chose to leave school (regardless of the reason). They provided the resources you requested, so it is still your responsibility to pay even if you don't complete the course.

• Like 3
Chris24

Employment certificate from previous employer - this is a problem, he is pretty slack (whch is why his restaurant went bust) and wont give her , one, the mall say she can't start until she get it. At this stage I'm temped just to write one for her using the restaurant's logo off their facebook page

Good plan, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Bureaucrats just need to check off the box, no need to break more of a sweat than is needed helping them to do that. 

woodchopper

the map could be for if,,NO CR at the new job,,thereby necessitating "fast trips" back home?

mexiwi

Good plan, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Bureaucrats just need to check off the box, no need to break more of a sweat than is needed helping them to do that. 

Yeah - might do it later this week, but the guy said he would have it for her by the end of the week, she starts tomorrow, they are happy now to wait for her Certificate and TOR.

She was getting her TOR anyway in case she decides to do more study in Australia, so she can have her previous experience and course assessed for exemptions.