Vet May Lose Home Over Flag in Flower Pot

Baywak

This is exactly how shallow too many americans have become.If he put the flag next to the flower pot it would be ok,but in it is NOT.My wife has 4 huge flower pots on and near our front porch with beautiful flowers in the pots and all four have the exact small american flags in each pot.There is no way they'd get us to remove them.

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KID

• lamoe

• cebubird

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He should put a rainbow flag up next to it.  I bet they wouldn't bother him, then. 

I say continue flying the flag. feck those anti-American pieces of shit who own the condominium building.    I cannot believe our country has turned into this, I really, truly cannot! What the feck

Why should he be denied these ?

Posted Images

Knowdafish

The HOA is all the people living in the Condo, Trailer Park, gated community, what have you. They make the rules so the guy with the flag helped make the rules. It's not just a select little comittee. See that quite often..."I'm a veteran, I can do that if I want"  Next he'll have an M60 A3 Main Battle Tank sitting out front. Maybe an ammo carrier and a bunker. No, remove the flag.

NoThe association is all members but the elected board of the association makes the rules.

• Like 2
Irenicus

Gotta have rules, man.  There's rules everywhere.  There's rules on this forum that everyone has to follow - it's part of joining the forum.  Refuse to follow them and there are consequences, no?

He sounds like the rancher out west who enjoyed making himself a (short-lived) victim and attracting all the right-wing nutjobs.

Some people get off on that sort of thing.

• Like 1
Mr. Mike

Gotta have rules, man.  There's rules everywhere.  There's rules on this forum that everyone has to follow - it's part of joining the forum.  Refuse to follow them and there are consequences, no?

He sounds like the rancher out west who enjoyed making himself a (short-lived) victim and attracting all the right-wing nutjobs.

Some people get off on that sort of thing.

No, he's just a vet who wants to be left alone and remembers a time when the US was not so petty.

I spent eight years as a HOA president (no one else wanted the job) and HOA rules are there for good reason, many are set by the  State.

If this had happened in our HOA, and someone complained I would take it up at the next monthly meeting and put it to a quick vote of all those present.

Paul

Members of the military forum: If you are military, regardless of your country of origin, regardless of your current status, you may discuss pretty much any topic you wish, that would benefit other military personnel of your country. If you would be so kind, please make sure political posts and threads are posted within those hidden forums.

• Like 2
lamoe

As many of you may know my views can sometimes be rather far right of Attila the Hun but on this issue I have to side with the HOA. " IF " they do indeed have a proscribed manner in which to display the flag.

I wrote our sub-divisions rules and had a majority of those who bothered to attend the meetings vote then in (5 out of 50 home owners). One issue was sheds and outbuilding - NFW - complaint was the present owners would maintain them - sure but future ones?  Also eliminated any judgment calls on anything.

He wants to put flag in pot ok what's next?

Want to have the flag there then follow the procedures and have HOA  laws changed according to those laws. Don't just make up your own.

No one should be allowed to do the wrong thing for the right reason.

• Like 1
mpt1947

In my humble opinion when displaying the flag always keep in mind the Flag Code - although not the law of the land, it has been a code I go by when displaying flags.

Questions -

Is any part of the flag inside or outside the flower pot touching dirt?

What condition is the Flag in?

At the end of the daylight, is the flag removed and brought inside?

OR is Light shone on the flag from the bottom looking up?

If it starts to rain, is the flag replaced with a Storm Flag or brought inside until the storm passes?

If these or other basic traditions in the display Of the Flag are followed, then as far as I am concerned it is an HOA issue.  

I am getting tired of reading stories about people disrespecting the flag and one reason they do so, is because they are Veterans and they think that they have the right to display their Flags in any manner they wish.  What we as Veterans have is the duty to display the Flag appropriately, or not at all.

• Like 4
contraman

What we as Veterans have is the duty to display the Flag appropriately, or not at all.

Well put 

He wants to put flag in pot ok what's next?

God forbid he should use TP that was not approved by the HOA

Really, how petty can a HOA get ???

FTD-B30-4433.jpg

• Like 1
lamoe

God forbid he should use TP that was not approved by the HOA

Really, how petty can a HOA get ???

FTD-B30-4433.jpg

Let's see - he lives in a community that has regulations but doesn't want to follow them so he just does what he wants and you're ok with that?

The flag in and of itself in not the issue as far as I'm concerned it's defying those regulations.

Petty? Perhaps, but as I said what next?

Wife's condo has rule about no statues over 2 ft high and can not be visible from street. Petty? yes at first glance BUT

Why? To stop another idiot from putting in a life size anatomically correct flesh color one again.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

the slippery slope argument can go both ways

he wants a flag what's next

they want no flag what's next

• Like 1
SkyMan

Mike, the rules on lowering the flag at night or in the rain don't apply to the little grave flags discussed here. Imagine the amount of running around required at our federal cemeteries on Memorial Day, etc.

• Like 1
mpt1947

Mike, the rules on lowering the flag at night or in the rain don't apply to the little grave flags discussed here. Imagine the amount of running around required at our federal cemeteries on Memorial Day, etc.

You are absolutely correct, and I thought about that - Federal Cemeteries I believe are exempt from some of these regulations.  Has this Vet had his flower pot designated as a Veteran's Cemetery? Of course not - but that in my opinion is not the point here - this man believes that because he is a Veteran, he should have privileges that others don't.  

This man is using the Flag to make his point that he is special - my point is - find something else.

• Like 1
cebubird

I read some of these comments and I, like Paul, and some others, say what in the hell has happened to plain old common sense in the US?

We're talking about a SMALL flag stuck in a flower pot on the man's front porch for petes sake!!!!!

ON HIS SMALL LITTLE PORCH!!!!!

I would hate like heck to have to live next door to some of you people.

• Like 2

I read some of these comments and I, like Paul, and some others, say what in the hell has happened to plain old common sense in the US?

We're talking about a SMALL flag stuck in a flower pot on the man's front porch for petes sake!!!!!

ON HIS SMALL LITTLE PORCH!!!!!

I would hate like heck to have to live next door to some of you people.

I wrote our sub-divisions rules and had a majority of those who bothered to attend the meetings vote then in (5 out of 50 home owners).

Americans are too busy working trying to pay the mortgage to pay attention whats going on thus allowing the few to control the many 

Edited by KID