Vet May Lose Home Over Flag in Flower Pot

cebubird

A Viet Nam vet in Jacksonville is facing $8000. in fines/levies and possible eviction from his condo because he refuses to remove a small flag from a flowerpot on the porch of his condo. Saw a brief clip on this and have asked Cardiackid to shed light on this from his perspective there in J-ville.

From the clip I saw the vet had it displayed for a long time and the HOA rewrote their rules to say that ONLY flowers could be placed in flowerpots. We're talking small pot-small flag.  Amazing.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KID

• cebubird

• lamoe

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He should put a rainbow flag up next to it.  I bet they wouldn't bother him, then. 

I say continue flying the flag. feck those anti-American pieces of shit who own the condominium building.    I cannot believe our country has turned into this, I really, truly cannot! What the feck

Why should he be denied these ?

Posted Images

Paul

I say continue flying the flag. feck those anti-American pieces of shit who own the condominium building. 

I cannot believe our country has turned into this, I really, truly cannot! What the feck is wrong with you people living stateside? Have you lost your collective minds?

ATTN STAFF: Make note that this is in the Military Forum, please, and is not to be moved.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 5
cebubird

The reporter asked the guy if there were any vets on the HOA board, and he said if there was the person must have served for another country.

MY comments to what you said, Paul-I could probably understand if this happened in some liberal bastion, but J-ville, for God's sake is a conservative military town with NAS and the Mayport Base, and literally thousands of veterans living there.

Boggles the mind.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i say he should look through the hoa rules for a strict definition of what a flowerpot is and then say it's not a flower pot it is a flag pot

• Like 4
Dragonladies.org

He should put a rainbow flag up next to it.  I bet they wouldn't bother him, then. 

• Like 9
JSL-USMC

The HOA is all the people living in the Condo, Trailer Park, gated community, what have you. They make the rules so the guy with the flag helped make the rules. It's not just a select little comittee. See that quite often..."I'm a veteran, I can do that if I want"  Next he'll have an M60 A3 Main Battle Tank sitting out front. Maybe an ammo carrier and a bunker. No, remove the flag.

• Like 1
Headshot

Gentlemen, I have just banned a member from the topic and deleted his post for trying to turn this into a political issue. Please do not do that. This is a stupid HOA president. There are a lot of those out there. This has absolutely nothing to do with any politician at the federal level. If anybody tries to take it there again. you won't like the results.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
From the clip I saw the vet had it displayed for a long time and the HOA rewrote their rules to say that ONLY flowers could be placed in flowerpots. We're talking small pot-small flag. Amazing.

How about posting the WHOLE story or even a link instead of cherry picking a couple of sentences ?

CB--- I read this article and you and I both know that there is more to the story

1--- the HOA changed the rules so that people could display a flag-- if done so properly from a flag pole

2--- a Florida law prevents a HOA from accumulating more than $1000 worth of fines

Edited by KID
  • Like 2
Sonny

Next he'll have an M60 A3 Main Battle Tank sitting out front. Maybe an ammo carrier and a bunker.

Why should he be denied these ?

• Like 4
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

would be cool

i'd love to live in a neighborhood of tank owners

• Like 2
Headshot

How about posting the WHOLE story or even a link instead of cherry picking a couple of sentences ?

CB--- I read this article and you and I both know that there is more to the story

1--- the HOA changed the rules so that people could display a flag-- if done so properly from a flag pole

2--- a Florida law prevents a HOA from accumulating more than $1000 worth of fines

You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?

Florida vet says 'Bring it on,' as he faces eviction over flower pot flag

A Florida veteran who is facing foreclosure for insisting on displaying a small American flag in a flower pot on his front stoop is telling his homeowner's association to "bring it on."

“The flag is worth fighting for,” 73-year-old Larry Murphree, of Jacksonville, told FoxNews.com Friday. “If they want to foreclose, bring it on. I’m getting calls from all over the county to stand up. That’s what I'm going to do.”

Murphree's homeowners association at Tides Condominium at Sweetwater began hitting him with fines of $100 a day last year for violating his homeowners association’s flag display rules. But instead of paying the fines, Murphree let them pile up - and kept his flag on display. Now he owes more than $8,000, and neither side will budge.

"It’s a small flag but it stands for a big thank you and it shows the love and respect I have for my country.”

- Larry Murphree

“I just kind of dug in my heels," he said. "It’s worth fighting for. It’s a small flag but it stands for a big thank you and it shows the love and respect I have for my country.”

On Wednesday, Murphree told Fox News Channel's Fox & Friends that his fight for the flag is with the board that runs the association.

“I would think if anybody on that board told me they served in the military, I’d have to ask them which side,“ Murphree, who served six years as an Air Force air traffic controller during the Vietnam War, said on theshow.

The fight started in 2011 and landed in court a year later where the two sides reached a settlement in which Murphree agreed to display his flag in compliance with association rules. But two weeks later, the board changed the rules, saying flags could only be displayed on a pole outside the garage and that flower pots were only for flowers.

Murphree ignored the new rules and, in 2013, the fines started. He took the board to court again, this time to federal court where he claimed he had a right to fly his flag under the 2005 Freedom to Display the American Flag Act. But last March a judge dismissed the case on technical grounds. The judge said Murphree could also take his claimsto state court.

Now the board is claiming Murphree owes $8,000 and has attached a foreclosure lien for nonpayment. If the retiree doesn’t pay up the board could start a foreclosure action to take his home.

"I'm not going to back down," Murphree told FoxNews.com.

The board said in a statement Thursday that it “has not prohibited any owner from properly displaying an American flag.”

“The Tides agrees with Mr. Murphree about demonstrating patriotism by flying the American flag,” the statement said. “We have established rules that conform with U.S. code and Florida statutes regarding flag etiquette, and we encourage residents to fly American flags in accordance with the state and national standards.”

Michelle Haines, the board’s attorney, said under Florida law the homeowner's association can fine a condo owner $100 a day, but the maximum amount is $1,000. She said the board is foreclosing on Murphree for being delinquent on his monthly assessment.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/27/florida-vet-says-bring-it-on-as-faces-eviction-over-flower-pot-flag/

• Like 1
Baywak

The reporter asked the guy if there were any vets on the HOA board, and he said if there was the person must have served for another country.

MY comments to what you said, Paul-I could probably understand if this happened in some liberal bastion, but J-ville, for God's sake is a conservative military town with NAS and the Mayport Base, and literally thousands of veterans living there.

Boggles the mind.

That's exactly the problem-it is a so called conservative(there are very few real conservatives left out there,so I will call it republican) town.Come on up to where we are in very rural upstate New York where it is majority republican,if you want to see why we are losing our rights and country come here and experience the intense anti social screw your neighbor,schools that can't get any worse(and I am not talking about the ABC's and 1,2,3,'s)they are profiling parents,teaching the kids how to go against there parents,it would take me about a 3 foot long comment here to explain the insanity.These people will fly the flag and tell you how they are christians and be the first ones to violate your rights and put the hate screws to you.

Edited by Baywak
NOSOCALPINOY

The HOA board is violating the vet's "freedom of expression", which falls under the U.S. 1st amendment! JMHO

• Like 2
SkyMan

This is one of the very few times the ACLU might actually be useful but I bet they do nothing.