Sign in to follow this  
mistaeric

Long term care in Cebu City?

mistaeric

How will you guys handle dementia, Alzheimer's, are just plain old age when you no longer can deal with day to day living by yourselves?

batman2525

I asked my chick if and when she will be putting her ageing(80s) parents into a home and she told me that they don't do that in the Phils....they just live in the house and the family look after them until they die....which made me think that perhaps coming up with a retirement home for the old would be a good idea.

Mariel

How will you guys handle dementia, Alzheimer's, are just plain old age when you no longer can deal with day to day living by yourselves?

This is a very good question and I wonder how many of you expats actually think of this as a possibility? I once had a Filipina patient who had Alzheimer's. Her daughter had the foresight to send her back to the Philippines rather than put her in a nursing home.

I would think if an expat or former OFW/overseas Filipino would need care as in dementia or even just by being frail, it is actually cheaper to hire a caregiver or private nurse in the Philippines rather than enter a regimented and depressing Nursing home environment.

As long as the patient don't develop other serious medical conditions it might be OK. Even uncomplicated and well controlled diabetes or lung disease (think Emphysema, COAP) can be managed well in the Philippines. I guess the trick will be to find someone competent enough to actually know what they're doing?

• Like 1

Enuff

yes, its not allowed is the response I get. my wife had to move in with her grandmother her 3rd year high school. she was the one to take good care of her.

if your asking about getting old alone and not being able to care for yourself my suggestion is to find a nice woman now. IMHO I would be searching for someone a bit older with patience and a good heart. seems like the younger girls would let you sit around all day in a diaper where and older woman would have more pride and respect to allow it to happen. most Filipinas care more about what others think of them then they care about themselves.

D_D

...which made me think that perhaps coming up with a retirement home for the old would be a good idea.

I have experience with caring for my elderly Father who suffers from advanced dementia, the care is almost 24/7. So you will have to make sure you have the right help. So the expense for the tenants will be on the expensive side. 

It would help if you were accredited by their disability insurance and/or the VA ( Veteran Affairs ).

Mariel

The danger with dementias are when the sufferer start to wander off or start to become unsafe (make sure he/she don't have access to matches or lighters). In this case then 24 hour care is important and perhaps a more secure (locked) yard or home. Also carer burn out is high, hence the main reason for Nursing home placement is carer burn out. These things need to be considered if one is planning to stay in the Philippines for the rest of one's natural life.

oscarpears

It is a tricky question, we all hope that someone would love us enough to take care of us.
But the question is not unique to people who live in, or are planning on retiring in Cebu.

It is not  pleasant to have dementia in the West either, especially if you have nobody to care for you and you are dumped in a "home" dying of thirst and neglect.  

A good wife/husband and a couple of Filipina/o carers who actually care may indeed be a more preferable scenario.

• Like 1

bmoore

Meeting this need could be a great opportunity for the Philippines.  Many of the long term care workers in the U.S. are Filipino,

NOSOCALPINOY

And........hiring trustworthy Filipino caregivers or nurses would probably be way cheaper per month here in the Philippines! Why get dumped in a nursing/convalescent home in the U.S. and dye of thirst and or neglect?  

• Like 1

fivestarph

An interesting thread.

@D_D, can you advise what approximately is the cost of 24/7 care. I assume one would need three nurses to allow time off etc.

tks

BlueFin

I'm pro-euthanasia (also pro-death penalty).

Is life worth living when you don't who that is in the mirror? Or even understand what a mirror is?

My grandfather when all the way to the depths of Alzheimers and my mother is now well on her way.

I can tell you now that shit ain't for me - I'll check myself out one way or the other while I still have my own mind.

Edit: My fathers side has no sign of Alzheimers so far, I'm hoping I got those gene's and not from mother's side :-)

Edited by BlueFin
  • Like 6

smokey

It is a tricky question, we all hope that someone would love us enough to take care of us.

But the question is not unique to people who live in, or are planning on retiring in Cebu.

It is not  pleasant to have dementia in the West either, especially if you have nobody to care for you and you are dumped in a "home" dying of thirst and neglect.  

A good wife/husband and a couple of Filipina/o carers who actually care may indeed be a more preferable scenario.

so you assume being in a nursing home means dying of thirst and neglect and being with family means happy life.. My wife worked in a nursing home or care home a few years and she said not all family are created equal...  her worst was a guy in his late 80sss had some property in California .. had two children one had his own life and did not want to be involved other was between wives and took over... First  the son  sold the property to pay for the care home .. then he got arrested for drugs and sentenced to 3 years. ,, let his  GF have power of attorney over the dad ... She picked up a new Porsche lots of cosmetic surgery  stopped paying for the care home and the old man was forced to downgrade to a care home warehouse... All concerned are Filipino 

• Like 1

garg

Here's what you're looking for. Not in the Philippines however.

http://www.careresortchiangmai.com/

From what I remember, 24 hour care with patient having own dedicated caregiver is about 35K.

Edited by garg

NOSOCALPINOY

Here's what you're looking for. Not in the Philippines however.

http://www.careresortchiangmai.com/

From what I remember, 24 hour care with patient having own dedicated caregiver is about 35K.

35K in dollars or pesos a month? Still, worth looking into depending on their immigration laws in Thailand for long term!

35K in pesos a month here in the Philippines, that would be an over the top salary for just one caregiver in one's own home!     

NOSOCALPINOY

garg, on 29 Jun 2014 - 11:24 AM, said: Here's what you're looking for. Not in the Philippines however.   http://www.careresortchiangmai.com/   From what I remember, 24 hour care with patient having own dedicated caregiver is about 35K.

35K in dollars or pesos a month? Still, worth looking into depending on their immigration laws in Thailand for long term! 35K in pesos a month here in the Philippines, that would be an over the top salary for just one caregiver in one's own home!     

Edit the $35K a month to read per year, but I'm sure it would have been understood that way. $35K a year would still be a bargain and or probably could be slightly more than that per year! The website doesn't mention the costs of any of their plans.