Sign in to follow this  
Kreole

Stinging tiny marine organisms in the Philippines

Kreole

I couldn't find any other forum to post this.  I have been living on Siquijor island for the past several years and go swimming daily, when the weather and tide permits.  Often I get stung multiple times by an organism that I cannot see.  I used to think that it was the broken off tentacles of jellyfish.  However, a local person said that it was actually a tiny organism in the water.  Since I experience it all through the year, I don't think it is associated with water temperature, which is usually pretty warm here on the Larena side of the island.  It is a pretty irritating sting, but it doesn't last long, and there is no physical evidence of sting marks.  Can anyone tell me what it is that is stinging me?  Thanks ahead.

Skywalker

Almost certainly what you suggested.  Jellyfish threads.  

My butler is sensitive to this as well, although for some reason it doesn't bother my thick skin.

hyaku

You should cover up. Even old clothes are OK. You will rarely see a member of the diving community not covered. Mostly dive tourists wear shorties.

I even wear a dive hood. I guess the locals think I'm crazy. Then again no injuries as yet.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1

Skywalker

post-12091-0-99801100-1403937096_thumb.jpg

Paul

Yep, baby jellyfish type creatures, I guess they are. 

Their stings just itch for a while until you put something on them, after getting out of the water. 

jigsy

I swim in open water a lot and we generally refer to these things as sea lice. I feel the sting and although not too painful, I will itch for days after, although your reaction will depend on how allergic you are.

Majorsco

Here in Dapitan we have similar effect.  People swim in the surf and either feel a sting or an itchy/irritation feeling while swiming.  There are other cases where jellyfish tentacles are confirmed because they're seen.  It does seem to have a season, as some times of year it doesn't happen while other months it does.

Kreole

Thanks for your input.  There is no itching associated with the stings, and there is no marks or spots where the sting is located on my skin.  At times it seems like a tentacle because the sting feels like a whip mark.  Since I am swimming, I can't always stop and examine it.  But, when I am in shallow water, I look for marks but can't find any.  I tend to rub the area and it seems to make the sting go away faster.  The sensation lasts about 1 to 5 minutes and then completely disappears.  It is just very annoying at worst,  because nobody likes getting peppered with stings.  There are days when I only get one or two and other days when I will get a dozen or more.  

Irenicus

I have been living on Siquijor island for the past several years and go swimming daily, when the weather and tide permits.

I am across the way in Dumaguete.  We go down to Dauin a lot and often get hit by em.  Usually there are no marks, but my gal got hit hard across the wrist and it left a nice string of welts.  Just so long as they are not box or man'o'wars, I am OK with it.  I wear a suit top when I go on extended snorkeling forrays.  

BayMan

Hi Kreole , over here in our northern tropical waters we have some rather nasty jellyfish like the box jelly ( Chironex fleckeri ) and the smaller but sometimes lethal Irukandji , a piece of swimwear called the stinger suit was developed ( just google the term for images and websites ) basically a very lightweight lycra number in various sizes from kids to adult in various colours and styles . 

It doesn't take much to provide a barrier to most marine stingers , maybe a stinger suit might be worthwhile if you swim / dive a fair bit ?