Home made cream cheese.

KennyF

I've been making yoghurt here in the RP for years. Not only is it way cheaper, but I always have a fresh supply on hand.
But now to the cream cheese.
Make a liter batch of yoghurt with UTH pure 100% milk (avoiding the man made milks on the shelf here)
My suggestion is Alaska 100% Aussie cows milk, fat min 3.2, milk solids min 8.5
Dissolve a teaspoon (more or less) of salt in a small amount of water and add it to the milk .

Normal yoghurt is ready in 7 to 8 hours but for cream cheese we want more tartness so leave it at least 12 hours or even more.

When ready, pour the yoghurt into a square of cotton, like a diaper (new of course) or cotton sheeting and hang it for a few hours to let most of the whey drain off.

There's your cream cheese. Delicious stuff.
Bung it in the fridge and it should keep well

Significant other and 3 year old think it's great on Fita crackers.

KonC

• Like 5

Isn't that technically greek yogurt? Doesn't "real" creme cheese use a different starter/culture than yogurt?

KennyF

Isn't that technically greek yogurt? Doesn't "real" creme cheese use a different starter/culture than yogurt?

Greek yoghurt should be made using L. Bulgaricus bacteria.

And yes, your home made cream cheese would be close to the consistency of Greek yoghurt, but quite thicker.

Also, cream cheese is started with a different culture, the whey being separated using rennet.

See what you can find out and post a method here on LinC.

KonC.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Kenny, what did you use for your starter culture here? I have no experience with yogurt making but would like to try and as you alluded to,  yogurt prices here are crazy. 

I have experience with some other cultures, mainly Finnish yogurt, viili. Which, I actually prefer over yogurt and really miss - wish I could get another starter culture for that. 

KennyF

Kenny, what did you use for your starter culture here?

Nestle Creamy yogurt.

L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus

KonC

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Nestle Creamy yogurt.

L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus

KonC

Thanks. Im going to give it a try when I get back next week.

I use greek yogurt pretty often as it is closer in consistency and taste to the sour cream Im used to than the stuff available here. The only negative to the greek yogurt is its cost here. Like 600 plus for a big tub - ouch.

Edited by Monsoon
RogerDat

Greetings! This appears to require info for first step, which is make yogurt, if so, can you post that info? Thanks.

• Like 1
spritsail

If you add lemon juice, vinigar etc o the yoghurt mixture will you get ricotta cheese? Finally got the yoghurt to perfection, great for korma curry but would like to have a go at the cheese, although not sure what I would do with it - cheesecake???

KennyF
cheesecake???

Give it a try Dave, I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

As it is, I use the cream cheese under the likes of fried eggs on toast and with bagoong on fita crackers.

Let's face it, there's not much here to eat as a spread if you don't like sweet stuff.

KonC

Edited by KennyF
USCebuana

Are there bagels for sale in the supermartkets? Do they have "real bread"? 

Has anybody tried coco butter (not the lotion)?

RogerDat

Greetings! Coco butter is very sweet, I like it. French Baker has  bagels, and real bread, but still no idea how to make yogurt.

I got spell check now, but No back button!

Greetings! This appears to require info for first step, which is make yogurt, if so, can you post that info? Thanks.

but still no idea how to make yogurt.

Buy a small container of plain yogurt with active culture to use as your starter.

Heat milk to 185F/85C

Let the milk cool to 110F/43C

Add a few tablespoons of the yogurt and stir.

Keep it warm for about 8 hours and you will have yogurt.

I line a colander with coffee filters to strain mine afterwards for thicker Greek style yogurt.

I also freeze some of the new yogurt right away to use as starter for the next batch.

To keep mine warm, I preheat my crockpot/slowcooker, turn it off, add the warm milk, then close it and wrap it in a thick towel. It is always still over 90F after 8+ hours. Some use a heating pad, some use a large thermos.

Edited by T.S.
KennyF

For what it's worth, heating milk to 185F/85C is only needed with fresh milk, not UHT (Ultra-high temperature) that we get here in RP.

Plain yogurt.

First, find an insulated container that will hold a little over one liter.

Buy the best milk you can.

Alaska Fresh is 100% pure NZ milk from NZ (not reconstituted powder as most are)

Avoid the "manufactured" milk products. These are made from skim milk powder, glucose syrup, vegetable oils,sugar, lecithin etc etc etc.

Heat your milk carefully to 40~43 Celsius (I use an electronic thermometer I bought from the Generic Pharmacy for 200 or so)

For thicker yogurt stir in 90 gm (half a pack) of Anlene powdered milk which not only thickens but adds a heap of vitamins and minerals.

Add a few tablespoons of Nestle Creamy yogurt or similar. Even Yacult works after a fashion.(it MUST be alive)

Pour into the above mentioned insulated pot.

Leave for 8 hours (mild) to 12 hours (tart).

Decant into containers and bung into the refrigerator.

Now to cream cheese.

As for yogurt plus....

Add the whole 180gm pack of Anlene.

Leave to work in the insulated pot 20 to 24 hours.

If it has started to separate into curds and whey, pour off the whey.

Dissolve a heaped teaspoon of salt in a small amount of water and stir it into the finished yogurt.

Pour the yogurt into a filter and let it drain over night (at least).

I use new Birds Eye diapers that I bought on Lazada.

The end result should be a really tasty cream cheese that your SO and kids will probable like as much as you.

KonC

Edited by KennyF
  • Like 1