Military ID and DEERS Enrolment in Manila

Majorsco

Can you get an id done in Singapore at the Navy element?

That's an interesting idea.  Of course, the Singapore deployment is just a long term deployment, not a permanent base.  However it would be interesting to see if it could be obtained there.  Same thing with the Marine deployment in northern Australia.

Jason S

If I am not mistaken the Navy Base in Singapore is called "The Navy Place" or something along those lines. I think it is done that way on purpose so the Singapore Government can say there are no U.S. Military Bases in Singapore.

Majorsco

If I am not mistaken the Navy Base in Singapore is called "The Navy Place" or something along those lines. I think it is done that way on purpose so the Singapore Government can say there are no U.S. Military Bases in Singapore.

Something like that.  We've had Naval logistical facilities and some port space for a long time.  It is not called a naval base by US or Singapore for different but compatible reasons.   Singapore doesn't want to have US Military bases on its soil, and the US doesn't want to be seen as establishing new foreign bases (both for foreign as well as domestic politics).  Only a few ships are based there now.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Yes, you can. We just went there in April to get my wife's renewed. Took all of about 10 minutes after the machine was warmed up. Nice small Navel Exchange in the same building too. Tiger Air has cheap flights from Cebu to Singapore, about 3 hours travel. Make sure you have that Deptford road address with you. Taxi drivers and most other people don't know there's Navy people there.

Did you have any problem getting a taxi back out of there after you got your wife's ID renewed?

Is the area secured like a base or does it have open access?

Headshot

Yes, you can. We just went there in April to get my wife's renewed. Took all of about 10 minutes after the machine was warmed up. Nice small Navel Exchange in the same building too. Tiger Air has cheap flights from Cebu to Singapore, about 3 hours travel. Make sure you have that Deptford road address with you. Taxi drivers and most other people don't know there's Navy people there.

That's great Ron. What documentation did you need for the renewal? If my other options don't pan out, then Singapore would be my next destination.

SmokyMtnRon

Did you have any problem getting a taxi back out of there after you got your wife's ID renewed?

Is the area secured like a base or does it have open access?

Taxi from hotel to base, no problem. Coming back was a little bit of a wait as no unauthorized vehicles are allowed through the checkpoint. So you have to walk through the checkpoint and wait at a little taxi stand they have there. This is not really a base. It appeared to be an area leased or whatever in their secured shipyard repair area. Very secured! The walk from where the taxi lets you off at the checkpoint to the ID building is about 100 yards, give or take. You will have to leave 1 ID at the checkpoint for anyone who has a expired military ID.

That's great Ron. What documentation did you need for the renewal? If my other options don't pan out, then Singapore would be my next destination.

Make sure you bring a minimum of 3 ID's if your military ID's are current, and 4 if your wife's card is expired. If card is expired you will need to leave 1 ID at the checkpoint going in, military ID and 2 other unexpired ID's to show for the renewal. We used passport and drivers license for the extra 2.

Hope this helps,

Ron

I'll try to put a link on here for google maps showing the location of the Id building and relation to the rest of Singapore.

Edited by SmokyMtnRon
  • Like 1
Majorsco

Make sure you bring a minimum of 3 ID's if your military ID's are current, and 4 if your wife's card is expired. If card is expired you will need to leave 1 ID at the checkpoint going in, military ID and 2 other unexpired ID's to show for the renewal. We used passport and drivers license for the extra 2.

Is this normal for an overseas facility to need so many IDs?  CONUS facilities don't need so many. I got my wife's ID at Great Lakes Naval Base and I only needed one for each of us, my retired ID and her driver's license.

SmokyMtnRon

Is this normal for an overseas facility to need so many IDs?  CONUS facilities don't need so many. I got my wife's ID at Great Lakes Naval Base and I only needed one for each of us, my retired ID and her driver's license.

Not sure, but that's what they asked for. I got a new ID too because of turning 65 and they have to put medicare on it and I handed them my passport for verification and they said they still needed one more. Luckily I had my drivers license with me. I think this might be a overseas thing 'cause I seem to remember on the Thailand RAO site, the place where they get ID's had the same requirements.

NOSOCALPINOY

I just read this on another website and copied and pasted it to share on here, because it may be of some interest, because it  deals with DEERS enrollment and TRICARE, but I don't know when it goes into effect! Anyone know?   

Subject: TRICARE Benefits Changes by Email

Dear Beneficiary,

The Department of Defense is going green. We are replacing old fashioned snail mail with email! 

Instead of sending you hard copy letters, we will soon be sending emails directing you to milConnect at https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/. This is a secure Department of Defense website where you can check personal information and benefit changes, including TRICARE. We can post information quickly and securely in milConnect.

In milConnect, you can get TRICARE enrollment cards to print, check your Primary Care Manager, read eligibility change letters, and more. Log in to your milConnect account every so often to see what’s new.

DOD is looking to do away with all paper notifications. In some cases, we will send post cards directing you to milConnect or the TRICARE Web site at www.tricare.mil. You can update you or your family’s email addresses by logging in to milConnect. Click on the “MyProfile” menu item. If you don’t want to get email notices, you may “opt out” under the “MyProfile” menu. 

For more information on TRICARE letters, email notices, and more instructions, please go to www.tricare.mil/letters. 

We respect your privacy and won’t share or use your email address without permission should you choose to opt out. You are receiving this email because you provided it to the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS), likely upon issuance of your Uniformed Services Identification (ID) card.

Replacing paper mail with email means faster notification of important information as well as convenient access anytime, anywhere.

All of your future notifications of the correspondence types mentioned above will be sent from [email protected] Please add this email address to your contacts list to ensure it does not end up in your spam folder. 

Thank you!
  • 1 month later...
MIDNITERIDER

I just read this on another website and copied and pasted it to share on here, because it may be of some interest, because it  deals with DEERS enrollment and TRICARE, but I don't know when it goes into effect! Anyone know?   

Subject: TRICARE Benefits Changes by Email

Dear Beneficiary,

The Department of Defense is going green. We are replacing old fashioned snail mail with email! 

Instead of sending you hard copy letters, we will soon be sending emails directing you to milConnect at https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/. This is a secure Department of Defense website where you can check personal information and benefit changes, including TRICARE. We can post information quickly and securely in milConnect.

In milConnect, you can get TRICARE enrollment cards to print, check your Primary Care Manager, read eligibility change letters, and more. Log in to your milConnect account every so often to see what’s new.

DOD is looking to do away with all paper notifications. In some cases, we will send post cards directing you to milConnect or the TRICARE Web site at www.tricare.mil. You can update you or your family’s email addresses by logging in to milConnect. Click on the “MyProfile” menu item. If you don’t want to get email notices, you may “opt out” under the “MyProfile” menu. 

For more information on TRICARE letters, email notices, and more instructions, please go to www.tricare.mil/letters. 

We respect your privacy and won’t share or use your email address without permission should you choose to opt out. You are receiving this email because you provided it to the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS), likely upon issuance of your Uniformed Services Identification (ID) card.

Replacing paper mail with email means faster notification of important information as well as convenient access anytime, anywhere.

All of your future notifications of the correspondence types mentioned above will be sent from [email protected] Please add this email address to your contacts list to ensure it does not end up in your spam folder. 

Thank you!

Here is what I researched recently but don't ask me where I got it from or any questions I'm not an RAO or anything like that. Thank you everyone for confirming the ease of using Singapore. Just need deep pockets for the cab ride about $40-45 USD each way for the taxi from Changi airport when I transited through a couple times in the last year or so. There IS  a free shuttle on Sembawang: "Base Transportation

A free shuttle van operates Monday -Friday from 6:30 a.m.- 6:00 p.m. between building 7-4 terminal at PSA Sembawang and the housing community. Taxis are not permitted entrance to PSA Sembawang, but it is a short walk from the front gate to building 7-4 terminal and wharves. Shuttle bus stops are clearly marked and conveniently located through out the community."

http://www.militarybases.us/navy/sembawang-naval-base/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Navy-Region-Singapore/154587874605994

Philippine Residents [5/8/14]

Below are the latest instructions from JUSMAGPHIL for ID Card renewal. My understanding is all renewal applications can now be mailed to either address regardless of branch of service. Those having previously mailed applications to any of the addresses specified in Air Force Instruction 36-3026_IP should wait to see to see if their application will be processed.

I’ve written a letter to 18 FSS/FSMTS asking them to confirm if supporting documentation as listed in paragraph 3. of the below instructions are required for those already enrolled in DEERS. I will inform you of their answer once received.

All will be notified should there be additional changes.

Len Harvey

Director, RAO Baguio City

-o-o-O-o-o-

STEPS FOR PROCESSING MAIL IN ID CARD RENEWALS & DEERS UPDATES FOR ELIGIBLE MEMBERS RESIDING IN THE PHILIPPINES

The sponsor must complete and mail in the following to apply for ID Card Renewal or DEERS updates for themselves and their dependents:

1. Complete the DD Form 1172-2. This must be signed and notarized. A Philippine notary is acceptable as long as it is completed in English and all documents are in English.

2. Enclose an 8x10 or 5x7 portrait type photograph of the individual needing the ID Card. Only one person per photograph.

3. Sponsor must provide supporting documentation such as Marriage Certificates, Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, Divorce Decrees, etc. depending on the situation. All documents must be originals or certified true copies. For a complete list of items for each situation reference Air Force Instruction 36-3026_IP, paragraph 11.12 on page 107. For a list of acceptable forms of identification refer to Air Force Instruction 36-3026_IP attachments 5 and 20.

4. Mail completed application via certified mail to any one of the locations below:

-- Kadena AB, 18 FSS/FSMTS, Unit 5134, Box 50, APO AP 96368-5134

-- Torii Station, US Army Okinawa, Torii Station Bldg 216, Rm 116, APO AP 96368

*Note: Addresses for additional RAPIDS sites may be found at : http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl

DD Form 1172-2 may be downloaded by following this link: http://www.cac.mil/docs/dd1172-2.pdf or 1172-2.

Steps for completing the DD Form 1172-2 are available at: http://www.cac.mil/docs/1172-2-Instructions.pdf or 1172-2 Instructions http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/pdfs/1172-2-Instructions.pdf.

I am guessing though just guessing, the documents required in item 3 may only be necessary for first issue cards to new eligible, marriages, births.

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/Benefit_Library/Resource_Locator/Korea.html

http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site?execution=e2s3

https://www.hrc.army.mil/tagd/deers%20rapids%20cac%20support%20office%20frequently%20asked%20questions

What are the rules for issuance of 1173 in Puerto Rico, Guam for “others?”

Other than the required identity dependency documentation, the DD Form 1617 and 1172 are needed for DEERS.

Are notarized documents accepted as “certified” photocopies?

Notaries are not accepted with the exception of the VAP because all a notary does is verify signatures, not certify authenticity and that is what is required. Notarized is accepted as “certified” photocopies. In AFI Para 2.4.1 says “marriage certificates, divorce decrees, and birth certificates must be certified originals, court certified copies, or certified photocopies that reflect the file number”. Para 2.4.1.1 states If the VO views a social security card, letter from the Social Security Administration or other official document that states the number is a SSN when entering the family member. Attachment 5, note 7, line 5 it states “copies are permissible”.

How can Soldiers and Family Members access address and contact information in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)?

Service Members and eligible family members over 18 can access the My DoD Benefits web application using a CAC, Defense Finance Accounting Service (myPay) PIN, or DoD Self-Service (DS) logon. This allows minimal viewing and updating and contact information, family information, Change, or Add Civilian Employment Information (CEI) for Guard and Reserve members; view only health care and Service Member's Group Life Insurance eligibility, locate the nearest ID Card site, and find answers to frequently asked questions. Note: Beneficiaries can go to DOD Self-Service (DS) Access to request and manage their DS logon at https://myaccess.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/dsaccess/.

All foreign documents from non-Hague Convention countries require translation from an approved translation source and an Apostle from the U. S. Consulate office.

What are the procedures for Lost and Stolen ID Cards

According to the RAPIDS 7.4 User Guide, the SSM can authorize the issuance of an ID card when the customer’s identity documentation has been lost or stolen. RAPIDS allow alternate documentation to be scanned as applicable to the customer’s situation. To indicate unavailable identity documentation, check the "Document Unavailable" checkbox in the Create ID card wizard. RAPIDS will prompt you to scan the customer’s Lost/Stolen ID documentation (e.g. security office report, sponsor report) before proceeding. Ensure that your SSM is present to authorize the Document Unavailable option. Using the Documentation Unavailable option is intended for use when customers lose all of their identity credentials. It is not intended for convenience. Skipping a document capture requires an SSM override and is subject to audit. Documentation requirements to be scanned for lost/stolen ID cards are as follows: For Military Members: A memorandum or Counseling Statement from the Soldier's Commander, First Sergeant, or Adjutant describing the date, place, and circumstances surrounding the loss or theft must be presented to the VO before a replacement CAC may be issued. Documentation shall be scanned in DEERS to provide an audit trail of the action. For DoD/DA Civilian Employees: A memorandum from the employee's HR department or supervisor describing the date, place, and circumstances surrounding the loss or theft must be presented to the VO before a replacement CAC may be issued. Documentation shall be scanned in DEERS to provide an audit trail of the action. For DoD Contractor Personnel: A memorandum from the contractor's COR, COTR, or TASS TA , describing the date, place, and circumstances surrounding the loss or theft must be presented to the VO before a replacement CAC may be issued. Documentation shall be scanned in DEERS to provide an audit trail of the action. Two prudent procedures to validate identity for CAC reissuance: Perform biometric match with DEERS; Verify that the photo in DEERS matches the customer.

Do ID card/ RAPIDS offices allow mail in requests?

Army Regulation (AR) 600-8-14, page 107. Chapter 11, (11.12) of the AFI 36-3026_IP explains procedural guidance for the "Issuing Procedures for Applicants Who Cannot Report in Person". The following are examples of patrons who may be unable to report to a facility for the issuance of an ID card. 11.12.1 Who live far from a military facility, 11.12.1.1 is physically handicapped, 11.12.1.2 Have no means of transportation, 11.12.1.3 Are hospitalized or sick. Table 11.4: Issuing Machine-readable ID cards for Mail-in requests states, an applicant must provide an 8"x10" or 5"x7" portrait type photograph including information of physical characteristics (i.e. eyes and hair color, weight and height). A notary must verify the applicant’s signature on a written statement concerning his/her identity. Operators are to use this picture to re-capture a photograph for DEERS. All entries are to be updated and completed, except applicant’s signature at which point the ID card is sent back to recipient via certified mail. Upon receiving the card, applicant is to sign the proper block on the ID card and return it to the issuing office that will laminate and return the new identification card by certified mail to the recipient. NOTE: In the event an applicant cannot apply his/her signature due to mental or physical incapacity, the RAPIDS operator is to enter the word "INCAP" in the signature block.

When can a Retired Reserve Member obtain their ID card?

They can obtain their card when they are 2 weeks out from their 60th Birthday and have retirement orders they can be placed in a Retired status in DEERS and issued an ID Card. If they go past the 60th birth date, then go to the ID card facility they will have been terminated automatically. The Project Office then has to correct the record.

STEPS FOR PROCESSING MAIL IN ID CARD RENEWALS & DEERS UPDATES FOR ELIGIBLE MEMBERS RESIDING IN THE PHILIPPINES:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/pdfs/STEPS%20FOR%20PROCESSING%20MAIL%20IN%20ID%20CARD%20RENEWALS%2024%20April%202014.pdf

http://www.cac.mil/docs/dd1172-2.pdf

http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/dhr/ag/idcard1.htm

http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/dhr/ag/doc/afi_36-3026_ip_attach_5.pdf

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCO%205512.11D.pdf

Advise the nearest Uniformed Service issuing facility about any dependent additions

or changes to dependent data that affect DEERS enrollment and eligibility to a DD

Form 1173 or DD Form 1173-1 within 30 days of the addition or change. Sponsor

will sign DD Form 1172 application relating to DD Forms 1173 or 1173-1 to verify

continued eligibility for dependents upon ID card reissuance.

Provide documentation to update the DEERS for dependents no longer entitled to

benefits and privileges within 30 days of the change, (for example, final divorce

decree, child’s marriage certificate.).

Ensure all addresses are kept current in DEERS. It is mandatory that all active duty,

Guard, and Reserve personnel update their residential address in DEERS within 30

days of a residential move.

Provide family members’ SSN when enrolling in DEERS (see paragraphs 1.21. and

15.9).

http://manila.usembassy.gov/dodcardsver2.html

NEW ENROLLMENTS:

New Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) Enrollments will be processed by appointment only at the U.S. Embassy Manila. This includes enrolling new spouses and children for the first time.

NOX 1 Window 24

US Embassy Manila

JUSMAG, Philippines

Appointments are very limited and given on a first come first served basis. You will NOT be seen without an appointment. Those without an appointment will be turned away.

You may make appointments by clicking the link below:

https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/building.aspx?BuildingId=185

If you are unable to make an appointment in a timely manner, you may search alternate locations outside the Philippines at: https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/default.aspx

PROCEDURES:

You must arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment. You only need one appointment per family.

NOTE: The U.S. Embassy is closed all U.S. and Philippine Holidays. List of Holidays

In addition there is always the possibility of unannounced closures due to mission requirements or system failure. We will contact you via the email address or phone number you listed during appointment scheduling when possible.

What to bring to the appointment:

All Adults Must Have 2 Forms of ID.

1st form of ID Must be Picture ID

DoD ID Card

Passport Postal Card

Driver’s License

NBI Clearance with picture

Philippine SSS Card with Picture

Other Government issued ID with Picture

2nd form of ID

1.Birth Certificate

2.US Social Security card

3.Other government issued ID without picture

FAMILY MEMBERS:

DUE TO THE PRIVACY ACT, THE SPONSOR/SERVICE MEMBER MUST BE PRESENT TO AUTHORIZE ALL DEERS/ID CARD ACCESS AND/OR TRANSACTIONS. A REPRESENTATIVE MUST PRESENT A CURRENT GENERAL OR SPECIAL (ID CARD/DEERS) POWER OF ATTORNEY AND A CURRENT PHOTO ID. COPIES OF POWERS OF ATTORNEY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. FAMILY MEMBERS MUST BE ENROLLED IN DEERS BEFORE AN ID CARD CAN BE ISSUED. FAMILY MEMBERS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO BE PRESENT FOR ENROLLMENTS.

In order for dependents to receive an ID card the sponsor must be present, if not, the dependent must meet one of the following conditions:

The dependent must bring along a DD Form 1172 signed by the sponsor and notarized from a DEERS/RAPIDS workstation validating them as a dependent, along with a valid national ID (such as a Filipina/US passport, driver’s license, NBI report, voter’s card, etc.)

- OR -

The dependent must bring along a valid Power of Attorney notarized by a U.S. notary which gives her the power to act on the sponsor’s behalf, along with a valid national ID as stated above.

- OR -

If the sponsor is deceased, the un-remarried spouse or unmarried former spouse may act on their own behalf.

It is advised that they should bring all documentation that verifies their relationship with the sponsor such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, and previous DOD ID cards.

SPOUSE ENROLLMENT:

Initial Enrollment/ Issuance: Certified marriage certificate (shows where marriage was registered/recorded/returned and filed). If either sponsor or spouse was previously married, ALL final divorce decrees, annulments and/or death certificates are required. Two forms of identification (at least one being a photo ID).

https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/building.aspx?BuildingId=185

https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/default.aspx

https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/default.aspx

http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site?execution=e2s3

ABOVE IS INFO FOR SINGAPORE WHICH IS ACTUALLY EASIER THAN THAT SUBSTANDARD MANILA EMBASSY SERVICE ONLY AVAIL ONE DAY A MONTH. REMEMBER YOU STILL NEED AT LEAST 3 FORMS OF ID THERE AS WELL. 

PLUS THERE IS A U.S. EMBASSY IN SINGAPORE BUT I DON'T KNOW ANY DETAILS. 

https://www.facebook.com/singapore.usembassy

Also don't forget about Korea at Yongsan Garrison where you can stay at the Dragon Hill Lodge while you do a walk-in at the ID section but the cab there is even steeper from Inchon they say it runs about $65 each way if you aren't allowed on the free shuttle. 

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Right now there are still opening for September in Manila.