Military ID and DEERS Enrolment in Manila

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I finally got a hold of someone at the Embassy on the phone and they told me the online sign up for original ID and DEERS enrolment works just fine.

However they only issue them twice a month for 3 hours each day. Currently they said it's the 9th and the 23rd. In other words they only accept appointments for 72 hours a year.

I told her I've never seen an opening even for a year in advance. She said that was because they only open signups for the following month and they usually are filled in a few minutes.

Does anyone have a solution because this is fecking unbelieve that I can't sign my wife up for medical or other benefits and I've been trying for over 6 months.

The original enrollment can't be done through the mail.
Headshot

Is this for original application only? My wife's ID expires this month, and we were hoping to renew it when we go to the Embassy next month to apply for SS benefits for me and my daughter.

Majorsco

Does anyone have a solution

You can go to a military base in Guam or Japan (Main island or Okinawa).  They would be able to do it on any normal duty day.   

NOSOCALPINOY
We've lived here in the Philippines going on 17 years now and we've only been to Manila probaly twice, once to the U.S. Embassy when I received a threatening letter to do a 15 minute mandatory face to face interview at the Social Security office to verify that I was still alive and kicking in order for my direct deposit of my pensions to continue! The 2nd time was at the main BI office just to ask a question concerning my dual citizenship, which didn't pan out! Both trips were a waste of our time and money to hire a vehicle with driver, but fortuanately it was only an hour drive one-way roundtrip! 

Concerning DEERS, fortunately we were in Southern California on vacation 5 yrs ago and we just became eligable to enroll in DEERS and get our new I.D. cards before returning to the Philippines! 

Now that both of our military I.D. cards have expired, we plan to vacation in California again next year to renew our I.D. cards and update our DEERs information among other things.

It's almost impossible to do anything in Manila when it comes to DEERS or renewing our I.D. cards! 

Good luck if anyone can get an appointment at Manila! 

smokey

so true first time my wife received a card it took months of waiting this last year we stoped at Luke A F base and it took 10 min...

Jason S

I called the Embassy today and was told the same information. Since your Spouse doesn't have a VISA yet, flying to the U.S. or a U.S. Territory is out of the question. The only thing I can think of is to fly to Korea or Japan and sign her on to a military base and get it done that way, that is what I am thinking of doing.

Edited by Jason S
Jason S

When I called the Embassy today I talked with a SGT Rowena Rebaredo and she told me that they are only doing I.D. Cards two days a month because they are having to use a window that is dedicated to another service such as VISA's, Social Security etc. Furthermore, the online calendar for August has not been opened up yet on their internet site which is why appointments cannot be made from August or any month thereafter. The month of July is already booked up and the month of August wont become available until about the 3rd week of July. Click on the link below and look at the calendar, if there are days on the calendar highlighted in Green (there are none) than those days are available for appointments. 

https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/building.aspx?BuildingId=185 

Edited by Jason S
Headshot

You can go to a military base in Guam or Japan (Main island or Okinawa).  They would be able to do it on any normal duty day.   

Well, if that is the only option, then we will just wait until next year to get her ID card renewed.

Years ago ,I think it was my wifes first ID,she was in Cebu ,I was in Florida,I went to Macdill AFB ,they took a picture of a 8x10 picture I brought with me.I sign her name on the card.She got her ID card.Sounds weird but its the truth..

Can you get an id done in Singapore at the Navy element?

NOSOCALPINOY

Go to this website:  https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/default.aspx

and enter Singapore, this is what they show: 

Building 7-4

CSD Singapore, PSA SEMBAWANG TERMINAL

DEPTFORD RD, Singapore

• Administrator
Salty Dog

It's not a major issue as long as there is no cut off date to register her initially. I will have to call the US and check to make sure.

Guam is out of the questions as she doesn't have a visa. Besides a trip to Guam is several times the cost of a trip to Singapore.

Damn I wish I knew about Singapore. We were there a few months ago. Hell they offer appointments every day for months. I could even get one tomorrow.

I will try to get one of the appointments for August here first and if no luck I guess it's a trip to Singapore. There are worse things.

Typical Philippines BS. You would think they could at least open the signups for more than one month in advance like everywhere else in the world.

Is this for original application only? My wife's ID expires this month, and we were hoping to renew it when we go to the Embassy next month to apply for SS benefits for me and my daughter.

Im pretty sure renewals can be done through the mail. In fact I think they have to be done through the mail as they won't do them here.

By the way, I did all my social security stuff online from here, but I did have a US address to apply with. Maybe with a foreign address you have to do it in person.

Edited by Salty Dog
Headshot

I'm pretty sure renewals can be done through the mail. In fact I think they have to be done through the mail as they won't do them here.

By the way, I did all my social security stuff online from here, but I did have a US address to apply with. Maybe with a foreign address you have to do it in person.

Because I am also starting benefits for my dependent daughter, at least her application has to be a face-to-face application process. I tried to create an account on the SSA website, but it didn't like the phone number I used. Either that, or it didn't like the FPO address I used. It wasn't really clear which it was. Anyway, it didn't like me, and wouldn't let me open an account (so I can check my benefits and apply for the benefit start). Since it doesn't look like we can do the dependent ID card in Manila, we may wait for the August SSA Outreach to Cebu in August rather than going to Manila. I just need to check and find out when the outreach will be. Hopefully, I can figure out how to get the ID through the mail or another method.

NOSOCALPINOY

Because I am also starting benefits for my dependent daughter, at least her application has to be a face-to-face application process. I tried to create an account on the SSA website, but it didn't like the phone number I used. Either that, or it didn't like the FPO address I used. It wasn't really clear which it was. Anyway, it didn't like me, and wouldn't let me open an account (so I can check my benefits and apply for the benefit start). Since it doesn't look like we can do the dependent ID card in Manila, we may wait for the August SSA Outreach to Cebu in August rather than going to Manila. I just need to check and find out when the outreach will be. Hopefully, I can figure out how to get the ID through the mail or another method.

Yeah, I got the same runaround too trying to create an account on their SSA website to no avail and trying to call them is a long wait and no help at all depending on the time in the U.S.! Skype works well in calling them since all U.S. 1-800 numbers are free calls, but it should be done early U.S. time zone! 

SmokyMtnRon

Go to this website:  https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/default.aspx

and enter Singapore, this is what they show: 

Building 7-4

CSD Singapore, PSA SEMBAWANG TERMINAL

DEPTFORD RD, Singapore

Yes, you can. We just went there in April to get my wife's renewed. Took all of about 10 minutes after the machine was warmed up. Nice small Navel Exchange in the same building too. Tiger Air has cheap flights from Cebu to Singapore, about 3 hours travel. Make sure you have that Deptford road address with you. Taxi drivers and most other people don't know there's Navy people there.