Sign in to follow this  
Zigifer

Sending Money for Hotel Reservation

Zigifer

I'm heading for Batangas. So I contacted Islands Accommodations about getting a room. They had me e-mail them my itinerary and they replied with the rates at the hotels that I chose. Their prices are better than the prices listed on the hotels' websites. However, they want me to pay in advance with Western Union.

Does this sound legitimate? I'm not accustomed to using Western Union to transfer money to a business, so it sounds kinda fishy. But I'm also not accustomed to doing business in the Philippines...

sork
I'm heading for Batangas. So I contacted Islands Accommodations about getting a room. They had me e-mail them my itinerary and they replied with the rates at the hotels that I chose. Their prices are better than the prices listed on the hotels' websites. However, they want me to pay in advance with Western Union.

Does this sound legitimate? I'm not accustomed to using Western Union to transfer money to a business, so it sounds kinda fishy. But I'm also not accustomed to doing business in the Philippines...

Is it still cheaper once you pay the Western Union fees?

That place is in Raintree Mall so I'd think it's legit. Are they going to resend the cash over to the hotel in Batangas?

sork

The other thing is that Western Union's exchange rates aren't so hot. Keep all that in mind.

Zigifer
I hadn't even considered. Their rate for the hotel is $65 per night. The hotel's site lists the same cabana for $75. So I'm looking at wiring $650 to them and I have no idea what Western Union Charges. Shucks, I don't even know how the hotel would want to get the money from me...

So, just when I thought I was done with the research, I have more research to do...

Thanks.

Daisy
I hadn't even considered. Their rate for the hotel is $65 per night. The hotel's site lists the same cabana for $75. So I'm looking at wiring $650 to them and I have no idea what Western Union Charges. Shucks, I don't even know how the hotel would want to get the money from me...

So, just when I thought I was done with the research, I have more research to do...

Thanks.

Just a thought....why would one pay a hotel accomodation thru Western Union...don't they have a bank account so that payment shall be made directly to the Hotel's own account....if W.U somebody needs to claim it to WU and will pay it to bank? Or to Island Accomodations account? :D

Why all the merry go round when the best way would have been to give you their account number and there you go....

Edited by Daisy

Tommyc

most businesses have a link with western union quick collect that goes directly to a bank account, i would personally be very insecure of anything that was going to an individual or something to be picked up?

Edited by Tommyc

Lee
Their rate for the hotel is $65 per night. The hotel's site lists the same cabana for $75. So I'm looking at wiring $650 to them and I have no idea what Western Union Charges. Shucks, I don't even know how the hotel would want to get the money from me...

Thanks.

One never knows if it is a scam or not, so why not contact the hotel directly and ask if they have a discount for a 10 day stay (most do and it is usually 5 to 10% if paid in full on the first day) and ask if they are willing to take a deposit over the phone on a credit card or if you can pay the whole thing upon arrival. The savings on the exchange rate at an in country money changer verses WU and with the discount, it will probably come out to less or about the same and you will not be gambling your money that way. Just a thought.

Alan S

Personally I would only pay one or two nights in advance, whilst telling them that I MIGHT stay for much longer.

Some hotels look much nicer in the brochure / website, than they are in reality.

If, when I arrive, it is OK I can extend my booking, and if not, look around for somewhere else.

Zigifer

All good tips, guys! Thanks.

Yeah, I thought it was kinda suspicious that they want me to WU the money to a guy named John with an address of Islands Accommodations/Rain Tree Mall. So I got online with WU and found out it would cost $64 to wire it. That almost erases the discount I was going to get by going through Islands Accommodations.

The hotel/resort does show that they take credit cards, so I e-mailed them to see if they will give me a discount. I'm waiting to hear back from them now.

As for the brochure making it seem more than it is, I don't know if that's possible. What I'm looking at is a non-air conditioned "cabana" which I think is more of a nipa hut. Here is the page and here is the pic:

cabanas-2-web.jpg

Alan S

One of the reasons I am sceptical is from experience.

A few years ago on one of my business trips, I booked what looked like a decent hotel in Manila.

The first surprise, as it was supposed to be a place that catered specifically for business travellers, was to find that they didnt accept and couldnt change

Gerald

Don't walk away....run. Why would anyone require full payment in advance? A deposit yes but not full payment

JollyJim

Yeah, I thought it was kinda suspicious that they want me to WU the money to a guy named John with an address of Islands Accommodations/Rain Tree Mall. So I got online with WU and found out it would cost $64 to wire it. That almost erases the discount I was going to get by going through Islands Accommodations.

The hotel/resort does show that they take credit cards, so I e-mailed them to see if they will give me a discount. I'm waiting to hear back from them now.

As for the brochure making it seem more than it is, I don't know if that's possible. What I'm looking at is a non-air conditioned "cabana" which I think is more of a nipa hut. Here is the page and here is the pic:

cabanas-2-web.jpg

$65 a night for that seems way out of line. I would expect to pay no more than $30, even thats a bit high.

Gerald

cabanas-2-web.jpg

$65 a night for that seems way out of line. I would expect to pay no more than $30, even thats a bit high.

30.00 per month would be more in line.

Zigifer
Really??? It's the cheapest I can find on the beach. There's a Days Hotel (Days Inn) for roughly the same price. But I'm not sure if it's a good deal since it's not on a beach and it's just a hotel--it doesn't have the, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, charm of the hut on the beach.

Does anybody have any information on a specific hotel that I can get for cheaper on the beach? If Jim says I oughtta be paying half of what I'm looking at, then I would like to give that a shot. But the Days is the only thing that pops up on Expedia--which is where I got my ticket $1471 round trip to Little Rock. And the Eagle Point Resort is the cheapest that shows up on Islands Accommodations that is on the beach. Sure there are cheaper places, but my girl tells me they are not in good locations.

Plus the Eagle Point Resort has activities like kayaking, diving, snorkeling, ATVing.

Keep the information coming, fellas. I have to do something very soon because I'm getting on the plane on July 2nd.

JollyJim

Well, I really have no idea what the prices are there at the Eagle Point Resort, I was basing my comments on where I stayed on the little island

at the northern tip of Cebu Island called Malapasque (sic) I paid about $45 for a air con "hut" right on the beach. It was very nice. But they did not

take credit cards, only cash.There was not much to do there, swim, eat and be romantic lol.

Edited by JollyJim