Solar cost to run 3 lights and charge cell phones in the phils?

fanboat

Over here in usa I have experience in ground mount solar systems...36 panel...24 panel...we use 280 watt panels..w/enphase inverters,costing on average $500.00 per set

These are all grid tied

When a shadow covers a panel the rest of the panels still work

What would a small set up cost to run 3 lights and charge cell phones in the phils?

Paul

Over here in usa I have experience in ground mount solar systems...36 panel...24 panel...we use 280 watt panels..w/enphase inverters,costing on average $500.00 per set

These are all grid tied

When a shadow covers a panel the rest of the panels still work

What would a small set up cost to run 3 lights and charge cell phones in the phils?

That's the beauty of micro inverters. But, grid tied doesn't do shit for you when the mains go off line. Time to offer your customers hybrid systems. 

Regarding your request, if they have a 12vdc cell phone charger, you wouldn't need an inverter. So, here is how I would figure it. 

3 lights - 5 watts - 6 hours per night

1 charger - 2 watts - 2 hours per day

94 watt hours per day. Call it 100 watt hours, per day. This is 8.4 amp hours per day.

Double that figure, to 16.8. So, you will need (rounded up) a 20AH battery. To charge that battery, you would need a 40 watts solar panel. 

If they wish to burn the lights a bit longer, or use the charger an extra hour or two per day, just go with a 50 watts solar panel. 

You will also need a solar controller rated at 5 amps.

I took a moment to look at CDR King's site. I found both panels I suggested for this project:

40 watts solar panel

50 watts solar panel

I was only able to find a 50 amp solar controller, though. It is way to large for this. A solar supply company in Cebu would probably be able to hook you up with a smaller charge controller. Or, you could buy one on eBay and have it shipped direct to the Philippines? I have had a few cheaper (Chinese junk) solar charge controllers shipped to me, here in Cambodia. 

The only other thing you need, would be the 20 AH battery for the system, and to wire it all together. (Don't forget fuse / DC breakers for circuit protection.)

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
hyaku

I posted before about this. I thought about charging a battery either solar or battery charger then use an inverter.

Right now I have solved it bit by using phone power packs that will charge three times. They sell 12v light bulbs at the auto parts shop for lights to wire up to my car if need be. I also have solar lights.

Thing is does the initial financial outlay really warrant what you want to do?

Brucewayne

Try LEED lighting to save more power.

I would like to know what type of battery is needed, or is it an automobile battery?

If not, how much and what type of battery or how many batteries are recommended for fanboat's application?

Oh, and thanks for posting the price of the solar panel, they have come down a bit in price since the last time I looked at them.

Paul

Thing is does the initial financial outlay really warrant what you want to do?

I'm not Erik, but I can say this, and have said it in the past. Going solar - off-grid anyway, is NOT cheaper than having mains power wired into your home. In most cases, it is used when there is no option of having mains, like in my case at the farm. So, perhaps that is the case for Erik, too? Not really sure, here. 

With that said, living in countries like these in Southeast Asia, where power isn't exactly known to be constant, reliable, or clean, it isn't a bad idea to consider an off-grid solar system to power, worst case, the most important appliances / devices in your home. For me, that made it a pretty simple decision. I will NEVER again live anywhere in Southeast Asia, without solar power feeding my home. 

Paul

Try LEED lighting to save more power.

I would like to know what type of battery is needed, or is it an automobile battery?

If not, how much and what type of battery or how many batteries are recommended for fanboat's application?

Oh, and thanks for posting the price of the solar panel, they have come down a bit in price since the last time I looked at them.

LEDs are a great idea. I changed all the Compact Fluorescent bulbs to LEDs, at the farm. I believe I have eight LED bulbs, all drawing less than 3 amperes, combined.

No. Automobile batteries are NOT designed for the same applications. They are designed to provide a strong burst of energy, and then be recharged. Deep cycle batteries, on the other hand, are designed to have a long, slow, continuous drain placed upon them, and then to be recharged over and over again. 

The way to long lasting batteries is to not let them discharge more than 50% each cycle, and less than that, if possible. Many people design their systems so the batteries do not discharge less than 25%, in fact. That way, if they have two days of autonomy, their batteries are still discharged no more 50%.

You can use FLA*, SLA*, or AGM* deep cycle batteries for solar applications. Golf Cart batteries make excellent solar batteries. Also, some companies make batteries specifically designed for solar applications.

For members who reside in the US, either full time or part time, you would find, upon doing a bit of research, that you could buy solar panels (modules) and have them shipped to your home, for under $1.00 per watt. Solar panels (modules) are cheaper now, than at any time in history.

* FLA = Flooded Lead Acid

* SLA = Sealed Lead Acid

* AGM = Absorbed (Absorbent) Glass Mat 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
Woolf