contraman

Love the hi tech clamps used to hold the sausage machine :)

• Like 1

easy44

Great tutorial. I would try it if I had a machine.

Mikala

The machines are priced well, it's just the gosh-darned shipping costs. Someone sending a balikbayan box could fit one in very nicely.

I tried using a grinder (bought in America), but it was too much work. So much easier to have the butcher grind your meat selection!

I guess I would use the grinder if I was making some specialty sausages with vegetables, seafood or horse...

Brucewayne

Not near enough spice for the amount of meat you are making.

I would use at least triple to quadruple the amount of marjoram you list for your kielbasa and at kleast double the rest.

I know, different tastes for different folks, but I really love real sausages with lots of spice in them.

Try a teaspoon of instant coffee powder and a packet of Grillmate hickory smoke powder in the next kilo you make if you really want a more authentic kielbasa.

Edited by Brucewayne
  • Like 3

Brucewayne

Yes, I agree, there was at least as much work putting the recipes and such up as there was in making the sausage.

• Like 1

Mikala

Not near enough spice for the amount of meat you are making.

I would use at least triple to quadruple the amount of marjoram you list for your kielbasa and at kleast double the rest.

I know, different tastes for different folks, but I really love real sausages with lots of spice in them.

Try a teaspoon of instant coffee powder and a packet of Grillmate hickory smoke powder in the next kilo you make if you really want a more authentic kielbasa.

I admit that the kielbasa is a bit on the mild side for me. Where do you buy Grillmate Hickory Smoke Powder?? I like lots of spices. I'm just using a recipe I found that seemed the best available.

Brucewayne

I admit that the kielbasa is a bit on the mild side for me. Where do you buy Grillmate Hickory Smoke Powder?? I like lots of spices. I'm just using a recipe I found that seemed the best available.

SM or any SM store, Savemore at Park Mall is also owned by SM.

Don't make the mistake I made one time.

I bought steak seasoning and it was awful.

If you look at the front of the pack, it says Grill Mate's Hickory Smoked on the front, but I didn't have my glasses that day.

It is in the spice department, but away from the local spices.

Try making hot curry sausage some time, experiment, as there is a lot you can do with sausage.

• Like 1

Mikala

Hmm... I still have 10 kg of pork (mostly fat) leftover. I might buy some lean ground beef and try to make some more kielbasa using your tips.

THANKS!!!!!!

to_dave007

Did you make these sausage in Cebu, or back in USA? I see wooden floor so I'm assuming in USA

Where (in Cebu) did you buy the sausage casings? I've been assuming I will need to buy natural gut and clean it. Not looking forward to that part.

Is that the 5 pound LEM sausage stuffer or the 15 pound.. looks like the 5 pound version.

Where did you buy fennel in Cebu. I looked in SM, Gaisano, Rustins, but couldn't find it. Right now I've got some back here that I'm bringing.

I've never made sausage before, but I'm planning to do so in Cebu retirement. To that end I'm buying a good quality (www.chop-rite.com) made in USA meat grinder with stainless plates and a sausage maker attachment on this visit back here. If my initial experiments with sausage making go well, then I was thinking I would buy the sausage press on my next trip. Your article is making me doubt that.

Thanks a LOT for your posting.. very much appreciated.

I'm excited to get back and try it.

My initial goal is a really good hot Italian sausage for the BBQ.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Majorsco

Here's a site I like with a very large number of formulations as well as lots of info.  This includes formulations for sausages, but also other cured meats, like pastrami, corned beef, ham, all kinds of things.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/

RogerDat

Greetings! great post, but poor table! Pleas get a pad under it!

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

Awesome. Keeping this link for early next year...im going to have a stab at making these for here. Thanks mikala very informative. And no cut and paste.

Word

RogerDuMond

I buy all my spices from The Spice House in the US and my wife brings them over when she comes back here for the summer. Their Italian Sausage spice is excellent. It just needs a little crushed red pepper to spice it up a bit. I tried making my own blend sampling many different recipes, but this beats them all.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/

TheMatrix

Great tutorial.  Thanks for posting.

Most sausage makers use sodium nitrates as a preservative to help keep the meat appearing red/pinkish.  Of course, lots of controversy with this preservative in way of health concerns.

Also known as prague powder.

I didn't notice any preservative in your recipe (sorry if I missed it).  Your meat will turn grayish brown, no?