Sign in to follow this  
spritsail

Would you eat horsemeat

MaKe

So I probably have around 100 kg of prime horsemeat on the once pristine kitchen worktops awaiting to be transformed into some culinary delight, maybe burgers, horsemeat and kidney pies, shepards pie, ranchers stew, madras horsemeat curry. Looks like I will have to dig out my Elizabeth Davids French Provincial Cooking to see what see has listed for horse and liver casserole.. Any recipe suggestions

My dad always joked about rabbit and horse meat sausage....one rabbit + one horse!!

Seriously, I find the lean horse meat to very pleasing; have eaten in in Japan several times...

Make sure you freeze whatever you don't plan on eating in a day or 3 as it goes bad very quickly even if refrigerated.

Use it as a beef substitute, but since it is so lean, add some oil to your recipes...

There are many recipes on the web:

http://www.iga.net/en/inspiring_recipes/horsemeat_burger_with_feta_cheese/

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jan/17/how-to-cook-horsemeat-three-thrifty-recipes

http://www.metro.ca/recipes/horsemeat-roast-with-blue-cheese-horseradish-sauce.en.html

spritsail

I do not like or even attend horse fighting events. They are illegal but they do happen in some of the mountain places in Mindinao (Bukidnon). , Although it all looks very desperate seldom do the horses get injured seriously. Not like in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, UK  where four horses had to be put down after the race.

The foto was taken from the Daily Mail online UK

throttleplate

i only eat animals that have split hooves,horses hooves arnt split so no way.

• Like 1

Majorsco

i only eat animals that have split hooves,horses hooves arnt split so no way.

But you'd go for camel though? They're split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

HTM

"Would you eat horsemeat

yes, love it!

• Like 1

throttleplate

But you'd go for camel though? They're split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would try camel because to me a camel is an animal i dont associate to as a pet.

ahoy53

camel toe,yummm

• Like 2

Alan S

Plenty of us ate horse during the rationing of WW2 and thereafter.

I reckon that if it has four legs and isnt a table or chair, then it is lunch.

• Like 2

cheesemiz

I ate some horse meat [ kabayo ] a few months ago at one of the big eaterys on srp. I have to say it was good.

broden

i seem to remember for a short while in new york in the 70's or 80's they had street vendors selling horsemeat.. didn't go over well came to an end

ellenbrook2001

wow loved if the butcher his very good  when i was doing professional cycling in france morning breakfast was horse ground meat tartare with yolk eggs wow very very nice but when i go back to FRANCE on holiday my first meal will be horse steak  . 

hyaku

Japanese basashi or sakura nikku (cherry blossom meat) is one of my favorite sashimi. But its from specially bred horses. I would eat just any old meat, especially if the animal had been sick.

Next door had a pig die mysteriously and was trying to sell the meat......No thanks.

• Like 1

ROCO22

If hungry...

With a nice hollandaise sauce    :cooking:

maccydee

I had horse meat while working in Germany & it was lovely. But be careful if you make the horse burgers. If you ask anyone what they want on it they might ask for £5 on the nose to win lol

• Like 1

Lee

I am going to venture and educated guess that if you have eaten a lot of meals in the Philippines, then you have probably eaten horse meat and maybe some other critters you never thought you ate. Do any of you actually believe that if some locals will cheat us out of money if given the chance and not think a peep about it that some would not put in less expensive horse meat into food we eat. :(

Horse meat for sale

Even in the US I have seen sushi restaurants fined for selling fish renamed that was caught in the swamps, people do whatever they wish to do to make an extra buck or peso. 

Also many restaurants are run by Chinese and Koreans, so they might even think nothing of eating many other living creatures.