Would you eat horsemeat

spritsail

spritsail

The British would be horrified, the french love it and I think most filippinos are ambivalent to a horse meat steak.

Sadly my horse went lame coz of a suspected testicular infection - god knows as there are no vets on the island to do a biopsy. Once a horse falls to its knees and unable to get up then there are many waiting with a bolo to sever the head. I dont dare watch the butchery, the weekly slaughter of pigs in the local market is enough for even the less squeamish to vomit.

So I probably have around 100 kg of prime horsemeat on the once pristine kitchen worktops awaiting to be transformed into some culinary delight, maybe burgers, horsemeat and kidney pies, shepards pie, ranchers stew, madras horsemeat curry. Looks like I will have to dig out my Elizabeth Davids French Provincial Cooking to see what see has listed for horse and liver casserole..

Any recipe suggestions

• Like 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spritsail

• Brucewayne

• MaKe

• throttleplate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of us ate horse during the rationing of WW2 and thereafter.   I reckon that if it has four legs and isnt a table or chair, then it is lunch.

camel toe,yummm

I would eat the human, save a good horse and skip the McDogfood.

Posted Images

SomeRandomGuy

Yummy. U got a mincer?

Sent from my mind on my doovalacky to your mind thru your doovalacky.

• Like 1
Mikala

I used to see horsemeat for sale in grocery stores in Connecticut. Never bothered me if folks want to eat horse, dog, cat, rat, snake or whatever. It's probably lean, so you might have to mix in some pig fat if you're thinking of making burgers.

spritsail

I think there was a major scandal in Britain last year coz the Health and Safety found traces of horsemeat in pies shipped in from Roumania. Yhere was paranoia about eating any pies labelled with a frozen food brand. Here its quite normal for the folks to eat dogs, last weekend my neighbour chopped two of his mutts - thanks the lord coz the were barking crazy, but somehow I dont fancy german shepard casserole or poodle kebabs or a jack russel tandoori. i admit I have never eaten horsemeat, I couldnt eat rabbit for years after having a pet rabbit as a kid. Maybe in a beef penang with lots of spices you will not be able to tell the difference - beef or horsemeat. knowing the wife she will have a market stall set up so we can pay the electricity bill next month.

BossHog

Well, raw always works if you can't find a good recipe

And don't neglect the ass!

Any recipe suggestions

Don't know if I would eat it or not depends if I like the flavor.

What about some of the local plates like Horse adobo? I would think that would be good with the vinigar.....

Horse Humba - hmmmmm not sure about the sweet flavor

If you try some of the local plates let me know how it came out I would be interested in knowing.

Cebu-Viking

Horse Meat no problem at all. Here are pic of yummy snacks I eat in Thailand. Salty and delicious.

post-16212-0-09602800-1403510796_thumb.jpg

Brucewayne

Horse is a bit tough and sweeter than beef.

It is safe to eat and sells legally in certain ares of the U.S.

I saw Archie Bunker eat it once and he loved it....until Meathead started making horse sounds and gave away Edith's secret.

• Like 1
spritsail

Here are pic of yummy snacks I eat in Thailand. Salty and delicious.

looks lile dried locusts and cockroaches, maybe something like a vietnamese beef (horsemeat Bo Pho noodle soup) might be more apetitiing / Maybe be best is a cornish pasty then its obscured with all the other fillings.

horse beef makes the best pepper steaks, the sweetness of the meat combined with the strong pepper flavour works, it really really works

oscarpears

Though in Ireland i was practically reared on a diet of bull sh#t 
I have never eaten horsemeat and i don't think i ever would want to. Thinking about it now makes me realise that i would just be as squeamish about eating Pigs and Sheep if i had not grown up in a meat eating family.

Some posters have mentioned dogs as a meat dish. I would not touch it.

In China at least it is customary to beat the dog severely and to generally terrorise the animal, as it believed that the adrenalin that the dog produces in his fear will make his meat more tender.

I hope you find a market for your poor horse, i am sure many of your less fortunate neigh-bours will be happy to have their diet supplemented with some good protein,

SomeRandomGuy

Hey do u know what your horse is dead from or dying from.?

Sent from my mind on my doovalacky to your mind thru your doovalacky.

youngwillie

I think there was a major scandal in Britain last year coz the Health and Safety found traces of horsemeat in pies shipped in from Roumania. Yhere was paranoia about eating any pies labelled with a frozen food brand. Here its quite normal for the folks to eat dogs, last weekend my neighbour chopped two of his mutts - thanks the lord coz the were barking crazy, but somehow I dont fancy german shepard casserole or poodle kebabs or a jack russel tandoori. i admit I have never eaten horsemeat, I couldnt eat rabbit for years after having a pet rabbit as a kid. Maybe in a beef penang with lots of spices you will not be able to tell the difference - beef or horsemeat. knowing the wife she will have a market stall set up so we can pay the electricity bill next month.

I think the scandal was about mis-labelling of food. Like what exactly is in the beef pie? If it's not beef why are they calling it that? There was a similar thing with kebab meat and the "ham" on pizzas in fast food places.

If really hungry there probably isn't too much I would not eat, to be honest. If I ordered horse I'd like to be sure it was horse I was eating.

• Like 1

So I probably have around 100 kg of prime horsemeat on the once pristine kitchen worktops awaiting to be transformed into some culinary delight, maybe burgers, horsemeat and kidney pies, shepards pie, ranchers stew, madras horsemeat curry. Looks like I will have to dig out my Elizabeth Davids French Provincial Cooking to see what see has listed for horse and liver casserole.. Any recipe suggestions

My dad always joked about rabbit and horse meat sausage....one rabbit + one horse!!

Seriously, I find the lean horse meat to very pleasing; have eaten in in Japan several times...

Make sure you freeze whatever you don't plan on eating in a day or 3 as it goes bad very quickly even if refrigerated.

Use it as a beef substitute, but since it is so lean, add some oil to your recipes...

There are many recipes on the web:

http://www.iga.net/en/inspiring_recipes/horsemeat_burger_with_feta_cheese/

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jan/17/how-to-cook-horsemeat-three-thrifty-recipes

http://www.metro.ca/recipes/horsemeat-roast-with-blue-cheese-horseradish-sauce.en.html

spritsail

Seems like I will have to change my avatar again , with no horse to pull my kalesa or van. A replacement from Bukidnon is around 18000 php with all the hassles of getting it onto the island. A horse fighting enthusiast left his fighting horse in my care a few years ago after losing a wad of money in the arena. The horse never fought again  and had a happy peaceful life once then retired outside of the arena,  . Sadly he also passed away a few weeks ago,

post-7590-0-33275900-1403517751_thumb.jpg