Beans - Brown, Red , Pinto

samatm

In Quantity at discount.   Beans sold in packages here in the grocery are cray-Z expensive.   we are talking  160 - 200 pr kilo.  More than the price of  quality meats.  

I need to find a supplier of Beans for much less than the grocery packaged prices.   Any hints.

Thanks,

Edited by samatm
  • Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

I wanted to make a Chile Con Carne here in Zhuzhou, China.

Once I found the Chinese for Red Kidney Bean, I was able to discover they had them in a dried form in large bins.

I think it was CNY7.55 (GBP0.76 / USD1.00) and usually prices per 500g (rather than 1kg), so USD2.00/kg in China I think.

Good job I looked up how to prepare them as ine needs to soak in water for 10 hours first otherwise are toxic!

I have always bought cans of prepared Red Kidney beans in Cebu!

try carbon market, buy in bulk, but watch for the white tax

samatm

try carbon market, buy in bulk, but watch for the white tax

I know carbon quite well and I think there may one beans dealer.. but havn't been there yet. thanks.

I wanted to make a Chile Con Carne here in Zhuzhou, China.

Once I found the Chinese for Red Kidney Bean, I was able to discover they had them in a dried form in large bins.

I think it was CNY7.55 (GBP0.76 / USD1.00) and usually prices per 500g (rather than 1kg), so USD2.00/kg in China I think.

Good job I looked up how to prepare them as ine needs to soak in water for 10 hours first otherwise are toxic!

I have always bought cans of prepared Red Kidney beans in Cebu!

David,

I am not in China.. but thank you for your insight.    even the canned red beans are out of stock recently here in Cebu. 

Knowdafish

In Quantity at discount.   Beans sold in packages here in the grocery are cray-Z expensive.   we are talking  160 - 200 pr kilo.  More than the price of  quality meats.  

I need to find a supplier of Beans for much less than the grocery packaged prices.   Any hints.

Thanks,

The prices of beans has risen dramatically here over the last 2 years here in Dumaguete, so much so that my in-laws are growing mung beans as a summer crop in their rice fields.

Kidney beans have gone from 50p to 140p per half kilo.

I think world demand is outstripping supplyOne reason, at least in the U.S., is that their are other crops that are more lucrative for the farmer to plant, harvest, and sell.

I wonder what the wholesale price is for a 100 kilo sack?

Headshot

It makes you wonder if some dumb ass "eco-friendly" company is turning beans into fuel. That is what has caused corn and sugar prices to shoot up worldwide. The law of unintended consequences strikes again.

• Haha 1
BossHog

Yeah, i forgot to add the caveat

that it's a gov't site

and naturally doesn't function and/or is never updated.

Gotcha!

samatm

Alibaba has the price of beans ranging 800 to 1400  Dollars  per  metric ton.THATS ABOUT  avg $1 per kilo or  P44.00 / kilo.        seems considerable markup fellas.    Who wants to join me in exporting over a container of beans repacking and selling ?  

How safe is an food in China?  Why is it that most Chinese peel every fruit they eat including apples, pears and grapes? Ask any Chinese person, or most anyone who has lived or worked in China how safe the food is...or isn't !!

It's all well and dandy that you can buy dried beans or other food stuffs at reasonable prices provided you don't mind the fact that

pesticides that have been banned for decades in developed nations are routinely used in China.  Chinese farmers don't care about the consumers! 

They care about MONEY. 

Living in China  is dangerous for your health and if you are only minimally observant yet walk around

and watch you'll understand why!

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...
samatm

wow.. so speaking of  Beans... I found the answer to the incredibly hard beans sold here locally.    You know the kind of beans that wont soften after 34 hours soaking and 6 hours in the pressure cooker.    Well it seems there is a bit of chemistry involved and you can google it.   The key is in soaking and cooking your beans in a alkaline state.     So mates add a teaspoon of Baking Soda to your beans and they will soften right up in an hour or two.  Worked for me..much to my surprise .   YMMV.

• Like 5
Chris24

Baking soda is also supposed to take some of the gas-producing sugars out of the beans.   BTW it has "bean" six years since the last post on this thread.  Not sure what price fluctuations have happened across those years, but right now in the U.S on the Walmart web site an 8 lb. bag of dried pintos is $5.98 USD which equates to around  $1.65 per kilo or around 79-80 pesos per kilo if my math is right.

Beans and rice are a famously cheap and nutritious combination, I'm trying to work more beans into my diet (the rice part is already taken care of).  The ladies at my house don't do beans all that often, just mung beans sometimes and black-eyes peas around the holidays. 

Edited by Chris24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
5 hours ago, Chris24 said:

Baking soda is also supposed to take some of the gas-producing sugars out of the beans.

Where's the fun in that?

Not sure what price fluctuations flatulations have happened across those years

fixed

• Haha 4
Chris24

Thanks Dafey, I almost went there too.

Worst gas I ever had was from an early attempt at making hummus from scratch using dried chickpeas. They were somewhat old and had hardened up, so ended up not being completely cooked before I ran them through the blender with tahini, sesame oil and quite a bit of garlic.  It actually tasted alright, a bit gritty with a "green" flavor, but I washed it down with some nicely-hopped craft beer.   Well within just a couple of hours that turned out to be a truly magical formula for exploring the upper limits of what the human body can produce with regard to, well, you know.  It was uncomfortable for several hours, and the sheer volume was quite impressive - for several hours. 

• Haha 4