Start of the School Year

ozboy

Is private English tuition readily available and any idea where to start looking???  trying to find anything online is hopeless....The local teacher can hardly communicate well enough so im not sure about classes being taught in English..(semi-private school)

BossHog

In our Bgy, we haven't heard anything about no books for the public schools.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

It's a local issue and not a national one.

Headshot

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

It's a local issue and not a national one.

Not necessarily. This year public schools started teaching all subjects from K-3 in the local language instead of teaching them in English or Tagalog. The problem with that is that most of the textbooks using the local languages aren't even available. However, it has been common practice in many public schools here to operate without sufficient books for the student population. Students share books (quite often that means the books never leave the classroom), teachers make a lot of handouts, or the kids just have to rely on the teacher's presentation to get the information they need.

If my child was in a public school, I wouldn't care what was fair for the other students. I would find and buy the textbooks for my child. That way, we could at least go through them after school (it wouldn't be a good idea to take the books to school under those circumstances). That said, I would never send my child to the public schools here. DepEd is as corrupt as every other facet of Philippine government. You have heard of "pork barrel" where senators and representatives have discretionary funds available for their pet projects (which are usually in their own pockets). Well, administrators (including principals) have discretionary funds as well. They are supposed to be for school improvement, maintenance, textbooks and supplies. However, if a principal spends less on these items, it gives them more money to move into their pet projects (which are also in their own pockets).

The Catholic school where my daughter attends teaches ALL subjects at ALL levels in ENGLISH. Waiting until children are in fourth grade to start teaching them English will mean that fewer Filipinos will be able to speak English with any fluency. A population with a knowledge of the English language is just about the only competitive advantage the Philippines has over other countries in Asia. So, of course, they have decided to throw the advantage away in the name of nationalism. Pretty soon, those who are not able to attend private schools (where they can teach in whatever language they wish) will be good for nothing except as menial laborers or domestic helpers. The powers that be are doing everything they can to "dumb down" the population, so it is easier for them to line their pockets at the people's expense.