Smoke'in

lamoe

Once or twice every year I'll haul out the smoker and do about 12 kilos of pork shoulder (not picnic shoulder - too salty) and several large chickens

Use Applewoood

7 hrs for chickens

12 for pork

So tender no knife  needed you just pull it apart - that's why it's called "Pulled Pork" - 

post-15177-0-03181200-1403379466_thumb.jpgpost-15177-0-08865500-1403379501_thumb.jpgpost-15177-0-83087700-1403379521_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

i need to get a good smoker some time

but i do have a bunch of collard greens and smoked ham hocks in the slow cooker right now

• Like 4
lamoe

i need to get a good smoker some time

but i do have a bunch of collard greens and smoked ham hocks in the slow cooker right now

Low Country, KC, or Memphis style sauce?

Here PP goes for $10 to $12 a pound

• Like 1

i need to get a good smoker some time ....

lacking a real good smoker we are 'abusing' our oven, works pretty good

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Low Country, KC, or Memphis style sauce?

Here PP goes for $10 to $12 a pound

we like our sauce on the sweet side .. with a little tang

found one we like called head country

not too much though some sometimes none .. depends on the mood 

lacking a real good smoker we are 'abusing' our oven, works pretty good

yeah i like to slow roast some times.. but not in the summer .. ac bill is already high enough

• Like 1
4thDan

What is a good wood to use here in the Phils for smoking meat.  Got a Weber type grill that is great for smoking...but haven't seen a hickory tree....Have seen some small packages of "hickory wood" now and then in the city, but wow...it's the price of a whole tree.

• Like 2
KennyF

What is a good wood to use here in the Phils for smoking meat.

I've had a lot of success with coconut husk.

Not the loose furry stuff but the matted stuff next to the "scull".

Whatever you do, give mango wood a miss.

KonC

4thDan

I've had a lot of success with coconut husk.

Not the loose furry stuff but the matted stuff next to the "scull".

Whatever you do, give mango wood a miss.

KonC

Am not really awake and not that familiar with coconut terminology...hehehe...."matted stuff"..."scull"?   Your help would be appreciated.  And what kind of flavor does it impart?  

What is a good wood to use here in the Phils for smoking meat.  Got a Weber type grill that is great for smoking...but haven't seen a

I have an old Weber Grill being shipped over to me here while I am on vacation in Cebu City...Have wondered about what charcoal/wood to buy , how much does it costs, where is the easiest place to buy it,  etc?

, I am staying in the mango area, so anyone around here  has a suggestion on where to check out the best (charcoal) wood to use please let me know..I will go and get information on it and post what I find on this link...

thanks..

At home, I use a mix of Cattleman Hot Sauce - the red -- Hickory Flavor Bar B Que sauce, lime juice, peppers, Tabasco sauce, mix and chill for a few beers.. and apply when chicken is almost done ... 

Here I plan on just doing several drunk chickens, with salt and pepper, and a half lime/lemon stuck down the neck to seal, I might use Dr Pepper or a beer to stage the chicken...

I have practice some spare-ribs in my slow cooker while here, so I am thinking I will cook some ribs wrapped in aluminum foil on the grill also, and use   sauce mix with what I can find here ....to baste... 

Damn, now I am getting hungry...

Edited by tim

, I am staying in the mango area, so anyone around here  has a suggestion on where to check out the best (charcoal) wood to use please let me know..I will go and get information on it and post what I find on this link... thanks..

Looked in Robinson's market yesterday, but did not see any charcoal/wood ....

sugbu777

Charcoal (uling) is available pretty much anywhere in Cebu. The good stuff, made from real wood. We usually buy it by 50 kilo sack. Its not expensive. Ipil wood is great to use for smoking or using as barbecue fuel instead of charcoal.

• Like 1