Paul

I know it probably doesn't mean a lot to most people. But, today is Summer (June) Solstice. for us folk in the Northern Hemisphere. It is Winter Solstice for our friends south of the Equator. 

This is the day when the sun will be focusing it's rays the farthest from the Equator, in the Northern Hemisphere. After today, the Earth will slowly start tilting itself back where the sun rays will move closer and closer to the Equator. It also represents the beginning of Summer (Northern Hemisphere).

So, friends and neighbors, happy Summer Solstice!

• Like 5
ILoveCyrus

And welcome heat and rain?

rfm010

i was going to post some stonehengeish type pics like this:

midsummer-sunset.jpg

Stonehenge_heel_stone.jpeg

but after looking at google it appears summer solstice at stonehenge appears more like this:

_61048292_benp_bbc_summer_solstice0039.j

article-2162495-13B6B263000005DC-778_968

so i think i'll stay home and cut the grass before it rains.

• Like 1
Paul

Well, Summer Solstice is slowly going past. Now, the suns rays will, every so slowly, start focusing their warmth a bit farther South each and every day - until Winter Solstice, December 21st, 2014.

Its not focussing its bloody rays anywhere near Lapu Lapu today ...cloudy old day :(

• Like 1

Better than stonehenge, and less well know, is Ireland's New Grange, which was built before the pyramids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newgrange

newgrange-aerial.jpg

It was built in such a way that the sun only penetrates on one day a year, the Winter solstice.(nb. I know its summer solctice, but im in Australia, so its cold, and reminds me of Newgrange.)

newgrange8.JPG

_50468952_070105_newgrange_003.tiffcopy.

Newgrange-winter-solstice1.jpg

Ireland is ful of these stone age buildings, but New Grange is the best example.

Edited by smidsy
  • Like 4
mikewright

Beautiful sunny day here in Sydney today.  Pity the day was so short!

• Like 1
oscarpears

Ireland is ful of these stone age buildings, but New Grange is the best example.

So is the UK. Indeed there is a remarkable and intact stone age village found in Orkney.  

The village was buried in sand and when it was re-discovered some years ago, it still contained furniture made of stone, dressers and chairs and had stone tools and stone axes left on the furniture.
Near-by there is a large passage tomb/Temple that very closely resembles the building at New Grange.

I have been to both New Grange and Orkney, they are both fascinating, but I think that the sites in Orkney are more interesting and authentic.

batman2525

June 21st longest daylight hours of the year....it didn't get dark until almost 11 pm in the UK....it was also my Dads birthday...he would have been 90 on summer solstice day.

• Like 2