cost for a colonoscopy?

I need to have my regular 5 year colonoscopy pretty soon and I am thinking it might be cheaper to have it done in the Philippines when I visit later this summer. Does anybody know what a colonoscopy costs there? And if polyps are discovered/removed during the procedure how much extra does that cost? My wife is Filipina but we don't live there, so I am not covered by Philhealth. I will be paying out of pocket for the entire procedure. Thanks...

Good question if anyone can answer?  I am 3 years past due on mine, and was planning a trip back to the US where my Blue Cross/Blue Shield might still pay for it, if I still am covered for that. Still might be cheaper to have it here? Anyone know about the price and maybe the quality? In California you only get 2 hours to recover and walk out.

gasturbine

Yes I have had 3 colonoscopy's done at Chong Hua Hospital here in Cebu. Cost is between php 18000 to php 30000 depending onthe type anesthesia requirements. They were superior to the colonoscopies I had performed in the USA. Two doctors I can with confidence recommend are Dr. Rody Go or Dr. Lou Dy Angelica Limpaquato . Dr.Lim is a tiny lady on 3rd floor of MedicalArts Building and Dr. Rody Go is the complete opposite on the first floor, a very excellent doctor who I have used twice.

Have also used Dr. Lim as well. Both are excellent.

• Like 1
rfm010

had mine done at veterans hospital in quezon city.  connected with the doctor through shoe mart's medical city group or whatever they call themselves.  got the feeling that the doctor and anesthesiologist sort of took the cash payment under the table, avoiding the hospitals middleman fee.  given all that they charged about p14,000 cash.  don't know if that was higher or lower than the going rate but they gave me a video cd that i reviewed and they seemed to do a good job.  not too fast and went all the way up.  no polyps so i don't know how that would affect costs.  friendly personnel and no hassles getting in and out.

just some general information for those who've never done it.   they say the night-before prep is the worst part and it is but it isn't a big deal.  you drink a lot of fluids and hit the can a few times.  go to the doctor, put on your gown, lie on your side, go to semi-sleep, wake up, put on your clothes, fart a bit (they pump air up your heinie to see things better), and go home.  i drove after an hour but some people take a bit longer to clear their head.

Sounds like I should just pay cash and get it in Cebu. 30,000 is still cheaper than the round trip to the States and the Hotel, etc.. I hate to crash on my brother for anything like this. Due to cancer being a bit common in my family I have had 3 of these since age 45, and yes the prep is the worst part of it. At least it was the last 3 times. The fart afterwards is the best.

throttleplate

the test is not required every 5 years,the medical assn has recommended now every 10 years.But if worried than do as you think you should.

Davaoeno

the test is not required every 5 years,the medical assn has recommended now every 10 years.But if worried than do as you think you should.

while that might be true there are other tests recommended every 5 years, and if you arent getting the other tests done then i suggest it might be best to get a colonoscopy every 5 years [ thats what I do ]

American Cancer Society recommendations for colorectal cancer early detection

People at average risk

The American Cancer Society believes that preventing colorectal cancer (and not just finding it early) should be a major reason for getting tested. Finding and removing polyps keeps some people from getting colorectal cancer. Tests that have the best chance of finding both polyps and cancer are preferred if these tests are available to you and you are willing to have them.

Beginning at age 50, both men and women at average risk for developing colorectal cancer should use one of the screening tests below:

Tests that find polyps and cancer
  • Flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years*
  • Colonoscopy every 10 years
  • Double-contrast barium enema every 5 years*
  • CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy) every 5 years*

Obviously people with higher than average risk should act appropriately !

Edited by Davaoeno
throttleplate

I get a colonoscopy around every april 15 thanks to the government and the IRS

• Like 2
Davaoeno

I get a colonoscopy around every april 15 thanks to the government and the IRS

just because you can get someone to invade you rectally for free every year does not mean its a good idea !!

A colonoscopy poses few risks. Rarely, complications of a colonoscopy may include:

• Adverse reaction to the sedative used during the exam
  • Bleeding from the site where a tissue sample (biopsy) was taken or a polyp or other abnormal tissue was removed
  • A tear in the colon or rectum wall (perforation)

After discussing the risks of colonoscopy with you, your doctor will ask you to sign a consent form authorizing the procedure.

oops ! my bad !!!    i missed the sarcasm !!

Edited by Davaoeno