Sign in to follow this  
goggleye

Libagon in South Leyte?

goggleye

Yesterday the chef prepared sweet and sour parrot fish with carrots  ,  everything here they cook is so good near Sogod.:-)    Another cousin took us all on a drive down to Liloan and a falls along the way then up the Pacific coast a ways to see the nice sand beaches and resorts.   nice are over there too St Bernard looked really nice and clean and peaceful.   

Thalcoozyo

.... nice and clean and peaceful.   

That sums it up very nicely.  The entire area along the coast of So. Leyte from Hinunangan south around the tip then north to Sogod... it is clean, fairly nice main hiway, it is fairly peaceful.  And that's it.  Be forewarned... I have a place in Hinunangan... it gets soooo peaceful that you salivate for some fun and excitement.

"Resorts" are NOT what most think of as a 'resort'... they are the local, mom & pop run nipa hut resorts (mostly). There isn't a bar that I know of that you can go in, relax in some aircon, and have an ice-cold beer... such simply does not exist. Grocery shopping is a pain... yes, you can shop & eat local grown foods... but there is no source for anything more. Medical care... forget it! You gotta go to Cebu.

So. Leyte is really pretty. People as a whole are very nice and friendly.  You have to make your own fun.  I doubt very seriously that any expat would want to live there full-time.  Me?... if I had to do it all over again, without the family interfering?... I'd NOT buy/build/develop in So. Leyte unless it is in close proximity to Sogod or Maasin (or Ormoc).

• Like 1

goggleye

yesterday we bought a lechon pig   -  he is waiting with a leash on his leg   -last night is tuba night :-P   i'm a tuba wimp so i drank it half coke half tuba - 

today we butchered the baboy  - it started cooking    - they are eating the fresh grilled liver with lots of rice   - they all say masarap -  serveral men in the neighborhood came over to help = there is a great communal spirit among the pinoys  - something we lost in the usa a couple generations ago  - they all enjoyed butchering the pig and getting it on the bamboo to start cooking   and it was good to see a couple of the younger guys learn how to do this tradition.  Tomorrow another cousin will take me fishing on Sogod bay - a retired fisherman with a motorized banka -  he has Parkinsons disease and speaks no English so we see how that goes - but if you have patience and a good spirit everything is good  ;-)   Life is short - enjoy it while you can.   

• Like 4

Hogan1950

Sounds like you are having a great time goggleye.  We were there in May.  Well, actually in Nahulid, the wife's hometown.  We were in Libagon a few times, but mostly to the church and school.  Are there still all those road construction sites on the way to Sogod? Have you been to Biasong Spring?  Any plans to go to Uwan-Uwanan Falls?  I want to go, but my wife won't let me, as she figures I am too out of shape for the 2 hour trek to get there.  She might be right.

We have talked about building a house around Nahulid.  It is quiet and clean; very relaxing.  Sogod is 10 minutes away by motorbike (well, 15 if the wife is along, as she is a worried back seat driver) which is fine for everyday shopping needs.  Relatively easy to get to Tacloban or Cebu if need something else.  The downside is all the relatives there.  They are very nice people and don't ask for much, but we do worry that might change if there full time.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying yourself.  You should pm me your sweetie's name.  Curious if my wife knows her, as she seems to know everyone in that area, hahaha.

goggleye

yup still lots of construction  - i guess relatives can be an asset or a problem  - we went to hindag-an falls  - i'm probably too out of shape too :-P

goggleye

Back in the usa now   -  had a great time in libagon  - stayed three nights at the cherry blossom in ermita before i left   -   Its a nice place - And i seriously might want to settle there -  there are some downsides  - takes a bit of doing to get there   - a flight to tacloban and a long van ride   -  not much in health care if i get older  -  but other than that  - I like it  - I'm a simple guy  - just like the province and its pace.    anyone have any questions about Libagon? - I have a little insight now  :-)

• Like 1

angbumabasa

Thalcoozyo

Referring to S. Leyte...."I doubt very seriously that any expat would want to live there full-time."

Wrong. From the strait in the east to Bato in the west, full-time expats from the UK, Germany, Sweden, Australia and the US are all over the place. They just don't interact much with each other, and having some sort of expat organization. Typically they're just not the urban, "fun loving" types. One even came here as a PCV, and stayed once his tour was over.  Others run businesses stretching from legal loan sharks to raising cocks to owning resorts (one a multi-storied hotel with all the fixens). Most just quietly retired and minding their own business.

Jim Sibbick

takes a bit of doing to get there   - a flight to tacloban and a long van ride   -  

This is the Living in Cebu Forums, I presume that means you have an interest in Cebu.

You can fly into Cebu and then catch a boat to Maasin City with Cokaliong

goggleye

the best thing about libagon was spending time with sweetie - she is the best thing in my life

angbumabasa

This is the Living in Cebu Forums, I presume that means you have an interest in Cebu.

Jim............as I recall you came down this way several years ago and stayed at the Country Lodge. Had an occasion to drive by there this last Sunday and they are having major renovations. Chismis here has it that it's something big. And your right about that Tacloban/van  business. Did that once almost twenty years ago and haven't done it since.

Hogan1950

Easiest to way get to Libagon from Cebu would be to take Gloria Shipping Lines to Hilongos, then take Gloria's bus service to Libagon.  We went that way in May to get to Nahulid, and it is about 10KM farther on to get to Libagon.  To get to the other side of the bay, would likely be easier to go Maasin on the boat.

Jim Sibbick

Jim............as I recall you came down this way several years ago and stayed at the Country Lodge. Had an occasion to drive by there this last Sunday and they are having major renovations. Chismis here has it that it's something big. And your right about that Tacloban/van  business. Did that once almost twenty years ago and haven't done it since.

Yes, I have fond memories of staying at the Country Lodge

Kuting

Yes, I have fond memories of staying at the Country Lodge

you guys talking about Maasin and Country Lodge, which is coincidentally owned by one of my closest friends, is making me nostalgic!! Doesn't help that today is the town fiesta as well... I miss home!

Jim Sibbick

you guys talking about Maasin and Country Lodge, 

Yes

Kuting

Yes

lol Jim. Did you miss my next line saying your talk is making me nostalgic? Hehe. Enjoy Leyte, Jim! Do you go to kalanggaman island often as you're already in Palompon? Such a paradise!